11/6 - MBB vs. Georgia Southern

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
\
The coach seems to be a good teacher of basketball and creates shooters in his likeness. I recall reading that he set a new NBA record of shooting 23 three pointers in a single game.

At the time he set the record it was 21, since having been broken a good number of times. Also, that record was more a dubious one as he went 5/21 on the night,

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Or you guys are just being sexist and treating her differently than you would a male ref. If she’s being disrespected by players, she should call T’s. Male refs do the same thing, they just get less of it because of their gender. Not sure what is hard about that to understand.

Be proud that the one-off T’s were on GaSo and not our young men. CDS doesn’t tolerate that ****.

I like to say I'm being more progressive by calling her out the same way I call out man refs. I wont treat her any different. So who's the sexist, my good sir?

madonna laughing GIF

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think maybe some of the guys looked tired at times because they were running all over the place playing defense. Keep in mind we are talking in your face man to man defense all game long. No more zones . This team is loaded with LONG players who do a good job of extending into passing lanes but they also move their feet on defense. That will tire you out. But we do go pretty deep. There are probably only a couple of guys that won't get many minutes this year. When Terry and Ndongo get back some of the guys that played about 30 minutes will probably play closer to 20 minutes.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Random comment, but I thought it was odd how brief the postgame interaction between CDS and Mo Speights was. CDS coached Speights for two seasons on the Grizzlies. Who knows, maybe they had a meal the night before.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Or you guys are just being sexist and treating her differently than you would a male ref. If she’s being disrespected by players, she should call T’s. Male refs do the same thing, they just get less of it because of their gender. Not sure what is hard about that to understand.

Be proud that the one-off T’s were on GaSo and not our young men. CDS doesn’t tolerate that ****.
Actually I only mentioned her being female to distinguish her from the other two refs. I don’t think she was bad BECAUSE she’s female. I guess I could’ve identified her as the ref with a pony tail?

I specifically thought the one T on GSUs #10 was odd cause apparently he said something she didn’t like, but he wasn’t visibly upset or talking smack to the GT bench, and then boom, T. He was clearly confused, but at that point she refused to talk and just pointed him toward his bench, he tried to plead his case to the other ref, and then still with his coaches on the bench.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he was taunting the GT bench. Made a hand gesture or “be quiet “ finger or something. I guess she (the female ref) was just trying to send a message to just play the game. I think it was the same for the double, offsetting technicals earlier against Miles and the southern player. It looked liked she was explaining it to them and basically saying “enough of the back and forth”, just play the game. She apparently has a short fuse for trash talk and such.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually I only mentioned her being female to distinguish her from the other two refs. I don’t think she was bad BECAUSE she’s female. I guess I could’ve identified her as the ref with a pony tail?

I specifically thought the one T on GSUs #10 was odd cause apparently he said something she didn’t like, but he wasn’t visibly upset or talking smack to the GT bench, and then boom, T. He was clearly confused, but at that point she refused to talk and just pointed him toward his bench, he tried to plead his case to the other ref, and then still with his coaches on the bench.

You guys may all be off base; what are the refs pronouns? Personal foul? (tic)

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to begin the season with a W. Here is my summary:

What I liked:
-Sturdivant the sturdy. I loved it when we looked to push, and (with a few exceptions) he was smart with the ball. The added bonus was his shots falling. Anytime your PG has a 6-1 Assist/TO ratio and is +25 in the game, things are going to go well.
-Tyzhaun Claude's toughness on the inside. Someone already said here that he reminds them of Franklin and I agree, but perhaps with better inside moves and less hops. Its nice to have a guy who can back into the paint and get a bucket and his rebounding was excellent. He might be undersized, but he makes up for it with effort. He did look gassed at the end, though!
-Miles Kelly and Deebo Coleman up to their old tricks. When those guys are hitting their 3s, watch out. That is where the game turned and the two of them were +17 and +25 for the game. Someone said we lack a guy who go and get a bucket when we need it, and I disagree. #13 is that guy.
-Reeves and Sacko's defense. Reeves had a lot to offer on offense as well, but both of these guys played excellent defense on the wings. They are long, athletic, and smart defenders. Reeves had 3 steals and as a team, we had 10. It felt like more, especially in the second half, as we were all up in their passing lanes.
-Gapare's potential. Overall he didn't have a great game (the only Jacket with a minus at -3), but you can see the potential. He seemed to rush things on offense (like most of the team in the first half) and he tended to rely on his athleticism instead of good technique on defense.
-The second half lineup with Claude, Kelly, Reeves, Coleman, and Sturdivant. It reminded me of the group that ended last season so well. They seemed to play really well together and it looked CDS took notice and kept them together.

