#14 in the country

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree, too little data to be sure. We have enough data on TW to know that he would move the ball and score a lot of points. However, if it came down to the end of the game and you needed someone to pull the game out for you, it probably wasn't going to happen with TW. He was a superb technician of the offense, but not a crunch-time guy.

However, what I saw last Saturday was someone willing us to win, a la JN. I agree, GSU is not a reasonable enough test to validate the hypothesis, but I submit we'll see more against better defenses. I may be incorrect, but that's my thought based on the limited data provided to-date.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm a huge fan of TW. In fact, I place him higher up my GT QB list than JN. Some people give a massive double take when they hear that, but it is my opinion nonetheless. JT lacks the experience running the offense that TW had and he has a little bit to learn in that department, but even with those shortcomings, he has already raised the bar. The ability to outrun the defense, hit the edge much faster, buy time in the pocket, and throw on the run will translate well against all defenses. Will the sledding get tougher for JT? Most likely yes, but don't make the mistake of thinking his attributes only work against the bottom dwellers. JT poses a huge threat to every team we face. The windows are going to get a little smaller so the execution will need to become more crisp. We can hurt defenses more ways now. That helps. It is hard to stop everything, especially when you have guys being optioned off.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
TW did v VPI. His D let him down.
D held VT to 17 points during regulation in 2012. That should have been enough for a win along with the short field created off a turnover that banked us 7 points. Just like offense scoring 30+ and holding the ball should usually be enough for a win.

It was heck of a drive by TW to give us the lead though...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
D held VT to 17 points during regulation in 2012. That should have been enough for a win along with the short field created off a turnover that banked us 7 points. Just like offense scoring 30+ and holding the ball should usually be enough for a win.

It was heck of a drive by TW to give us the lead though...

Um, yeah, that's kind of how it works. JN doesn't get to make the OT win v WF without being kept to 24 in regulation. JT doesn't get to do it v GSou without being kept scoreless in the second half up to that point. And in both cases the D only kept it close.

It seems to me that in a thread about QB play, it makes little sense to say one QB has it while another doesn't simply from supporting team play.

JT scores a TD with less than a min left, and special teams and D holdup. He has it. TW does it, but st and D crap the bed. He doesn't? TW also drove 49 yds to long FG range as time ran out v Utah, but FG missed.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a huge fan of TW. In fact, I place him higher up my GT QB list than JN. Some people give a massive double take when they hear that, but it is my opinion nonetheless. JT lacks the experience running the offense that TW had and he has a little bit to learn in that department, but even with those shortcomings, he has already raised the bar. The ability to outrun the defense, hit the edge much faster, buy time in the pocket, and throw on the run will translate well against all defenses. Will the sledding get tougher for JT? Most likely yes, but don't make the mistake of thinking his attributes only work against the bottom dwellers. JT poses a huge threat to every team we face. The windows are going to get a little smaller so the execution will need to become more crisp. We can hurt defenses more ways now. That helps. It is hard to stop everything, especially when you have guys being optioned off.
I agree. TW was flat-out solid as our QB. I think much of the complaints about TW are tricks of the eye; he wasn't showy/flashy.

V__ L__ was showy/flashy but for whatever reason, could not get comfortable running the option the way it needed to be run.

We didn't know what a gem we had with TW without reviewing the tapes and using hindsight. TW was a good QB.

Defenses get stretched very thin when they have to account for the QB running the ball. They get even thinner if we can successfully option off 1-2 players. Thin defenses result in busting off more 20+ yd plays. JT is dangerous enough, that his presence thins the defense. You will see more explosive plays, although not necessarily from the QB position. The threat from the QB to out run the defense to the goal-line is enough.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Um, yeah, that's kind of how it works. JN doesn't get to make the OT win v WF without being kept to 24 in regulation. JT doesn't get to do it v GSou without being kept scoreless in the second half up to that point. And in both cases the D only kept it close.

It seems to me that in a thread about QB play, it makes little sense to say one QB has it while another doesn't simply from supporting team play.

JT scores a TD with less than a min left, and special teams and D holdup. He has it. TW does it, but st and D crap the bed. He doesn't? TW also drove 49 yds to long FG range as time ran out v Utah, but FG missed.
Yeah, my comment wasn't on which QB 'has it'. Just on our defense in that game.

JCTNJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
His play for the touchdown to win vs GA Southern reminded me of Joe Hamilton getting to the edge- breaking down the defense, and the outcome reminded me of Joe's many terrific comeback wins. I hope he approaches the success Joe had.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
The difference with TW is that he never did what JT did against GSU or JN did against Wake Forest, and that is put the team on his shoulders at crunch time and get it done! I love TW for what he did. He is an ambassador for GT in what he did and what he's doing. He tried really hard, right up to the end of several games, but he never pulled one out that I can remember.
Sounds like Reggie.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We don't win today with any other QB from the CPJ era. JT left some throws on the field today, but he was just too much for the VT defense to account for. He put them on their heels much of the time. They have a quality defense. At this point I think that is beyond debate. Just look at what ECU is doing to UNC. I was worried near the end because JT had to be gassed. 160+ yards rushing plus all those scrambles AND yards called back. The kid is tough because he played through it when it mattered. It is hard to concentrate when you are exhausted.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
His ranking should go up after today and he should start getting some national press. Best to me is the play with the game on the line both today and last week. Such a tough environment and on 4th and 15, his pass is perfect.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomer nailed it with analysis (once again). thanks for all your great insights! Writing this before today's game was prophetic:)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
When JT masters the offense to Tevin's level we will be at another level offensively. If TW had enjoyed JT's speed and arm, imagine how many more games we would have been one.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish more of our fans could raise up our current QB with praise without feeling the need to piss on prior QBs. So thanx boomer and several others. To the piss pots that I refer to....eff y'all
Yep. This kind of negativity is seen by current player and recruits; and it hurts team cohesion and recruiting...

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep. This kind of negativity is seen by current player and recruits; and it hurts team cohesion and recruiting...
Boo frikin Hoo.
Grow a pair.

This message board is tame compared to others I've read. If recruits are looking around at all, they would see that we are just as passionate and more civil than any program around.

Have u seen the dawg boards? 10x worse and it doesn't seem to hurt their recruiting.

If players and recruits aren't smart enough or tough enough to deal with critics, how do you expect them to deal with UGA?

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish more of our fans could raise up our current QB with praise without feeling the need to piss on prior QBs. So thanx boomer and several others. To the piss pots that I refer to....eff y'all
If Reggie, Josh, Tevin and JT were here now, i would pass out the flowers, have everyone clip them to their hair, crank up the Joan Baez tunes, hold hands with them and sing kumbaya. If we were in Denver, we could even pass around the weed while we are singing.

Peace, Love and happiness for all.