2/16 Roll Call vs FSU (Post Game Ice Cream Party?)

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
So the silver linings.

Jose had a nice game which was very good to see.
Sjolund continues to cement himself as a 3 point threat which will be much needed and seems to be starting to understand the defensive side a bit more
Defense still held them to under 40% shooting and 30% from behind the arc. As frustrating as it is and as bleak as the outlook is for the future, as long as we have a good defense I see a chance of getting things going (not this year mind you).

The bad
Devoe did not have a good game. I'm not overly woried about it because freshmen will have ups and downs but was hoping he'd keep up his streak of good games.
AD and Banks were completely outmatched. I'm not surprised by this because of what FSU has, and thought it was the reason this is a bad matchup for us, but we need them to give us at least 20 combined points. They were 3-16 and just outmatched.
Alston playing 17 minutes. What really stood out to me was he had a break with Jose open on the other wing, and Alston puts his head down and banks the underside of the rim with the ball. Later Moore is in the exact same situation and drops it off to Jose for the layup. We have a lot of guys who make mistakes. But when Sjolund blows a defensive assignment at least he gives us a 3 point threat. When Moore is standing around too much at least he is gaining experience. When Wright bricks a 3, at least he brings length and athleticism to the other end. When Banks fumbles the ball away at least he is giving us a defensive presence. Same can be said for most of our team. But Alston gives us nothing and shouldn't be playing 7 minutes much less 17.

Going forward
For next year, defense should still be pretty good. Offensively I think we have the pieces to be solid if a year of experience can bring more consistency. Jose and Devoe have both shown at times of being able to be leading scorers. Banks and Sjolund should be able to give us nice complimentary scoring. If we could rely on those 4 to give us 50 or so then between Cole, Usher, Haywood, and Moore you would hope we could get 20 more on most days. However, even if experience brings consistency it's hard to really get by without someone who can go off for 25+ sometimes.

I agree with everything you said. On Devoe not playing well, Pastner said in his post game interview with Andy Demetra after the game that both Devoe and Alvarado were game time decisions on whether or not to play because they had both missed 2-3 days of practice with flu. No excuses, but this may have effected Devoe's play.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to insult our guys, but I just can not believe we can’t recruit better than what we have.

I don’t know if the major problem is CJP coaching or recruiting however. I know CJP said it would take time but that doesn’t mean we should not be getting 1 stud per year.

Way to many games where we get our brains beat out.

GT mbb should be money in the bank.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with everything you said. On Devoe not playing well, Pastner said in his post game interview with Andy Demetra after the game that both Devoe and Alvarado were game time decisions on whether or not to play because they had both missed 2-3 days of practice with flu. No excuses, but this may have effected Devoe's play.
Of course he is using it as an excuse otherwise why bring it up. It seems everyone in this team has had the flu! Be interesting to see how well we would play if he went down with it

Deleted member 2897

I just read that half of our team right now has the flu. It wasn’t just the 3 a few days ago - Jose and Devoe too. Why can’t we ever catch a single gosh darned break in life with anything? Jiminy Christmas.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Things get better, right?

I've been a Tech fan since 2011, so not realistically that long but the thought of going on a 28+ year NCAA Tournament drought like fellow P5 program Rutgers has my skin crawling.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
What's the deal with Cole...is he ill? Everyone played today aside from Sly and walk-ons so why not give him a shot. He has had some good moments.

Deleted member 2897

What's the deal with Cole...is he ill? Everyone played today aside from Sly and walk-ons so why not give him a shot. He has had some good moments.

He missed the previous game because of the flue. Half of our team had it in the last week. Devoe, Alvarado, Philips, Cole and at least 1 more guy whose name escapes me. And Skolunds defense looks sick.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. It is a shame. We probably wouldn't have this problem if we played in podunk middle of nowhere, but in ATL, there is no shortage of visitor fans for pretty much every ACC or SEC team we play. Maybe when we remodeled, we should have reduced seating capacity to 4,000.
It was 6000 at capacity when I was in school and with morrison as coach we were lucky to have 2000 at the games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Is his daughter single? Looks about my age. I’m available
She is an outstanding tennis player and went to UNC where she played. I always wanted her to play for GT and our tennis team was really good then as well. She went over to the dark side. Wonder if she took some of those AFAM courses.