12/2 - MBB vs. Duke — HOW BOUT THEM JACKETS!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is an interesting call out. To me, it feels like Ebe get more burn and we can afford for him to be mostly absent on offense given what Ndongo brings to the table. If Baye can stroke it at his height (still TBD, for me at least), then we don’t have a log jam in the lane on O when we go big at the 4, and we keep better spacing with lanes for the guards and wings to drive. And the best part is we have two erasers on D with height to grab boards and hold things down.

If we get more performances like that from Baye, or even 75% of what we saw, it is a game changer. He is going to improve our chances on both ends and make other guys better.
Exactly...Ebe is a very good screener. That is critical when you have a team that is good with perimeter pressure like Duke. He's also really good at keeping possession's alive by tipping it out.

His ability to take up space in the paint really opens up the high screen and roll (that produced 3-4 oops on Sat). because they can't help as much.

IMO, it's having the two erasers on D that I think makes us so much better. The weak side blocks from Ndongo were nasty!

Duke and all their talented players had trouble scoring when they were both in the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Surprised For Me GIF by Doja Cat
ME?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A few details stood out to me after I had the chance to review the box score:

Duke shot 41% overall, but just 25% from 3, and most surprisingly, just 60% from the line. I think we're starting to see Stoudamire's much lauded defensive system come into view. To me, that was the biggest disappointment early in the season. Chemistry and playing against different teams makes it hard to gel when you're getting use to a new system. After the Miss St and Duke game, our guys seem to be getting more comfortable playing and communicating in Stoudamire's defensive system.

We shot over 50% overall (50.9% to be exact), but we were just 30% from 3. If you take out Kelly's shooting stats (5-13 overall, 2-8 from 3), our shooting from inside and outside of the arc looks better. One thing about Kelly this season is he hasn't been as efficient. He's become a high volume shooter, but his shooting percentages have dipped. He shot 41% overall, and almost 38% from 3 last season. This season, he's 36% overall and 27.5% from the 3. His free throw percentage is also down, from almost 90% to 71.4%. I have no doubt those numbers will improve, and when they do, this team gets even more dangerous.

Welcome to the "now you're a priority on the scouting report" club, Ndongo! His length, explosiveness, defensive abilities, and efficiency scoring (at least against Duke) already makes him the player with the highest ceiling on our roster. Once Kelly finds his form, that's a dangerous combination to have on the floor at the same time.

There was some discussion on what "freedom" meant in Stoudamire's system. I think we're starting to see that. Stoudamire is giving the guys a long leash in terms of taking their defender off the bounce, or taking shots from 3 if they have the space. I don't know how many coaches would let Ndongo shoot 3s, but Stoudamire doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Our guys are getting license to create their shots. One thing it that stands out so far is this isn't a rigid system. Stoudamire has set parameters in terms of spacing and ball movement, but he's giving guys "freedom" inside those parameters if they feel they can beat their defender.

Reeves is probably our early season MVP. He's been everywhere on the court, makes plays from inside and outside of the arc, and does whatever needs to be done. He's averaging career highs up and down the stat sheet...that includes FG shooting, from the 3, and rebounding.

Think about this. We've seen glimpses from each player how good they can be in Stoudamire's system. Guys are still finding their footing and comfort zones on each end of the floor. One of our biggest transfers, Abram, is still figuring it out but he has the talent to easily be a double digit scorer on any given night. If we continue to improve, and we can get Terry back, and Abram finds his form, this may be one of the most dangerous teams in the conference on any given night. As good as we played against Duke, I think the ceiling is MUCH MUCH higher than how we played against them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
See post above.
Oh I will indeed. :love:

Excellent post and breakdown, techst. Always nice to see a novice poster coming into his own. Congrats, champ.

Definitely agree with you. If CDS can unlock Abrams (6th man gunner?) and incorporate Terry, we become a dangerous and deep team. I had doubts about Ebe being a contributor, but him coming into his own really adds frontcourt depth we need. Just don't shoot outside 3 feet for now tho.

Keep up the good work, techst.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How could you miss mentioning George. He took it inside and set up the bigs. A couple of nice alley oops.

LOL, I didn't want him to get a big head. :)

But seriously, he's definitely a big part of why we won against 2 straight ranked teams. Something else I kinda mentioned earlier in the thread, Stoudamire is giving these young guys a baptism by fire. I was thinking maybe it it's a foundational play for the future, but the play of Ndongo and Nait are big reasons we've been winning right now. That's scary to think about if you're thinking a year down the road.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Duke shot 41% overall, but just 25% from 3, and most surprisingly, just 60% from the line. I think we're starting to see Stoudamire's much lauded defensive system come into view. To me, that was the biggest disappointment early in the season. Chemistry and playing against different teams makes it hard to gel when you're getting use to a new system. After the Miss St and Duke game, our guys seem to be getting more comfortable playing and communicating in Stoudamire's defensive system.

