1984 Victory over UGA in Athens

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
A decent VCR recording of the game in Athens between the Yellow Jackets and the Bulldogs, complete with commercials. The audio is from the Tech radio broadcast and features Al Ciraldo and Kim King. This was still the era of the star running back who carried the ball most of the game -- unlike the platooning RBs we see today, especially in CPJ's system. For those too young to remember or not yet born, this game features Ramblin' Robert Lavette, arguably one of the very best Yellow Jacket RBs of the post-Dodd era and the best since Eddie Lee Ivery. He gets off to a slow start in the beginning of the game, but in the second half you really see his talents. This game also features Ken Whisenhunt and new Tech QB John Dewberry, who had transferred over from UGA!

Tech hadn't posted a victory over UGA since 1977, a span of 7 seasons. In many ways it was similar to 2008, when Paul Johnson's Jackets beat the Bulldogs in Athens after a string of 7 straight defeats. Tech was on the verge of Georgia beating them 8 times in a row, which would have tied the streak Dodd posted over the Bullodgs (still referred to as "The Drought" in Athens).

What was different about this game was the state of the program... Pepper Rodgers had some success against the Bulldogs during his tenure, but blew a large lead in 1978 (and still could have won the game with a bit better on-field coaching that day). The athletic talent between the two programs was for the most part equal until about that time. When Coach Rodgers was fired at the end of the '79 season, the football program was in shambles and on the verge of being shut down, if some sources are to be believed. Curry inherited a struggling program that managed a pair of incredible victories over Alabama, but lost to pretty much everyone else. Meanwhile over in Athens, the Bulldogs won their championship and Herschel fever was catching on all over the state of Georgia. By the mid '80s no one cared about Tech anymore, least of all the media. The question was, could Tech ever compete with UGA again?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I am pretty sure I was at that game. I was a Cub Scout at the time, and we were ushers at a UGA/Tech game around that time.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for video.

Tough ol.
+
Great play calling
(Quick hitters, power sweeps, qb draws, a little passing)
=
A real *** whipping.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
A decent VCR recording of the game in Athens between the Yellow Jackets and the Bulldogs, complete with commercials. The audio is from the Tech radio broadcast and features Al Ciraldo and Kim King. This was still the era of the star running back who carried the ball most of the game -- unlike the platooning RBs we see today, especially in CPJ's system. For those too young to remember or not yet born, this game features Ramblin' Robert Lavette, arguably one of the very best Yellow Jacket RBs of the post-Dodd era and the best since Eddie Lee Ivery. He gets off to a slow start in the beginning of the game, but in the second half you really see his talents. This game also features Ken Whisenhunt and new Tech QB John Dewberry, who had transferred over from UGA!

Tech hadn't posted a victory over UGA since 1977, a span of 7 seasons. In many ways it was similar to 2008, when Paul Johnson's Jackets beat the Bulldogs in Athens after a string of 7 straight defeats. Tech was on the verge of Georgia beating them 8 times in a row, which would have tied the streak Dodd posted over the Bullodgs (still referred to as "The Drought" in Athens).

What was different about this game was the state of the program... Pepper Rodgers had some success against the Bulldogs during his tenure, but blew a large lead in 1978 (and still could have won the game with a bit better on-field coaching that day). The athletic talent between the two programs was for the most part equal until about that time. When Coach Rodgers was fired at the end of the '79 season, the football program was in shambles and on the verge of being shut down, if some sources are to be believed. Curry inherited a struggling program that managed a pair of incredible victories over Alabama, but lost to pretty much everyone else. Meanwhile over in Athens, the Bulldogs won their championship and Herschel fever was catching on all over the state of Georgia. By the mid '80s no one cared about Tech anymore, least of all the media. The question was, could Tech ever compete with UGA again?

WOW,thanks Old South! Just to hear Al Ciraldo on WGST again was classic! What with being 73 and a Tech fan forever I've seenTech football from being the "The Game" every Saturday to now almost irrelavant now. To answer your question now, I don't think Tech can compete day in and out with ugag,Clemson,FSU,Miami,NC and VT.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Another big thanks. That was one of my favorites of all time. As you say, many similarities to 2008. The losing streak had become unbearable and the win was the more satisfying. One personal difference was I thought we had an even chance in 2008. I had little confidence that we might get the win in 1984. I would say there is nothing arguable about Robert Lavette's status. I'd call him the best we ever had, but even if you concede Eddie Lee was better, he surely was a close second.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
WOW,thanks Old South! Just to hear Al Ciraldo on WGST again was classic! What with being 73 and a Tech fan forever I've seenTech football from being the "The Game" every Saturday to now almost irrelavant now. To answer your question now, I don't think Tech can compete day in and out with ugag,Clemson,FSU,Miami,NC and VT.

