11/6 - MBB vs. Georgia Southern

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The three returnees really stabilized us. Great to see. I’m excited to hear what Wiley said about Ndongo being our best 5, because I think that spot will need more than what we got today.

Sacko looked far away from being able to contribute in the ACC on offense. Reeves is athletic and can shoot and may be the X factor this season. He also was seemingly a vocal leader on the court. Claude was also pretty impressive with his energy, rebounding, and ability to play without fouling. I was also very impressed with the unselfishness - we consistently made the second pass and utilized great spacing (Sturdivant was a major reason why).

What was with all the technicals?

Last edited:

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
from the condensed replay on youtiube. my observations
o Love the offense. Need to clean up turnovers
o Trouble blocking out and defending layups on the defensive end. Ga Southern got too many points in the paint.
0 Lot's of athletes. Deebbo has restructured his body.
0 Cleanup the defense in the paint and we are OK

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the things I loved to see was the enthusiasm for each other. The guys on the bench were into it big time (they even had to be told to sit down at one point). All four guys would sprint over to the fifth guy that was on the ground to help him up. Guys were pointing to the player that made the extra to pass to them for an open three. They genuinely seemed happy for each other and played like a team. I have seen guys moping around in the past or looking over their shoulder at coach if they made a turnover. There didn’t seem to be any of that. CDS seems to have a calm presence on the sideline.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Give us a report tommorow tootall please
Thank you for asking for it to be tomorrow lol. Long ride back home but always easier after a win.

Crowd was horrible, but it was a 7:30 tip on a Monday night. Why not have a double header with the lady's team? *I did hear that APS had several bus loads of kids at their game which might explain the attendance difference and early tip for the lady's game.

Got a chance to speak with Terrance Moore after the game and we had similar views. This team needs time to gel in game mode. There seemed to be too much passing especially in the paint. Didn't have that one player to take the ball and say "I'm scoring".

Rebounds and defense (the blocks!) looked ok to somewhat improved. Southern has really improved from last year and because of geography, I'll be attending more of their games than ours so thats a plus for me.

CDS has a very calm demeanor on the sideline. Reminds me of Crimins while at CofC.

Both teams had multiple technical fouls. This should be a good rivalry due to the southern alumni in ATL, but its a crime to be played on a Monday night.

This team has talent and is improved over last year. They will get better as the season progresses.

The AD, President & Atl Mayor were all there. The school seems to really be behind this program.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It'll be interesting to see if the long scoring droughts that plagued us last year recur. Once we got cranked up we stayed cranked up.
1699363920442.png

slugboy

Staff member
  • Hey! We’re undefeated!
  • It’s nice not to fall apart or go into overtime in one of our first two games.
  • GaSou had one guy-Franklin-who was their main threat to score (or seemed that way to me). He scored 17. We didn’t seem to single him out to shut him down.
  • GaSou seems like a decent team with no star players. Maybe they’re in the top half of their conference, and hope for lightning to strike in the conference tournament, but they seem very much like a team that’s watching from home in March
  • Two of our (reportedly) better players-Terry and Ndongo-didn’t play last night
  • For the first half, the basket was unforgiving. It would have been nice to have Terry out there. Even the floaters and layups weren’t going in.
  • The game was tight even 6 or 7 minutes into the second half. If we’d been able to hit free throws or the layups, we’d have had a huge lead. We were really cold in the first half.
  • We rebounded better—we had a lot of second and third-chance shots. A lot of those second and third-chance shots didn’t go either last night.
  • We went 9 deep into the bench. Players looked like they were breathing heavily, which makes me guess that CDS will keep going deep into the bench.
  • The team looks more fluid on offense. They’re still figuring each other out. I could see Stoudamire’s coaching though, in how they pass and move.
  • We at least TRY to screen
  • One time, I saw a player drive a little, step back and take a 3. It was nice to see a player virtually say “I got this” and then do it. We could use more of that.
  • Even though Kelly scored 25, I don’t think there’s that “one guy” on the roster. We didn’t break any ankles dribbling. In the next game, I could see anyone else be the hot hand.
  • It’s early—this team might look a lot different in early December.
@GTNavyNuke That chart looks more like GaSouthern wore out and faded away. Watching the game, it looked like we got hot with about 12-14 minutes to go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I said to my group: WTF did anyone know he cou;d do that? We were all shocked
I said the the same thing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him dunk off one foot or two. He had another clean break away fast break later, and I thought he was going to dunk it again, but he laid it in off the glass. I guess his legs were shot after the first dunk. Seriously though, he played a very good game in the second half.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoudamire, hired in March to take over for the fired Josh Pastner, saw his team use a 21-9 run late to pull away from Southern. The Eagles trailed just 52-50 with less than 10 minutes to play, but a barrage of 3s and some increased defensive pressure by the Yellow Jackets turned the course of play.

“I love our group. I think they’re starting to buy-in,” Stoudamire said. “I think that they see that the things that we do work when we execute it and when we play together.”

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Jackets (1-0) chucked up 29 3-pointers, making 13, and shot 56.7% in the second half. They also had 17 assists on 27 made field goals and overcame 13 turnovers and 10 missed free throws.

Kowacie Reeves chipped in 15 points and Tyzhaun Claude had a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.

“That’s what I kind of hang my hat on no matter what,” Claude said of his rebounds. “Offensively if I’m making shots or missing shots I know I can impact the game by rebounding. Every game, every practice that’s what I’m going to do for my team - make sure we get extra possessions to help us win.”

slugboy

Staff member

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to point out. We shot over 44% (13-29) from 3pt range, which is good in itself. Take out the 0-3 effort from our big men (Claude 0-2, Gapare 0-1) and we shot 50% from the 3.

I don't know how Stoudamire feels about our bigs shooting it from that far out (I'm sure he's like any coach...if they can make it, then take it...plus his preaching of spacing the floor helps when your big guys can make 3's), but you have to like that our guys made a high clip the first game.