How many games will GT win @VT?

Votes: 12 28.6%

Votes: 11 26.2%

Votes: 15 35.7%

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree. The defense and pitching on this year's team has been much better than years past. We've made some unfortunate errors, but the talent is there and it's been great. If we can keep the roster together, next season looks good.

I'm more saying, I'd rather face a team with a buzzsaw offense and suspect pitching instead of a team with 7 quality arms that could start for most teams. We're built to compete against the former.
I agree with all that you said above. I just would be more comfortable going pen vs pen against uva vs starter vs starter.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is the one thing I'll say about transfers out...
Not saying it couldn't happen en masse however, I will say this about players and parents regarding Coach Hall. They absolutely love Coach Hall. No question about that.

I could cite examples but I just choose not to...

I think most know my thoughts on current leadership but its been made clear to me that he certainly has his supporters and following...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here is the one thing I'll say about transfers out...
Not saying it couldn't happen en masse however, I will say this about players and parents regarding Coach Hall. They absolutely love Coach Hall. No question about that.

I could cite examples but I just choose not to...

I think most know my thoughts on current leadership but its been made clear to me that he certainly has his supporters and following...
Perhaps Hall is focused on getting guys prepped for professional baseball instead of playing winning college level baseball. his is similar to the criticism leveld at Hewitt after he lost his mojo, and i do think Hewitt said out loud that was his primary objective. If this is true, it would explain why players and parents love him but we have a lousy record.

Might even explain the slow hook he had for so many years. And it's possible he wants his pitchers focused on developing new pitches rather than sticking with what currently works for them.

NB-I'm making all of this up. Just WAGs really....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great series win. A lot of resiliency with this team.

Best series response of the year. I know we swept NC State, but to come back after 1-11 and win two is fabulous.

Of course, VT will pay the price having lost 5 of their last 6 ACC games. They may not be top 20 as their RPI has dropped to 34.

I have no idea how we'll do the second half of the ACC season but other than unranked Miami the other 4 were top 11 or better.

But at least we took down Turkey Tech.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The only conclusion I cab draw from this is we are capable of playing with anybody on any given day. This team has a high level of resiliency which allows itself to put the past behind them and concentrate on the game ahead. I do think we have a nice mix of veterans and youth that brings a high level of excitement to the team. I have to give CDH credit for recognizing the young talent he has and putting it to good use. At any given time we can have 4 or 5 freshmen on the field which is a rarity in today's game. Forget about what the stats say, our starting pitching just looks better than in past years. And I think the combination of Taylor and Hall have figured out everybody's role in the bullpen. That doesn't mean we might not see some more arms step forward before the year is done. And at the plate we have our usual share of studs but we also have more depth which has allowed us to sit some guys that go cold and give some other guys a chance to step up.

On the subject of guys leaving next year, that was always going to happen for every team in college baseball as the extra covid year will finally be behind us and the roster limits will be trimmed because of that. Obviously adding to that will be the one year transfer rentals. But I think we are in a better position to handle this year of transition than most teams. We have a pretty good nucleus of freshmen that are getting a lot of playing time this year and they won't be going anywhere.Sure there will be some 2nd or 3rd year players that are going to want to leave to seek more playing time and that's ok. Like I said the roster has to be trimmed anyway. But I'm not sure we will see as many walk away as some of you might think. Say what you will as fans, and many of you do, but the players and they families love Hall. I think it's because he always shoots straight with them and doesn't play games. He is also extremely well connected throughout the MLB scouting circles. And one final thing, I really do think we have begun to make Tech a transfer destination. Not because of all of this NIL money we have to drop in their laps. But because of how great a job we do improving their games and getting the players to reach their potential. And our staff does a great job of identifying a "need" and going out there and finding it. Personally I think we are a team that is in a much better position to handle the new roster restrictions next year.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Perhaps Hall is focused on getting guys prepped for professional baseball instead of playing winning college level baseball. his is similar to the criticism leveld at Hewitt after he lost his mojo, and i do think Hewitt said out loud that was his primary objective. If this is true, it would explain why players and parents love him but we have a lousy record.

Might even explain the slow hook he had for so many years. And it's possible he wants his pitchers focused on developing new pitches rather than sticking with what currently works for them.

NB-I'm making all of this up. Just WAGs really....
So he is the gov housing version of John Calipari?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
As I said in a separate post early in the season, I thought around the middle of April (which is now!) was going to be the time in which we might be able to better judge the overall quality of the team, as it will be facing some good teams like Auburn, Virginia, Clemson, etc. down the stretch toward the rest of the regular season, before ACC Tournament play begins.

And like I also opined my early-season post, it was my hope that our team could finish strong during this latter-season period.

I remain hopeful.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Likewise... this weekend.
This is how runs were scored after a 1-1 1st inning Friday.

VT 10 unanswered FRI
GT 19 unanswered SAT
VT 7 unanswered SUN
GT 11 unanswered SUN

Not normal has been normal with this team for years... really.
Even inconsistent inside the first inning tonight bs Auburn. I was listening and it sound like our guy was sharp to the first two batters, striking out both with mid 90 heat on the corners. Two out bottom of the first. Then he seemingly loses it with two walks and 8 runs follow (not all his). As I said, I was listening so maybe there was some nuance that I missed.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Even inconsistent inside the first inning tonight bs Auburn. I was listening and it sound like our guy was sharp to the first two batters, striking out both with mid 90 heat on the corners. Two out bottom of the first. Then he seemingly loses it with two walks and 8 runs follow (not all his). As I said, I was listening so maybe there was some nuance that I missed.
I was late tuning in and didn't see the first 5 runs, only the Homer to get to 8. But maybe it was like my golf game. I can start out playing way over my head and begin thinking this may be the day I finally break par, then promptly proceed to play bogey golf. :)
All mental.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was late tuning in and didn't see the first 5 runs, only the Homer to get to 8. But maybe it was like my golf game. I can start out playing way over my head and begin thinking this may be the day I finally break par, then promptly proceed to play bogey golf. :)
All mental.
2 walks were high pitch counts walks, lots of foul tips. First batter was probably K'd earlier in count, but mis-call extended the at bat. Then 3 run moonshot after the walks. Don't remember the exact sequence, but a bunch of Texas leaguers littered throughout kept extemding the inning. Not sure if we were playing too deep in outfield. Auburn had many during the game, an unusally high number. Just a bad inning that could have been no runs, 3 runs, 5 runs and ultimately ended at 8 when Kovala got blasted.