How many games will GT win @VT?

Votes: 12 28.6%

Votes: 11 26.2%

Votes: 15 35.7%

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Am I a troll if I mention the next W will be 1400 career wins for CDH?

Also... I have a technical question. I can recall at least once when Coach Hall was suspended for a game. It happened since Ramsey arrived because CJR had the reigns that game. Does/Did Hall get 'credit' for that victory? Just curious.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
May not be a popular take but it’s time for big boy baseball:
Bechetti 2B
Geilser 3B
Jones 1B
and for the love of God Parker Brosius RF (They need to stop messing with this kid)
Kerce and Jaros can be late inning replacements or DH. If they make a run it will need to be with the older guys. I’m not saying anything negative about Kerce or Jaros they both have bright futures. Hall can’t keep playing with the lineup at this point. Lock in and let’s ride.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were going to go ham on fake tech, just thought it would have been spread over 3 games. We are a better team than them, need to show it again today. Warm weather, hot GT!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Am I a troll if I mention the next W will be 1400 career wins for CDH?

Also... I have a technical question. I can recall at least once when Coach Hall was suspended for a game. It happened since Ramsey arrived because CJR had the reigns that game. Does/Did Hall get 'credit' for that victory? Just curious.
I believe that if a coach starts a game and gets ejected, he gets the win (or loss if they lose). If another coach starts the next game, the coach that started the game gets credit for the win. So in this case, Ramsey.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Momentum has really swung last 10 days. Need to keep it up. Wish we could avoid the intermittent we seem disinterested games. Things like pulling Lackey may seem small but they set a tone and an expectation.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Momentum has really swung last 10 days. Need to keep it up. Wish we could avoid the intermittent we seem disinterested games. Things like pulling Lackey may seem small but they set a tone and an expectation.
This whole season has been full of swings. I think this team played a red-hot offense in VT, Saturday's game now withstanding. They weathered the storm well. If we can keep pace and avoid the sweep in C'ville, good. If we win the series, even better.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that was fun and exactly why we need John Giesler in the lineup.

He just has a presence that Carson hasn't developed yet. I believe he will but it'll take time.
That's the second time i saw tech down 6-0 (nc state) and 7-0 (va tech) and I had obligations with my family that I missed both of the comebacks so next time if we get down like that early....please tell me to not watch remainder of the game :)

What is absolutely great about the comeback today and taking the series vs the chokies is it gives us momentum and it makes the next series that much more important.

Our next four games are very important imo if we are to make the tournament. We currently sit at 66 in RPI. Auburn is at 40 and UVA is at 9.

I think we really need to go 2-2 this week.

Top 35 RPI typically gets you consideration for the bubble so we must beat Auburn on the road imo. Big game tuesday night. Let's be real though about the UVA series on the road....it's going to be very tough. Ask UNCheat that question. I'm hoping we can mash up in Charlottesville.

I agree with FittedJacket about Big Boy baseball with one slight difference...I'd definitely go with Giesler at 3b and Cam at 1b. I just think Carson is a better all around player than Beccheti...freshmen or not. No slight against Beccheti but I just feel Carson gives us the better threat offensively and isn't a liability at 2b.

Winning today was huge so as to get us to 7-8 vs 6-9 in conference.
I think winning the home series' against Duke & Miami and stealing at least one series on the road against UVA, FSU, or Clemson would get us to .500. Just can't get swept however a sweep for us could be huge.

We have 19 games left. I believe 12-7 gets us a bid depending on the acc tourney
We shall see but its good that the next four games become that much more important.

I can't stand playing the what if game but my oh my how holding that 6 run lead late against uga at Cool Ray and Game 2 vs BC (so many runners lob)...we could be 24-10 with a top 40 rpi....that's how close we are.

I'm heading to Auburn on Tuesday....Go Get Em Boys!!!

