Claude +11
Abram +10
George +6
Ndongo +6
Sacko +5
Gapare +4
Dowuona -1

My thoughts from this game after watching it twice:

Sturdivant, Coleman, Kelly, Reeves and Claude are probably our best lineup right now. Except for Dowuona, these are our most experienced (and oldest) players. I expect Ndongo to eventuallly replace Claude in that lineup. Sturdivant and Coleman seem to have some juice when playing together. Back before the season we debated about Reeves and Abram. Reeves is the real deal and Abram not so much (so far, but has had his moments). Ndongo is learning. George is the same. Sacko and Gapare will be spot guys for now. We're getting just about what we expected from Dowuona, which is not much on offense.

I am looking for to Terry getting back on the floor.

We are deep and don't have a ton of drooff when Gapare or Sacko is on the floor. I hope we start playing a lot more pressure defense. Not many teams will be able to handle the fatigue we could induce.

Our freshman class is solid. I like all four.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
My early season impressions of Claude are that he is fine against mid-major front courts but is physically overmatched against high major talent. He is not quite big enough or explosive enough against high major bigs. He's serviceable on the boards but I don't think he is a scorer at the ACC level. I haven't seen a ton of him yet but my guess is that his role wanes the deeper into the schedule we go, Ndongo being the more talented option.

Any "Best" lineup that doesn't include George is a big "Huh?" to me. Sturdivant, in my book, is a proven, 5th year Senior below average ACC guard. He has some scoring skills and is a useful back-up, but he simply does not make the players around him better for a PG. On offense, he has a "hitch" or hesitation to his game that puts the offense out of sync. He is a well below average defender. As a player he reacts and does not anticipate. I like him better off the ball. Maybe some switch will click, but it is awfully late in his career for that.

Agree that it would be good to get Terry back, assuming he can pick-up where he left off last year. Abram is one to watch. Can Stoudamire break the wild stallion and turn him into a team player?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My early season impressions of Claude are that he is fine against mid-major front courts but is physically overmatched against high major talent. He is not quite big enough or explosive enough against high major bigs. He's serviceable on the boards but I don't think he is a scorer at the ACC level. I haven't seen a ton of him yet but my guess is that his role wanes the deeper into the schedule we go, Ndongo being the more talented option.

Any "Best" lineup that doesn't include George is a big "Huh?" to me. Sturdivant, in my book, is a proven, 5th year Senior below average ACC guard. He has some scoring skills and is a useful back-up, but he simply does not make the players around him better for a PG. On offense, he has a "hitch" or hesitation to his game that puts the offense out of sync. He is a well below average defender. As a player he reacts and does not anticipate. I like him better off the ball. Maybe some switch will click, but it is awfully late in his career for that.

Agree that it would be good to get Terry back, assuming he can pick-up where he left off last year. Abram is one to watch. Can Stoudamire break the wild stallion and turn him into a team player?
I thinnk you & I are in agreement. I want Ndongo to be more consistent. At times he is not playing under control. That 100% his youth showing out. I like George and agree he is a better player, but Kyle is a steady PG who knows how to keep the game in front of him.

These are good problems.

slugboy

Staff member
I thinnk you & I are in agreement. I want Ndongo to be more consistent. At times he is not playing under control. That 100% his youth showing out. I like George and agree he is a better player, but Kyle is a steady PG who knows how to keep the game in front of him.

These are good problems.

For what it’s worth, Nait has a negative Box Plus Minus. We’re really early in the season, and there are better stats. I’m also not saying “make Carter Murphy your starting PG”. This isn’t opponent-adjusted or anything. I don’t have the per-game stats, and the completely clogged (CTO) offense against UGA might be hurting Nait’s stats.

Nait seems to facilitate the game a lot better, and the flow looks better to the eye test, but the stats imply that we need more assists when he’s in the game to make up for his lack of scoring. I think Nait’s young and that he’ll improve a lot this year.

The big thing I do read out of this is that Amaree needs to get his team game put together.