What I didn't like:
-The sloooooow start. We scored 2 points in the first 6 minutes and for a while, had more turnovers than points. I hope this was just first-game jitters, because if we start that way against a better team, we might find ourselves down by 20 at the half.
-No Terry and Ndongo. I am excited to see what those guys will bring this year. We are going to be DEEEEEP.
-All the technical fouls. I don't like all of the trash talk either, but it seemed like the technicals came without any warnings.

I have no idea how good GSU will turn out to be, but it was nice to pull away. I'll take any win any day. Go Jackets!

slugboy

Staff member
With the technicals, I’m used to referees meeting with both coaches before the game to set expectations. Usually, the referees let the coaches know where they plan to call a tight game.

I didn’t catch either coach saying anything about the technical fouls

Until I see more from these refs that they call a lot of technical fouls, I’m going to assume that the players weren’t ready for a referee’d game and had more of a playground attitude

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I think he was taunting the GT bench. Made a hand gesture or “be quiet “ finger or something. I guess she (the female ref) was just trying to send a message to just play the game. I think it was the same for the double, offsetting technicals earlier against Miles and the southern player. It looked liked she was explaining it to them and basically saying “enough of the back and forth”, just play the game. She apparently has a short fuse for trash talk and such.
I agree with the referee. The players on the court and on the bench are grown men adults and should not be doing such things to cause their team problems and their school embarrassment. Beat the guy on the next play down court, if good enough. Discipline, talent, and sportsmanship wins games.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, she was better than the other 2 refs. They made worse calls. I don't think she was being disrespected by players. It's really not worth discussing.

The other refs barely made a call, she blew the whistle every 30 seconds. Twice she gave our guys T's when the GSU player started talking ****.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Back in the day...Our 1969-70 season was similar to this one, following several seasons short of national recognition. We were ecomeing a more seasoned team and Rich Yunkus was in his junior year. Attendance was slow as normal for our position in the deep south football world. I pulled together an attachment of attendance figures. We started the year with a home game against Virginia, with 1,873 attending to see our 72-59 victory. We ended our regular season, after receiving an invite to the NCAA and NIT tournaments, at home to #2 ranked Jacksonville with an 86-81 loss, witnessed by then a new Alexander Memorial Coliseum attendance record of 7,759. We had to earn the fans back by performing well on the court, resulting in our acceptance to the NIT in Madison Square Garden. I noted in my attachment that the home crowd averaged about half of the road attendance overall, 3,708 to 7,173. Being an independent, we had to play good teams from all over the country to get noticed and draw a crowd. We played 13 games against AP top-30 ranked teams, including #1 and #2 of top 10 teams and beating the #5, #9, and #10 teams. We played 9 games against current ACC teams, going 7-2. Playing what may be seen today as a boring style of basketball, with no dunking, no 30 second clock, and no three-point shots. We ran shuffle style offenses with set plays to get someone open, mainly center Rich Yunkus, who still holds the school scoring record done in three years with no three pointers. He beat every center he played, including FSU's Dave Cowens, UCLA's Steve Patterson, and Jacksonville's Artis Gilmore. Rich averaged over 30 points per game and 12 rebounds, shooting 56% from the field and 85% from the line. The attendance increases Rich's senior year, also shown below, withus being again invited to both post season tournaments and choosing theNIT, finisishing runner up to UNC. This year's team looks like they have the ability to earn the fans back with their performance. And the fans will be interested in seeing that. After all, last nights Georgia Southern game's attendance was well ahead of Coach Cremins' first game attended by 1,904 fans. And he did ok in the long run.
I was perhaps 13 years old going to that Jax game. Artis Gilmore was a sight.

Afterwards I stepped inside my first beer joint with my dad, my 7th grade teammate, and his dad. Don't remember the name but it was on Cheshire Bridge. Good times!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I was perhaps 13 years old going to that Jax game. Artis Gilmore was a sight.

Afterwards I stepped inside my first beer joint with my dad, my 7th grade teammate, and his dad. Don't remember the name but it was on Cheshire Bridge. Good times!
Jax actually had TWIN towers--with Gilmore was a another 7fter named Burrows, I think.Neither could stop Yunkus. -the best Offensive big man ever at Tech.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

She probably thought she might be auditioning for an ACC ref job and just wanted to make it clear she ranked right up there with Tv Teddie.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
At the start of the game seemed to me we played a "basic" 4 out scheme with the 5 coming out to set a high ball screen top of the key and rolling. The rest of the team was well spaced but not a lot of movement. We ended up with a lot of passes to the roll and not a lot of passing out of that. Dowuona was especially bad at turn overs off the roll recognizing I loved his energy on both the pick and roll. It brought help from the wings. If we didn't do the roll, we made one pass to the wing and looked to drive and shoot. Point being we were not really moving the ball much and there was a lot of one on one leading to forced/contested shots. IMHO that was the reason for the slow start on offense.