And yet, they do...day in and day out. Thank goodness the teams don't listen to such nonsense.

I do agree it is great to hear Al and TYLH. Soundtrack of my youth.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The Average attendance is greater now than it was back " in the day". The fact that GT competes using actual SA's vs " green eggs and ham readers" should be a reason to make the GT game " The Game" every Saturday in your world. It was never " The Game" in another school fans world. Maybe in the 1940's before TV and a train ran into Atlanta so people could see the game. This year GT beat FSC , close loss to NC and UGA. Last year beat Clemson, Miami, UGA and a close game with NC.

Last edited:

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game. ugag thought they were so good. 4 years off a MNC. Had beaten GT 7 years in a row. I saw fans of theirs walking around with buttons on that said, "Tech will always sux!"

We almost beat them the year before, and we just dominated them in this game. It was fabulous!

Really fun to hear Ciraldo, Kim. Best announcing team we ever had.

So many good players in that game. 2 CFHOF Swilling, Butler; so many good GT players: Davis, Dewberry, Swilling, Ingram (RIP), Roof, Lavette, Weisenhunt , Bell.

Think Pulpwood Smith for UGAg ended up illiterate and homeless at some point. Remember that the Jan Kemp days were in full swing with hundreds of athletes never getting out of the remedial studies program. A very dirty program at the time (and had been for a while).

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
This was the game that Dewberry had a stress fracture in his foot, the UGA coaches knew it and had the GA players attempt to stomp on his foot (to get him out of the game) when the teams unpiled after a play. Didn't work this time like it did with ELI and Nesbitt.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I loved Al Ciraldo and I will always remember his voice and his style, but let's be honest, when you listened to his call, you never really knew what was going on in the game until KK cleared things up. He would make a two yard dump off sound like a 40 yard completion. The yard lines were often messed up badly etc etc. That was part of what was so cool about listening to his games, the mystery.

Close your eyes and hear AC's voice and distinctive inflection:

Toe meets leather and a high, long, spiraling, wobbly, short, end over end kick, fielded at the ........

It is high enough.......iiiiiiiiiiiiit iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis .....under the crossbar, no good

Drops back to pass.....looking down field......pressure.......starts to run..... throwing........COMPLETE!!.... the receiver knocked off his pins.......2 yard loss.

Even with the fun I am poking at him, the man loved TECH and that was obvious in every syllable that came out of his mouth. Thanks for posting this. It really took me back for a couple hours to a special time in my life. May AC and KK rest in peace. Go Jackets!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
This was the game that Dewberry had a stress fracture in his foot, the UGA coaches knew it and had the GA players attempt to stomp on his foot (to get him out of the game) when the teams unpiled after a play. Didn't work this time like it did with ELI and Nesbitt.
Just for the record, I did not hear or hear about any coach telling anyone to " stomp on his foot". I did not even know he was injured. He certainly did not play like he had a stress fracture.
I was at the game. ugag thought they were so good. 4 years off a MNC. Had beaten GT 7 years in a row. I saw fans of theirs walking around with buttons on that said, "Tech will always sux!"

We almost beat them the year before, and we just dominated them in this game. It was fabulous!

Really fun to hear Ciraldo, Kim. Best announcing team we ever had.

So many good players in that game. 2 CFHOF Swilling, Butler; so many good GT players: Davis, Dewberry, Swilling, Ingram (RIP), Roof, Lavette, Weisenhunt , Bell.

Think Pulpwood Smith for UGAg ended up illiterate and homeless at some point. Remember that the Jan Kemp days were in full swing with hundreds of athletes never getting out of the remedial studies program. A very dirty program at the time (and had been for a while).
During those years Most if not all colleges had players who would not stay eligible today. Including GT. Pulpwood is a good guy. He went thru a rough period but came out of it and last time I spoke with him was working in a school system. I did not get to Athens until my JR year so I never took any of the " below 100" classes. Back in the day you just had to have passing hours, it did not matter if they counted towards graduation. Sad really.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Just for the record, I did not hear or hear about any coach telling anyone to " stomp on his foot". I did not even know he was injured. He certainly did not play like he had a stress fracture.
During those years Most if not all colleges had players who would not stay eligible today. Including GT. Pulpwood is a good guy. He went thru a rough period but came out of it and last time I spoke with him was working in a school system. I did not get to Athens until my JR year so I never took any of the " below 100" classes. Back in the day you just had to have passing hours, it did not matter if they counted towards graduation. Sad really.

Love what you can contribute to the board and what your son contributes on the field. Thanks for adding to the discussion!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This win...was like mana from heaven for me. The only wins in football vs the mutts that I had seen were jv games till this W.