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
This whole season has been full of swings. I think this team played a red-hot offense in VT, Saturday's game now withstanding. They weathered the storm well. If we can keep pace and avoid the sweep in C'ville, good. If we win the series, even better.
Yes, this is an extremely streaky team. The season so far has been: Win 6 in a row, lose 5 out of 6, win 9 in a row, lose 6 in a row, win 6 out of 8. I have a theory on why this is the case, but the theory is fundamentally negative so I'll keep it to myself. Let's cheer for the team to keep this 8 game streak going positively. Unfortunately, past history says it is time for the worm to turn back towards the bad. We need Logan McGuire to not allow that to happen Tuesday night. As the saying goes, in baseball momentum is only as strong as the next game's starting pitcher.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, this is an extremely streaky team. The season so far has been: Win 6 in a row, lose 5 out of 6, win 9 in a row, lose 6 in a row, win 6 out of 8. I have a theory on why this is the case, but the theory is fundamentally negative so I'll keep it to myself. Let's cheer for the team to keep this 8 game streak going positively. Unfortunately, past history says it is time for the worm to turn back towards the bad. We need Logan McGuire to not allow that to happen Tuesday night. As the saying goes, in baseball momentum is only as strong as the next game's starting pitcher.
Likewise... this weekend.
This is how runs were scored after a 1-1 1st inning Friday.

VT 10 unanswered FRI
GT 19 unanswered SAT
VT 7 unanswered SUN
GT 11 unanswered SUN

Not normal has been normal with this team for years... really.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that was fun and exactly why we need John Giesler in the lineup.

He just has a presence that Carson hasn't developed yet. I believe he will but it'll take time.
That's the second time i saw tech down 6-0 (nc state) and 7-0 (va tech) and I had obligations with my family that I missed both of the comebacks so next time if we get down like that early....please tell me to not watch remainder of the game :)

What is absolutely great about the comeback today and taking the series vs the chokies is it gives us momentum and it makes the next series that much more important.

Our next four games are very important imo if we are to make the tournament. We currently sit at 66 in RPI. Auburn is at 40 and UVA is at 9.

I think we really need to go 2-2 this week.

Top 35 RPI typically gets you consideration for the bubble so we must beat Auburn on the road imo. Big game tuesday night. Let's be real though about the UVA series on the road....it's going to be very tough. Ask UNCheat that question. I'm hoping we can mash up in Charlottesville.

I agree with FittedJacket about Big Boy baseball with one slight difference...I'd definitely go with Giesler at 3b and Cam at 1b. I just think Carson is a better all around player than Beccheti...freshmen or not. No slight against Beccheti but I just feel Carson gives us the better threat offensively and isn't a liability at 2b.

Winning today was huge so as to get us to 7-8 vs 6-9 in conference.
I think winning the home series' against Duke & Miami and stealing at least one series on the road against UVA, FSU, or Clemson would get us to .500. Just can't get swept however a sweep for us could be huge.

We have 19 games left. I believe 12-7 gets us a bid depending on the acc tourney
We shall see but its good that the next four games become that much more important.

I can't stand playing the what if game but my oh my how holding that 6 run lead late against uga at Cool Ray and Game 2 vs BC (so many runners lob)...we could be 24-10 with a top 40 rpi....that's how close we are.

I'm heading to Auburn on Tuesday....Go Get Em Boys!!!
Wow, UVa is really playing some high scoring games this year. They already have 6 games in conference where both teams scored 10 or more runs. They are averaging greater than 10 runs/game in conference play, and have scored 10 or more in 10 of 18 games. They have only swept Pitt, but have beaten both North Carolina and Wake Forest at home.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, UVa is really playing some high scoring games this year. They already have 6 games in conference where both teams scored 10 or more runs. They are averaging greater than 10 runs/game in conference play, and have scored 10 or more in 10 of 18 games. They have only swept Pitt, but have beaten both North Carolina and Wake Forest at home.
Uva may have the best offense in the conference maybe besides FSU.
Pitching not quite as impressive but we are going to have really bring the bats to charlottesville.
Pitching just really needs to keep em in the yard and our defense must make plays...

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Uva may have the best offense in the conference maybe besides FSU.
Pitching not quite as impressive but we are going to have really bring the bats to charlottesville.
Pitching just really needs to keep em in the yard and our defense must make plays...
With this team, I like our odds in a shootout more than a pitchers duel.

