12/2 - MBB vs. Duke — HOW BOUT THEM JACKETS!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A few details stood out to me after I had the chance to review the box score:

Duke shot 41% overall, but just 25% from 3, and most surprisingly, just 60% from the line. I think we're starting to see Stoudamire's much lauded defensive system come into view. To me, that was the biggest disappointment early in the season. Chemistry and playing against different teams makes it hard to gel when you're getting use to a new system. After the Miss St and Duke game, our guys seem to be getting more comfortable playing and communicating in Stoudamire's defensive system.

We shot over 50% overall (50.9% to be exact), but we were just 30% from 3. If you take out Kelly's shooting stats (5-13 overall, 2-8 from 3), our shooting from inside and outside of the arc looks better. One thing about Kelly this season is he hasn't been as efficient. He's become a high volume shooter, but his shooting percentages have dipped. He shot 41% overall, and almost 38% from 3 last season. This season, he's 36% overall and 27.5% from the 3. His free throw percentage is also down, from almost 90% to 71.4%. I have no doubt those numbers will improve, and when they do, this team gets even more dangerous.

Welcome to the "now you're a priority on the scouting report" club, Ndongo! His length, explosiveness, defensive abilities, and efficiency scoring (at least against Duke) already makes him the player with the highest ceiling on our roster. Once Kelly finds his form, that's a dangerous combination to have on the floor at the same time.

There was some discussion on what "freedom" meant in Stoudamire's system. I think we're starting to see that. Stoudamire is giving the guys a long leash in terms of taking their defender off the bounce, or taking shots from 3 if they have the space. I don't know how many coaches would let Ndongo shoot 3s, but Stoudamire doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Our guys are getting license to create their shots. One thing it that stands out so far is this isn't a rigid system. Stoudamire has set parameters in terms of spacing and ball movement, but he's giving guys "freedom" inside those parameters if they feel they can beat their defender.

Reeves is probably our early season MVP. He's been everywhere on the court, makes plays from inside and outside of the arc, and does whatever needs to be done. He's averaging career highs up and down the stat sheet...that includes FG shooting, from the 3, and rebounding.

Think about this. We've seen glimpses from each player how good they can be in Stoudamire's system. Guys are still finding their footing and comfort zones on each end of the floor. One of our biggest transfers, Abram, is still figuring it out but he has the talent to easily be a double digit scorer on any given night. If we continue to improve, and we can get Terry back, and Abram finds his form, this may be one of the most dangerous teams in the conference on any given night. As good as we played against Duke, I think the ceiling is MUCH MUCH higher than how we played against them.
I love Reeves and espcially that backdoor cut pass he made.Thats the knid of play that keeps teams "honest" on Def.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
"Georgia averages a little less than 25 free throw attempts per game and are currently the worst shooting team in the SEC at 40.4 percent."

Come on Chad why you gotta do us like that.

In all seriousness though, love the senior leadership from Sturdy in this article. THWg!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Although this is right now a pretty simple set that we are running with the high pick and roll, there are, as you infer, a lot of tweeks and adjustments from both the teams defending us (make George a scorer) and how we react (kick out when the help comes). It will be a cat and mouse game but one run primarily on the court - not overt calls from CDS. But the key is that George has to turn the corner off the screen and attack and we have to have a legit rim runner to draw the defense. That is what we didn't have at the start of the year - we were running the pick and then the PG was passing back to the big at the foul line making him the playmaker. Didn't work. That is why we got a change at PG.

If George scores if/when UGA takes away the lob, then all sorts of secondary passes come into play. And we keep right on rolling. I am hoping he takes advantage and attacks the rim.

Will be fun to watch
That's why making those outside shots, especially corner 3's, are so important. If we are knocking those down, the D has to pick its poison.

Either give up an easy lay-up / lob or a 3-ball from the corner. I'd say that the D is taught to stop the drive and live with a team shooting a high % from deep.

Pretty soon, I think that we start seeing teams try and get more physical with Nait, use bigger guards to stop penetration.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's why making those outside shots, especially corner 3's, are so important. If we are knocking those down, the D has to pick its poison.

Either give up an easy lay-up / lob or a 3-ball from the corner. I'd say that the help is going to stop the drive 90% of the team, and the D will live with a team shooting a high % from deep.

I think that we start seeing teams try and get more physical with Nait, use bigger guards to stop penetration.
George, I believe, will slowly learn how to make more shots, floaters in the lane and layups, etc. But I still wish the other guard was someone like Mark Price so that the defense would have a harder set of split second decisions to make.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
George, I believe, will slowly learn how to make more shots, floaters in the lane and layups, etc. But I still wish the other guard was someone like Mark Price so that the defense would have a harder set of split second decisions to make.