We shot over 50% overall (50.9% to be exact), but we were just 30% from 3. If you take out Kelly's shooting stats (5-13 overall, 2-8 from 3), our shooting from inside and outside of the arc looks better. One thing about Kelly this season is he hasn't been as efficient. He's become a high volume shooter, but his shooting percentages have dipped. He shot 41% overall, and almost 38% from 3 last season. This season, he's 36% overall and 27.5% from the 3. His free throw percentage is also down, from almost 90% to 71.4%. I have no doubt those numbers will improve, and when they do, this team gets even more dangerous.

Welcome to the "now you're a priority on the scouting report" club, Ndongo! His length, explosiveness, defensive abilities, and efficiency scoring (at least against Duke) already makes him the player with the highest ceiling on our roster. Once Kelly finds his form, that's a dangerous combination to have on the floor at the same time.

There was some discussion on what "freedom" meant in Stoudamire's system. I think we're starting to see that. Stoudamire is giving the guys a long leash in terms of taking their defender off the bounce, or taking shots from 3 if they have the space. I don't know how many coaches would let Ndongo shoot 3s, but Stoudamire doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Our guys are getting license to create their shots. One thing it that stands out so far is this isn't a rigid system. Stoudamire has set parameters in terms of spacing and ball movement, but he's giving guys "freedom" inside those parameters if they feel they can beat their defender.

Reeves is probably our early season MVP. He's been everywhere on the court, makes plays from inside and outside of the arc, and does whatever needs to be done. He's averaging career highs up and down the stat sheet...that includes FG shooting, from the 3, and rebounding.

Think about this. We've seen glimpses from each player how good they can be in Stoudamire's system. Guys are still finding their footing and comfort zones on each end of the floor. One of our biggest transfers, Abram, is still figuring it out but he has the talent to easily be a double digit scorer on any given night. If we continue to improve, and we can get Terry back, and Abram finds his form, this may be one of the most dangerous teams in the conference on any given night. As good as we played against Duke, I think the ceiling is MUCH MUCH higher than how we played against them.
Agree with your assessment of “freedom.” Watching Coach S’s demeanor on the sideline as he evaluates what’s happening on the court is fascinating. With looks, expressions, gestures and a few words, I see him saying…. “Alright, keep going.” “You really think you can do that?” “That’s ok, you’re working on it.” “Now that’s stupid, you should know better.” “Just keep hustling.” “Go ahead, try it.” “See, that’s playing basketball.” “Keep the intensity.”

He seems very clear about two things…what he expects as a final product and that not everyone will get there at the same time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Another cool thing was the fact that Dook took the lead back late but we didn't falter. In fact, we seemed to stay calm through the storm and finished with confidence.

I recall many of yall upset about CDS' seemingly 'too relaxed' demeanor. And that the team was taking on that 'too relaxed' tone on the court.

Well, what say yall now?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That would be Kelly or Terry. Kelly will eventually find his form, and Terry just needs to get healthy.

Here are some shooting numbers to consider.

Kelly is 27.5% after shooting 38% last year.
Sturdivant is 25% after shooting 32% last year.
Abram is 20% after shooting 36% last year.
Coleman started out on fire, but is just 2 for 10 these past 3 games once the level of competition was raised.
George is 2 of 10.

Reeves is the outlier having improved going from 26.2% last year to 41% this year. In his case though it appears he is forcing things a lot less. He is taking just 3.5 3 pointers per game in 32.8 minutes compared to 4.2 attempts per game in just 19.3 minutes.

Overall as a team we are currently are averaging the 4th most attempted 3s, and making the 3rd lowest % of our threes.

My opinion is that our numbers are down in large part because we are generating a lot of "okay" but not good looks. Often either off of dribble pull ups or one pass into quick shots, usually with a defender contesting it with some room. They are shots our guys are capable of making, and shots you see in the NBA a lot, but there are a lot of shots we take that are neither really open looks nor really in rhythm. This also seems to be by design as it isn't just one or two players, and we don't really seem to have much ball movement to me, normally.

Terry coming back could help that, but with the line ups we have been playing, he'd be replacing Kelly, Reeves, or Coleman. So that gives us another option to try but not necessarily a better shooter. Maybe the mindset needed to be a shooter in that situation more suits him.

It's possible our guys will adjust and get more comfortable with the types of shots they are getting and start hitting more. I don't think it's a guarantee though. I'm also not convinced the shots we are getting are just due to being unfamiliar with a system. That would make more sense if we were using clock and forcing shots late, but we seem to be putting up a lot of quick shots which makes it feel like that is the point of emphasis, especially when it is multiple players.