If I game is 10-10 in the 8th, I feel ok. 1-1 in the 8th, less so.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
With this team, I like our odds in a shootout more than a pitchers duel.

If I game is 10-10 in the 8th, I feel ok. 1-1 in the 8th, less so.
I would agree completely regarding starting pitching for both teams; however, I really like how our bull pen is shaping up.

We likely wouldn't have completed today's comeback without Ben King settling things down. Brett Thomas Pitching well and Dawson Brown closing it out against the hokies.

Even Brett Barfield got out of a bases loaded jam (He created btw) with no outs and only gave up one run.

We really need Cam Hill to take this bull pen to a regional quality bull pen imo since our other lefty is now starting on Saturdays in Cam Jones.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I would agree completely regarding starting pitching for both teams; however, I really like how our bull pen is shaping up.

We likely wouldn't have completed today's comeback without Ben King settling things down. Brett Thomas Pitching well and Dawson Brown closing it out against the hokies.

Even Brett Barfield got out of a bases loaded jam (He created btw) with no outs and only gave up one run.

We really need Cam Hill to take this bull pen to a regional quality bull pen imo since our other lefty is now starting on Saturdays in Cam Jones.
Completely agree. The defense and pitching on this year's team has been much better than years past. We've made some unfortunate errors, but the talent is there and it's been great. If we can keep the roster together, next season looks good.

I'm more saying, I'd rather face a team with a buzzsaw offense and suspect pitching instead of a team with 7 quality arms that could start for most teams. We're built to compete against the former.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can keep the roster together, next season looks good.
The majority of the 14 transfers will be gone. I still believe a large portion of our own recruits will be gone for a variety of reasons. I know CDH says they won’t hit the portal as hard next year, but I don’t think he will have a choice.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree. The defense and pitching on this year's team has been much better than years past. We've made some unfortunate errors, but the talent is there and it's been great. If we can keep the roster together, next season looks good.

I'm more saying, I'd rather face a team with a buzzsaw offense and suspect pitching instead of a team with 7 quality arms that could start for most teams. We're built to compete against the former.
If someone wanted to take the time to do the statistical dive, I do not think this years team pitches or plays defense much better than last years. They clearly aren’t as offensively talented. Last year at this point, I believe last years team had a better record. With all that being said, all hail the return of caveman baseball. My guess is at least 20-25 will not return next year for various reasons including expired eligibility.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
They clearly aren’t as offensively talented. Last year at this point, I believe last years team had a better record.
Snap shot of today vs opponents YTD vs last years total/season. Given the rest of our season schedule it will be an uphill climb to do much better. Currently #6 BA, #8 ERA, #4 Fielding vs All ACC Conference only.

GT vs Opponent vs (GT last season total)
25 errors vs 31 (62)
5.53 ERA vs 7.98 (6.99)
3.04 BA vs 2.72 (3.23)
56 HRs vs 46 (90 HRs vs 92)

Conference Only (GT last season total)
12 errors vs 12 (36)
6.61 ERA vs 6.13 (6.93)
2.83 BA vs 2.99 (3.05)
21 HRs vs 27 (38 HRs vs 37)

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Snap shot of today vs opponents YTD vs last years total/season. Given the rest of our season schedule it will be an uphill climb to do much better. Currently #6 BA, #8 ERA, #4 Fielding vs All ACC Conference only.

GT vs Opponent vs (GT last season total)
25 errors vs 31 (62)
5.53 ERA vs 7.98 (6.99)
3.04 BA vs 2.72 (3.23)
56 HRs vs 46 (90 HRs vs 92)

Conference Only (GT last season total)
12 errors vs 12 (36)
6.61 ERA vs 6.13 (6.93)
2.83 BA vs 2.99 (3.05)
21 HRs vs 27 (38 HRs vs 37)
Note that scoring in tha ACC is up quite a bit in general year over year. So, an improved ERA (6.61 vs 6.93 if I'm reading your post correctly) is actually a bigger improvement than it shows. I haven't looked this week, but after last weekend the overall ACC ERA per team is up over a full run compared to last season. And that without the increased offense that usually comes with warmer weather.