12/16: GT vs. Penn State at The Garden

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
As a New Yorker I don’t get to see Tech play live much and usually take advantage of their trips to MSG since watching them win the Pre-season NIT in 2003, beating UConn in the quarterfinals only to lose to them in the NCAA championship game. So today was a treat. When they beat B Knight’s Texas Tech in 2003 I got to celebrate on the floor level with Ishmael Muhammad’s Dad. Today I had the pleasure of sitting next to Deebo’s mom. Tech didn’t steal this one. They almost gave it away. Young players. Students who have to take care of academics. Nobody knows what other day to day personal or family issues might affect them and their play. A losing team last year acquiring a new coach with recruiting & portal cupboards almost bare. And we fan experts get to analyze and critique every play, gesture & personality. I was amazed at the play of Gapare, obviously more talented than anyone ever thought just by making the starting opening day lineup. A young team with problems passing & inbounding should not surprise anyone and I seriously doubt this coaching staff has ignored those issues. Practices are never enough. Same opponents every day in same empty gym. They need games and away games and neutral site games to make and learn from mistakes. I say these student athletes did Georgia Tech proud today. Only good things will come. Maybe not a quick as every fan & alumni want, but I have been impressed by much more than has disappointed me. To hell with staying old. I’ll take youth and happily watch them mature and get better.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nice win. We definitely have a ways to go, but we also have a lot of potential. Good to get a win and identify several Issues that must be fixed. The season could go either way, but I believe we will be playing Top 25 type basketball at the end of the season.
I think top 25 is high but you can see the potential.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get to see game but then saw the score.All I have to say--a win and AWAY vs a p5 team!!.--GREAT. Can only help us going forward experience wise and now we find another scorer in Gapare..

slugboy

Staff member
Off topic, but with Princeton’s loss on Thursday there were only 7 unbeaten teams left. Clemson is one of them. Just about everyone loses.

We’re 6-3, and in the middle with most of the conference right now.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
CDS amassed some talent quickly. Ndongo, Gafarye, and Reeves look like they could become high level ACC players. We need Kelly to find his stroke again and for Terry to get healthy before ACC play. If those 2 things happen, we can make the tourney.

Really good look and well drawn up play for Reeves at the end. I bet he hits that shot more than not. I really wanted it to drop for him. He’s been a great addition so far. Good team win!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
B1G network losing their minds over the phantom foul call, but the block that immediately proceeded it did not look clean at all. Am I missing something, or is their outrage more butthurt than anything else?
I thought it was a questionable call but I would need to look at it again.

I’m philosophical and believe these things even out. Tech deserved the win.

I also don’t think we’ve seen this team’s ceiling yet. Fewer mistakes today and Tech blows this game open and wins going away. But freshman players, as well as a new team still finding its chemistry, will take a while to overcome.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
They made guarding Kelly at the 3 pt line their top priority. When that happens, the rest of the team needs to pick it up. And they did!
Absolutely right. Kelly was smothered all game. And they knew we had issues with the press and inbounding. We came very close to even more turnovers than shows. Lots of stumbles. But these young men never gave up and got the W. Tough way to learn, but with more games like this they will get it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know what CDS and staff have been doing to make Ndongo, George, and Gapare P5 level players so quickly, but I wish they would aim some of those lessons at Kelly's jump shot.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
CDS amassed some talent quickly. Ndongo, Gafarye, and Reeves look like they could become high level ACC players. We need Kelly to find his stroke again and for Terry to get healthy before ACC play. If those 2 things happen, we can make the tourney.

Really good look and well drawn up play for Reeves at the end. I bet he hits that shot more than not. I really wanted it to drop for him. He’s been a great addition so far. Good team win!
It wasn’t really a drawn up play but the same set we had been running most of the day with the soft screen up high to start the action. difference was this time we made the quick pass back to Ndongo at the foul line who made the right play to pass to Reeves as his guy was helping in the paint.

The way we were running the high ball screen with a really soft screen and quick roll that quick pass to the roll was there most of the game. CDS may have reminded them that pass was there on the final play

I was wishing we would set a much harder screen up top as PSU guards were aggressively going over the screen and stopping our guards from getting downhill.