12/16: GT vs. Penn State at The Garden

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
A shout-out to Penn State for being the best screening team I've seen in a while. It was one solid screen after another and our guys could only dip below the screen or switch. If they had some bigs who could score on a roll, they would have feaster on us.
Maybe so, but I saw some lazy defense by our guys going under screens. Specifically, it happened twice early in the first half, and PSI hit wide open 3s both times.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was at dinner with a colleague the other night and there was a pro basketball game on the TV over their shoulder so I could see it indirectly as I was talking to him. Not really paying attention to the game but subconsciously taking in the patterns being formed by the motion of the players on the court, it caught my eye and I focused on the game for a minute. The spacing, the ball movement, the motion offense being ran was exactly what I'm seeing GT do now. CDS has installed a PRO motion offense and these kids are learning exactly what they will be doing at the next level, if they make it. The Pros are going to get to see these guys in the same offense they'll be running in the Pros, which takes some of the guess work out of evaluation. I think kids will flock to GT for that type of exposure.
Started to say the same thing. Very fluid, very aggressive, pro-style of play.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
A shout-out to Penn State for being the best screening team I've seen in a while. It was one solid screen after another and our guys could only dip below the screen or switch. If they had some bigs who could score on a roll, they would have feaster on us.
The difference between their screening and our screening was to me one of the biggest differences in the game. Theirs as you say were solid screens that not only made us go under the screen or switch but also led to a lot of IMHO overhelping from the wings to stop penetration leading to open 3's with late close outs. We instead were running quick screens - almost ghost screens - where our big was primarily looking to roll as quickly as possible rather than set a solid screen before rolling. Our approach helped to allow their quick and aggressive guards to easily go over the top of screens and prevent any of our PGs from getting downhill into the paint. Made the offense perimeter oriented - less ability for George/Sturdivant to create or draw fouls. Thank goodness for offensive rebounding.

We didn't go to the quick pass back to the roll until the final play. It was there the whole time but we didn't take it. Don't know if CDS scripted that or they got it on their own but it was the play to make.

slugboy

Staff member
When a game goes into overtime, or comes down to three or fewer points, there’s going to be a questionable call that the losing team can point to—or that the winning team can point to. Having a perfectly called game is unusual—there are human errors, omitted calls, calls that sometimes don’t get enforced but did in this game, etc.
in those games where you don’t have a big enough margin for safety, the game comes down to luck, a great play, or your ability to work the refs. For us, it was a little lucky.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
In the last three minutes there were two blown goaltending calls that went Penn St's way (one on a clean block by Gapare and another where a Penn St. defender blocked the ball after the ball his the glass but was ruled a block).

But the one that killed me was on an offensive rebound that went out of bounds and the officials ruled that the ball went off of Ndongo for a Penn St possession. Replay showed that it was clearly off of the Penn St player and Ndongo never touched the ball. At the 2 minute mark, those plays will be reviewed but the play occurred at 2:06. Brutal.

So yeah, the bad calls went both ways.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
In the last three minutes there were two blown goaltending calls that went Penn St's way (one on a clean block by Gapare and another where a Penn St. defender blocked the ball after the ball his the glass but was ruled a block).

But the one that killed me was on an offensive rebound that went out of bounds and the officials ruled that the ball went off of Ndongo for a Penn St possession. Replay showed that it was clearly off of the Penn St player and Ndongo never touched the ball. At the 2 minute mark, those plays will be reviewed but the play occurred at 2:06. Brutal.

So yeah, the bad calls went both ways.
I would love to see a replay of the Baldwin goaltending block by Gapare. We were at other end. Looked very close from our seats.