2/14 - GT @ Wake Forest

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. We have some guys that are pretty......uninspired.....on defense. I also think Ben is getting hung out to dry a lot on our zone rotation which sometimes leads to him trying to close out in the corners and leads to teams getting easy layups.

I wouldn't read too much into the results of the rest of the season - good or bad. We were actually decent by the stats on 3 point D early in the year but have been decimated since. Now we are appropriately going to play the young uns and will see a lot of issues on both sides of the ball. Including the dynamic you mentioned. Plus others.

It ain't gonna be pretty for the most part. In reality this season needs to get over.

Deleted member 2897

I wouldn't read too much into the results of the rest of the season - good or bad. We were actually decent by the stats on 3 point D early in the year but have been decimated since. Now we are appropriately going to play the young uns and will see a lot of issues on both sides of the ball. Including the dynamic you mentioned. Plus others.

It ain't gonna be pretty for the most part. In reality this season needs to get over.

We have 6 players by my count who have missed at least a third of the season this year. Not many teams can do anything if left with that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner has at least 3 more yrs, anything less than that and GT owes him 100% of his contract.

His contract isn't super rich in terms of compensation - it's actually bottom third of the conference until the last 2 yrs, but it is guaranteed through yr 5 since he was told he was walking into a total rebuild and the first 2 yrs were expected to be complete s***.

Right now Lammers is the only teammate that has played every game and you can make a strong case that him playing every game was a mistake.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
The stats that jumped out at me were--our 3 pt -11%, theirs 51%, and their Asst/TO was 17/5. Really bad def.
(btw-on 3 pt shooting-I play in an over 55 league, we have a guy 69 yrs old who hit 6-10 3s the other night)
I still say if JP doesn't get a decent big man transfer for next yr , it will be a struggle also.(maybe not to this degree but still rough)
If we want to go and expect to go to the big tourney then our recruiting then our recruiting is going to have to improve greatly. Which means getting very highly ranked players every year. At least one per year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Yes; but we would need even higher ranked players. I know Josh was not ranked high, but we were lucky with him. BB high school players are much easier to rank than football players. Those high rank guys are usually correct. And I'm saying guys in the top 10 verses someone in the top 30-50. Now I am not saying I'm not happy about Devoe. Also what really helped Cremins was Brook Steppy (sp) becoming academically in eligible so he was then good to go in Bobby's first year. That made it easier for Price to see what can happen with Bobby being the coach. Then for years we were getting a top 10 player for years.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The list of top ten recruits at Tech is a very short list.

OTOH the list of 20-50 ranked kids who came in, busted their butts and wildly exceeded expectations is pretty long. And don't forget the kids ranked significantly lower (many outside top 100 and/or 3*) who made the rankings look silly

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Before we start running CJP out of town, let's remember a couple of facts about Tech hoops

ONE winning season in ACC play in the last 22 years

7 winning conference records since rejoining the ACC (39 seasons)

If CJP can simply get us close to .500 in the league on a consistent basis, he will be as good or better than our long history suggests

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
The list of top ten recruits at Tech is a very short list.

OTOH the list of 20-50 ranked kids who came in, busted their butts and wildly exceeded expectations is pretty long. And don't forget the kids ranked significantly lower (many outside top 100 and/or 3*) who made the rankings look silly
Yes that is a short list; but add in the next 10 .Those that made it in about 17-20 years: Anderson,Scott, Dalrymple, Ferrel,Hammonds,Marberry,Best,Forest, Sally,Jones, and probably a couple more.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes; but we would need even higher ranked players. I know Josh was not ranked high, but we were lucky with him. BB high school players are much easier to rank than football players. Those high rank guys are usually correct. And I'm saying guys in the top 10 verses someone in the top 30-50. Now I am not saying I'm not happy about Devoe. Also what really helped Cremins was Brook Steppy (sp) becoming academically in eligible so he was then good to go in Bobby's first year. That made it easier for Price to see what can happen with Bobby being the coach. Then for years we were getting a top 10 player for years.

Cremins went 3-11 in the ACC his first year, 10-16 overall. Price didn't come to GT because of that. He went to GT because Cremins is the most positive dude in the world. Price wanted to play for him and believed he would be able to build something from scratch, just as he was saying he would. He believed other good players would want to be part of that too.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Cremins went 3-11 in the ACC his first year, 10-16 overall. Price didn't come to GT because of that. He went to GT because Cremins is the most positive dude in the world. Price wanted to play for him and believed he would be able to build something from scratch, just as he was saying he would. He believed other good players would want to be part of that too.
Getting Steppe back really helped the outlook a lot. I never said they had good year much less a great one.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Getting Steppe back really helped the outlook a lot. I never said they had good year much less a great one.

In what way would having a guy play one year "help the outlook" ? What do you think that means? If you are trying to say some energy returned to the program that is exactly what has happened with Pastner his first 2 seasons.

This is baffling stuff.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
In what way would having a guy play one year "help the outlook" ? What do you think that means? If you are trying to say some energy returned to the program that is exactly what has happened with Pastner his first 2 seasons.

This is baffling stuff.
I guess you know Steppe was a great player going into his senior year under Dwayne Morrison. But Steppe became ineligible because of academics. That year turned out to be horrible and Morrison was fired. Loosing Steppe had been a better player than Josh and that is imho. The next year here Comes Cremins and Steppe and the team had some good moments if not a good year, but also with Price coming in the team had it going from there. Price did not play with Steppe, but everything fell into place because of Steppe being there for Bobby. At least a LOT quicker.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am missing something. We won 0 ACC games the year before Bobby and won 3 ACC games his first year with Steppe - and that is a better situation than CJP's first year winning 8 his first year and 4 maybe 5 his second? I am certainly not ready to crown CJP the next Cremmins by any stretch, but also trying to say we are worse off now than after Bobby's first year is way misplaced too.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess you know Steppe was a great player going into his senior year under Dwayne Morrison. But Steppe became ineligible because of academics. That year turned out to be horrible and Morrison was fired. Loosing Steppe had been a better player than Josh and that is imho. The next year here Comes Cremins and Steppe and the team had some good moments if not a good year, but also with Price coming in the team had it going from there. Price did not play with Steppe, but everything fell into place because of Steppe being there for Bobby. At least a LOT quicker.

I know what happened. I know who played with whom.

The truth is that Cremins energized the program. Pastner has done that also.

You seem to be saying Cremins energized the program either because or better due to Steppe playing one year. I don't think that is true.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I know what happened. I know who played with whom.

The truth is that Cremins energized the program. Pastner has done that also.

You seem to be saying Cremins energized the program either because or better due to Steppe playing one year. I don't think that is true.
Getting Steppe back really sped the process up. If nor Steppe coming in with Cremins there was a great player who showed recruits what Cremins could do with e'm. I truly believe that!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yes that is a short list; but add in the next 10 .Those that made it in about 17-20 years: Anderson,Scott, Dalrymple, Ferrel,Hammonds,Marberry,Best,Forest, Sally,Jones, and probably a couple more.
Best, forest, Sally and Jones, while very good were not top 10 players if that is what you are trying to say. They weren’t too 20 either. Bruce was our first real blue
Chipper but don’t believe he would have been any higher than Devoe. Ferrell probably wasn’t either but he was ranked pretty highly irrc.