11/6 - MBB vs. Georgia Southern

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The opening drought had me thinking “oh no, more of the same”, but once we got going, we had resemblance of a good basketball team, which is more than I can say about the vast majority of our teams in the last 10-15ish years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The opening drought had me thinking “oh no, more of the same”, but once we got going, we had resemblance of a good basketball team, which is more than I can say about the vast majority of our teams in the last 10-15ish years.

I think the vast majority, if not all, of our teams the past 10-15 ish years had 10 minute stretches against bad teams where they looked great. For instance last year against UNI we were up 43-20 at the half.

IMO the thing that sets this apart from most of the past 10-15 ish years is a very solid experienced proven core in Sturdivant, Kelly, Coleman, and Terry returning. IMO the last time we had a similar group returning it was Jose, Moses, Ush, and Devoe. Some obvious, and potential key, differences, but we should be able to be at least competitive for the ACC with that core and what we have around it.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On Wednesday, Mustaf will sign his letter of intent to play for Tech, becoming Stoudamire’s first major signee and Tech’s highest-rated prospect to join the program in a long time. The 6-foot-5, 201-pound point guard is considered a top-six combo guard nationally by the 247Sports Composite rankings and top-50 player overall.
Mustaf will hold a signing ceremony Wednesday at Overtime Elite Arena, a facility only a 20-minute walk from McCamish Pavilion.
{paywall article—snipped by @slugboy —sorry, it’s a copyright-kinda thing}

Last edited by a moderator:

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
This might be somewhere else on the swarm board, but I just saw where Clark Atlanta beat Mercer last night. Isn't that the D2 school we scrimmaged? Maybe they are decent knocking off a mid-major like Mercer.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I’m intrigued to see Ndango.

Claude was a difference maker as expected. Reminds me of Franklin last year. Great at making it tough for opponent to rebound, cleans up the garbage well etc

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gimme more of Sacko...That guy was easily the best athlete on the court. He's built like a JR, he can really run the floor, and he soared through the air for a few boards.

They weren't bull****tin when they said Gapare could guard 1-5. He was step for step with the PG, he blocked 3 shots.

He's going to be very good, but needs to live in the weight room.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I dream of the day both teams pull 6000+ home fans to almost every game
Back in the day...Our 1969-70 season was similar to this one, following several seasons short of national recognition. We were ecomeing a more seasoned team and Rich Yunkus was in his junior year. Attendance was slow as normal for our position in the deep south football world. I pulled together an attachment of attendance figures. We started the year with a home game against Virginia, with 1,873 attending to see our 72-59 victory. We ended our regular season, after receiving an invite to the NCAA and NIT tournaments, at home to #2 ranked Jacksonville with an 86-81 loss, witnessed by then a new Alexander Memorial Coliseum attendance record of 7,759. We had to earn the fans back by performing well on the court, resulting in our acceptance to the NIT in Madison Square Garden. I noted in my attachment that the home crowd averaged about half of the road attendance overall, 3,708 to 7,173. Being an independent, we had to play good teams from all over the country to get noticed and draw a crowd. We played 13 games against AP top-30 ranked teams, including #1 and #2 of top 10 teams and beating the #5, #9, and #10 teams. We played 9 games against current ACC teams, going 7-2. Playing what may be seen today as a boring style of basketball, with no dunking, no 30 second clock, and no three-point shots. We ran shuffle style offenses with set plays to get someone open, mainly center Rich Yunkus, who still holds the school scoring record done in three years with no three pointers. He beat every center he played, including FSU's Dave Cowens, UCLA's Steve Patterson, and Jacksonville's Artis Gilmore. Rich averaged over 30 points per game and 12 rebounds, shooting 56% from the field and 85% from the line. The attendance increases Rich's senior year, also shown below, withus being again invited to both post season tournaments and choosing theNIT, finisishing runner up to UNC. This year's team looks like they have the ability to earn the fans back with their performance. And the fans will be interested in seeing that. After all, last nights Georgia Southern game's attendance was well ahead of Coach Cremins' first game attended by 1,904 fans. And he did ok in the long run.

Attachments

• Georgia Tech 1969-70 baskeball season.jpg
    Georgia Tech 1969-70 baskeball season.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Georgia Tech 1970-71 baskeball season.jpg
    Georgia Tech 1970-71 baskeball season.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Coach Cremins first game -1981.jpg
    Coach Cremins first game -1981.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 12

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
The Jackets (1-0) chucked up 29 3-pointers, making 13, and shot 56.7% in the second half. They also had 17 assists on 27 made field goals and overcame 13 turnovers and 10 missed free throws.

Kowacie Reeves chipped in 15 points and Tyzhaun Claude had a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.

“That’s what I kind of hang my hat on no matter what,” Claude said of his rebounds. “Offensively if I’m making shots or missing shots I know I can impact the game by rebounding. Every game, every practice that’s what I’m going to do for my team - make sure we get extra possessions to help us win.”
The coach seems to be a good teacher of basketball and creates shooters in his likeness. I recall reading that he set a new NBA record of shooting 23 three pointers in a single game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gimme more of Sacko...That guy was easily the best athlete on the court. He's built like a JR, he can really run the floor, and he soared through the air for a few boards.

They weren't bull****tin when they said Gapare could guard 1-5. He was step for step with the PG, he blocked 3 shots.

He's going to be very good, but needs to live in the weight room.
The athleticism of a couple guys really popped. Gapare and Sacko stood out. Once they get used to the speed of the game, defensively they'll be scary.

Liked how solid Claude was.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
What was with all the technicals?

I wasn't able to watch the game live, but watching it today on ESPN+, it really seems like they were all from the female ref throwing her weight around so she wouldn't be "direspected". She seemed to have ZERO patience with certain things the players on either team were saying. Throughout the game she goes out of her way to gesture and tell players on both teams stuff. Lol I was like good grief we got a Tabitha Valentine here to replace Teddy.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
The athleticism of a couple guys really popped. Gapare and Sacko stood out. Once they get used to the speed of the game, defensively they'll be scary.

Liked how solid Claude was.
Reeves on 1 play right baseline I forget if he was trying to block a shot or he was driving to the hoop, but I sware his head was over the rim

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't able to watch the game live, but watching it today on ESPN+, it really seems like they were all from the female ref throwing her weight around so she wouldn't be "direspected". She seemed to have ZERO patience with certain things the players on either team were saying. Throughout the game she goes out of her way to gesture and tell players on both teams stuff. Lol I was like good grief we got a Tabitha Valentine here to replace Teddy.
She did not hesitate to make a call. The last foul she called on Miles was not a foul in the slightest. She was out of position to make a call on that play, but she still manufactured a call. You may be on to something as I noticed the same thing live.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Or you guys are just being sexist and treating her differently than you would a male ref. If she’s being disrespected by players, she should call T’s. Male refs do the same thing, they just get less of it because of their gender. Not sure what is hard about that to understand.

Be proud that the one-off T’s were on GaSo and not our young men. CDS doesn’t tolerate that ****.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Or you guys are just being sexist and treating her differently than you would a male ref. If she’s being disrespected by players, she should call T’s. Male refs do the same thing, they just get less of it because of their gender. Not sure what is hard about that to understand.

Be proud that the one-off T’s were on GaSo and not our young men. CDS doesn’t tolerate that ****.
Well, she was better than the other 2 refs. They made worse calls. I don't think she was being disrespected by players. It's really not worth discussing.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Under the category of 'experience matters,' from last nights game:

Upper classmen: 25 for 47 from the field for 77 points

Underclassmen: 2 for 13 from the field for 7 points.