Remember, George should really be a senior in High School right now. He reclassified and came in a year earlier, and didn't come until the day before classes started. He's probably drinking water through a firehose at the moment. Once he gets a full offseason to work with a high level ex NBA PG and coach, I think we'll see his game blossom.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Remember, George should really be a senior in High School right now. He reclassified and came in a year earlier, and didn't come until the day before classes started. He's probably drinking water through a firehose at the moment. Once he gets a full offseason to work with a high level ex NBA PG and coach, I think we'll see his game blossom.
Agree completely. It is understandable that he is not a complete player now. Also exciting that his ability to stabilize the offense shows how much potential he has.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve heard this multiple times and I’m curious, what are the academic ramifications of this reclassification. Does the kid graduate HS a year early? How does he all of sudden magically have enough credits, etc. to graduate early if he had not been working toward that goal in advance? Ditto for credits to get into college? I know exceptions are made for athletes, but…?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ve heard this multiple times and I’m curious, what are the academic ramifications of this reclassification. Does the kid graduate HS a year early? How does he all of sudden magically have enough credits, etc. to graduate early if he had not been working toward that goal in advance? Ditto for credits to get into college? I know exceptions are made for athletes, but…?

The way school is now, there are a lot of pathways to graduating early. A lot of regular students could and do start college early academically. Doesn't have to be an 'exception', necessarily.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Have a friend, not an athlete, unless you count beer on the golf course, who went to Tech early and essentially finished high school as an entering freshman at Tech. It’s a paperwork thing I don’t quite understand but have some guesses about.

He almost got eaten alive his freshman year, having gotten inadequate guidance in high school, zero parental advice, and way too much emotional “support” in the fraternity house 😊.

He finally graduated and has his own business now that allows him to discuss contracts several times a week with clients on the golf course.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Remember, George should really be a senior in High School right now. He reclassified and came in a year earlier, and didn't come until the day before classes started.

I don't think that is true. My understanding is George spent one year in HS in canada and 3 in Arizona. He was originally class of '23. He reclassified to '24 to give himself a better chance to get noticed, and then went back on that decision when he committed to us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that is true. My understanding is George spent one year in HS in canada and 3 in Arizona. He was originally class of '23. He reclassified to '24 to give himself a better chance to get noticed, and then went back on that decision when he committed to us.

Just going by what Stoudamire said. You may be right...I'm not doing the research.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

As much as I loathe agreeing with @Techster , CDS said George should be a Sr in high school right now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As much as I loathe agreeing with @Techster , CDS said George should be a Sr in high school right now.

Here is a link to an article from Kelly Quinlan. Appears to be a free article as I don't have any kind of subscription but can still see it.

"George reclassified from the 2023 class to the 2024 class and jump-started his recruitment with a strong summer gaining the attention of the Yellow Jacket staff in the process earning him an offer. He will now reclassify to the 2023 class again and start school at Georgia Tech next week."

Also there is THIS, his bio, which states.

"Played his final three high school seasons at Canyon International Academy [this means enrolled in Dream City full time], … Attended Bishop P.F. Reding in Milton, Ontario prior to enrolling at Dream City

Bishop P.F. Reding is a secondary school in canada serving grades 9-12. That certainly paints the picture of spending his freshman year in canada, then the last 3 years at Dream City which would have him graduating in '23. It's possible that he spent like a week at Bishop before transferring after the school started to Dream city, but that seems unlikely to me.

Also, since he committed in august, for him to be able to reclassify at that point and enroll he'd have to have all his credits to graduate already done at the start of the year. That makes sense if he was originally class of 23 since it'd have been his senior year. Makes less sense if '24 is his original class.

Also, he was listed on maxpreps for the 20-21 dream city roster as being a sophomore which would have him graduating in 2023 as well.

I think most likely CDS just was mistaken when he said that, likely knowing that George had to reclassify but not knowing that he was originally in the 2023 class to begin with.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The last one that did this was a disaster. Brother was on the team. Both left.

Yeah we choose not to discuss when we waded into that poole anymore. Too painful. We were adding a 5-star and his brother transferring from Kentucky? What could go wrong?

Animated GIF

I think most likely CDS just was mistaken when he said that, likely knowing that George had to reclassify but not knowing that he was originally in the 2023 class to begin with.
Eh, I'm fine with just leaving it at this. Maybe he just meant that, at his actual calendar age, he should be in HS. 🤷‍♂️

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we choose not to discuss when we waded into that poole anymore. Too painful. We were adding a 5-star and his brother transferring from Kentucky? What could go wrong?

Animated GIF

Eh, I'm fine with just leaving it at this. Maybe he just meant that, at his actual calendar age, he should be in HS. 🤷‍♂️
Incisive, in-depth, investigative journalism is why I always wait for your comments.

Bored Cabin Fever GIF