Things changed when 1) Claude was getting the ball on the roll and instead of turning it over he played under control and hit the open wings when the help came 2) Sturdivant came in and facilitated both a lot more ball movement but also more uptempo and 3) CDS started using a different set that had a couple of down screens along with a curl action. We got a lot more open movement to the basket and a few easier baskets off this look. Once the ball started moving a bit more and we got a few points in transition off of the D, the shooting got a lot better.

I thought the defense was reasonably good most of the night. On the perimeter we were generally in the gaps providing help and especially in the second half got a lot of steals with active hands as GS guys tried to drive. My one worry on D was we were not great at rim protection. Claude is a good rebounder but not a shot blocker. But he definitely was the choice for O.

Going forward I expect we will see a lot more of Sturdivant to facilitate ball movement and I hope we see some additional sets beyond the basic pro look high ball screen and space the floor we started out with. Get folks and the ball moving. But still a great start

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As a casual basketball fan, all I can tell you is that I could visually see a difference in how quickly the ball moved form player to player. In previous years, folks talked about the ball getting "stuck" in player's hands. Not happening now with this coaching staff.

It's more entertaining. We'll probably live (and die) with our 3point shooting, but hey, it's just more entertaining!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Back in the day...Our 1969-70 season was similar to this one, following several seasons short of national recognition. We were ecomeing a more seasoned team and Rich Yunkus was in his junior year. Attendance was slow as normal for our position in the deep south football world. I pulled together an attachment of attendance figures. We started the year with a home game against Virginia, with 1,873 attending to see our 72-59 victory. We ended our regular season, after receiving an invite to the NCAA and NIT tournaments, at home to #2 ranked Jacksonville with an 86-81 loss, witnessed by then a new Alexander Memorial Coliseum attendance record of 7,759. We had to earn the fans back by performing well on the court, resulting in our acceptance to the NIT in Madison Square Garden. I noted in my attachment that the home crowd averaged about half of the road attendance overall, 3,708 to 7,173. Being an independent, we had to play good teams from all over the country to get noticed and draw a crowd. We played 13 games against AP top-30 ranked teams, including #1 and #2 of top 10 teams and beating the #5, #9, and #10 teams. We played 9 games against current ACC teams, going 7-2. Playing what may be seen today as a boring style of basketball, with no dunking, no 30 second clock, and no three-point shots. We ran shuffle style offenses with set plays to get someone open, mainly center Rich Yunkus, who still holds the school scoring record done in three years with no three pointers. He beat every center he played, including FSU's Dave Cowens, UCLA's Steve Patterson, and Jacksonville's Artis Gilmore. Rich averaged over 30 points per game and 12 rebounds, shooting 56% from the field and 85% from the line. The attendance increases Rich's senior year, also shown below, withus being again invited to both post season tournaments and choosing theNIT, finisishing runner up to UNC. This year's team looks like they have the ability to earn the fans back with their performance. And the fans will be interested in seeing that. After all, last nights Georgia Southern game's attendance was well ahead of Coach Cremins' first game attended by 1,904 fans. And he did ok in the long run.
Those fond memories never leave me. Yunkus would get double and triple teamed and he would just take a step back from the basket, take a fade away jumper with the shot just kissing the glass. And never miss. It was automatic and teams could never stop it.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Those fond memories never leave me. Yunkus would get double and triple teamed and he would just take a step back from the basket, take a fade away jumper with the shot just kissing the glass. And never miss. It was automatic and teams could never stop it.
Northeast Stinger, Rich was just what you say he was. A truly great basketball player and student and person. A model of a Georgia Tech student athlete. And Georgia Tech prepared us student athletes for just about everything and how to survive just about everything in life. I was fortunate play and observe some of the best of basketball ever played, and added it to my life story I want to share from 50 years ago, showing how a country boy gone to the big city benefited from being at Tech and getting out. I am experimenting in putting the drop box link of my story about me plus a lots of Basketball, the military, my friends, and Tech history. Let me know if you can open it. May have to copy and paste the link into your browser.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Northeast Stinger, Rich was just what you say he was. A truly great basketball player and student and person. A model of a Georgia Tech student athlete. And Georgia Tech prepared us student athletes for just about everything and how to survive just about everything in life. I was fortunate play and observe some of the best of basketball ever played, and added it to my life story I want to share from 50 years ago, showing how a country boy gone to the big city benefited from being at Tech and getting out. I am experimenting in putting the drop box link of my story about me plus a lots of Basketball, the military, my friends, and Tech history. Let me know if you can open it. May have to copy and paste the link into your browser.
Just saw this. I will definitely check it out.