It's also possible that we'll get better looks off the screen/lob threat that we established against Duke. I would assume most teams will now try to take the lob away and force George to be a scorer. If he can prove that then the next step would be helping off others players which could generate better looks than we have been getting for our other wings. George looks to be a more natural facilitator than Abram so that could help, although it hasn't seemed to make much of an impact on our 3 point % yet these last two game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
George wants to take it to the rim rather than setting up 3's. I think he can do both. He really shined late in the duke game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Another cool thing was the fact that Dook took the lead back late but we didn't falter. In fact, we seemed to stay calm through the storm and finished with confidence.

I recall many of yall upset about CDS' seemingly 'too relaxed' demeanor. And that the team was taking on that 'too relaxed' tone on the court.

Well, what say yall now?
I think when another team takes back the lead late in the game the only reasonable response is full blown PANIC

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
George wants to take it to the rim rather than setting up 3's. I think he can do both. He really shined late in the duke game.
The lobs from Nait are sort of like the RPO in football. If the big in the paint steps up to help stopping the layup, the lob is there every time.

It is either shoot or pass. Forcing him to score means stopping the pick and roll, otherwise, he will have a layup or floater.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's possible our guys will adjust and get more comfortable with the types of shots they are getting and start hitting more. I don't think it's a guarantee though. I'm also not convinced the shots we are getting are just due to being unfamiliar with a system. That would make more sense if we were using clock and forcing shots late, but we seem to be putting up a lot of quick shots which makes it feel like that is the point of emphasis, especially when it is multiple players.

It's also possible that we'll get better looks off the screen/lob threat that we established against Duke. I would assume most teams will now try to take the lob away and force George to be a scorer. If he can prove that then the next step would be helping off others players which could generate better looks than we have been getting for our other wings. George looks to be a more natural facilitator than Abram so that could help, although it hasn't seemed to make much of an impact on our 3 point % yet these last two game.
Although this is right now a pretty simple set that we are running with the high pick and roll, there are, as you infer, a lot of tweeks and adjustments from both the teams defending us (make George a scorer) and how we react (kick out when the help comes). It will be a cat and mouse game but one run primarily on the court - not overt calls from CDS. But the key is that George has to turn the corner off the screen and attack and we have to have a legit rim runner to draw the defense. That is what we didn't have at the start of the year - we were running the pick and then the PG was passing back to the big at the foul line making him the playmaker. Didn't work. That is why we got a change at PG.

If George scores if/when UGA takes away the lob, then all sorts of secondary passes come into play. And we keep right on rolling. I am hoping he takes advantage and attacks the rim.

Will be fun to watch

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here are some shooting numbers to consider.

Kelly is 27.5% after shooting 38% last year.
Sturdivant is 25% after shooting 32% last year.
Abram is 20% after shooting 36% last year.
Coleman started out on fire, but is just 2 for 10 these past 3 games once the level of competition was raised.
George is 2 of 10.

Reeves is the outlier having improved going from 26.2% last year to 41% this year. In his case though it appears he is forcing things a lot less. He is taking just 3.5 3 pointers per game in 32.8 minutes compared to 4.2 attempts per game in just 19.3 minutes.

Overall as a team we are currently are averaging the 4th most attempted 3s, and making the 3rd lowest % of our threes.

My opinion is that our numbers are down in large part because we are generating a lot of "okay" but not good looks. Often either off of dribble pull ups or one pass into quick shots, usually with a defender contesting it with some room. They are shots our guys are capable of making, and shots you see in the NBA a lot, but there are a lot of shots we take that are neither really open looks nor really in rhythm. This also seems to be by design as it isn't just one or two players, and we don't really seem to have much ball movement to me, normally.

Terry coming back could help that, but with the line ups we have been playing, he'd be replacing Kelly, Reeves, or Coleman. So that gives us another option to try but not necessarily a better shooter. Maybe the mindset needed to be a shooter in that situation more suits him.

On ball movement and 3 point shots it feels like if our open looks start to break down quickly, after one or two passes, some guys are taking shots because our prospects for good shots are diminishing and they figure this is the best chance they’ll get. It feels a little desperate but I suspect something about tempo has been drilled into them.

The second thing I notice is that when a player gets in trouble because he’s picked up his dribble and he’s getting trapped, the other players aren’t breaking off their positions or motions to come back to help. I even yelled at the screen one time, “Come back and help him!” Not sure why we are playing with fire on this and inviting turnovers.

Anyway those two things feel like our players are still learning each other and haven’t developed a smooth sense of movement with each other yet. We are doing slightly more than one on one ball but clearly have a way to go.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
While I agree that the return of Terry will give us a chance of adding another scorer to the lineup, I am more excited about what it will do for our defense. Then, instead of having guys like Reeves and Kelly playing 30+ a game, we can lower the individual minutes down to the 20's and spread them across 3 players. Terry was one of our better on the ball defenders last year. Allowing the guys to stay in the face of their opponent and not losing either the defensive or offensive intensity is what excites me most about when Terry is able to return.