RkPlayerGGSPERTS%eFG%WSWS/40OBPMDBPMBPMV
1Emmer Nichols2022.40.0.2324.51.25.8
2Kowacie Reeves8818.2.629.5721.1.1683.42.15.6
3Baye Ndongo5516.7.458.4510.2.057-2.25.43.2
4Carter Murphy5010.5.600.6000.1.133-0.73.32.5
5Dallan Coleman8013.6.544.5280.7.1380.81.62.4
6Miles Kelly8815.9.466.4150.7.1171.80.11.9
7Tyzhaun Claude8419.1.482.4590.6.1540.80.71.5
8Kyle Sturdivant8014.3.504.4490.4.119-1.30.7-0.6
9Ibrahima Sacko8010.2.437.5000.2.080-4.33.5-0.9
10Ebenezer Dowuona847.2.670.7500.1.053-4.31.9-2.4
11Tafara Gapare538.3.398.3950.1.040-7.14.4-2.7
12Naithan George545.0.380.3680.0.010-4.10.2-3.9
13Amaree Abram544.6.376.3330.0-.002-7.0-0.9-7.9
14Marcos San Miguel10-49.7.000.0000.0-.966-38.6-28.0-66.6

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 12/16/2023.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Agree with all. Terry will take several weeks to find a rhythm after he is cleared. Foot injuries that have lingered for months really impact BB players.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
What was your source for this data. I love it!
The “Final Stats (PDF)” link on the game stories or schedule on ramblinwreck.com. It’s usually a 20+ page document including play by play, stats by half, team shooting charts, etc. Really good stuff.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow

I would like to Ndongo at the 5, Claude at the 4, Kapare at the 3, George at the 2, and Kelly at the 2

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
That isn't how variance works. You need more than just the mean to determine that.

Taking each game as an individual data point (which yes has it's own issues but it's the quickest way to get a decent picture) we get the following for our team this year

for 2 point our fg% average is 47.15% with a standard deviation of 10.4.
for 3 point our fg% average is 29.325% with a standard deviation of 6.88.

So for our team we have significantly less variance in our 3point shooting than our 2 point shooting. Now you could go further and account for 3s being worth 50% more than twos which would make a swing in 3% account for a bigger swing in points than 2s, but we also shoot about 50% more twos than we do threes which would make the 2fg% swing have a bigger swing in baskets made meaning a bigger swing in points. Without actually looking at it more closely I'm tempted to just stick with the above and say our variance on 3 point shooting is less than that of our 2 fg% right now.
I barely made it through statistics at Tech, but I do know that in the 1969 through the 1971seasons , without three pointers nor a 30 second clock, we shot over 50% from the field and averaged over 80 points per game, with a 40-19 record and two post season tournaments. I am not a big fan of three-point shooting as many fans are, but we did take a very few shots from 22 ft 1 3/4 inches. If we missed a couple, we joined the water boy on the bench. Our offense was not built around three pointers.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
All the analytics are nice but recognize that CDS is committed to a spread offense focused on ball movement and 3 point shots. Hang on for the ride
Another pro-style new coach is trying this style offense at Georgia Southern now and they are 0-11. I hope it works out for us.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I barely made it through statistics at Tech, but I do know that in the 1969 through the 1971seasons , without three pointers nor a 30 second clock, we shot over 50% from the field and averaged over 80 points per game, with a 40-19 record and two post season tournaments. I am not a big fan of three-point shooting as many fans are, but we did take a very few shots from 22 ft 1 3/4 inches. If we missed a couple, we joined the water boy on the bench. Our offense was not built around three pointers.
I was in school at Tech during that period. As I remember it, the best way to keep our FG % high was just to get the ball to Yunkus!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Yes, that was it. Lots of us high scoring guards were humbled but we won , and all graduated!!!
In the 1969-70 season, Rich averaged 56% from the field and dunking was not allowed. Deadly from 18 ft in and averaged 12 rebounds and 30 points per game, against strongest strength of schedule in our 3 years varsity. All American academically and athletically, and drafted 38th in the NBA by the Cincinnati Royals.