1/9 - GT MBB vs Notre Dame

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I begrudgingly agree with Peacone. Shrewsberry is the latest of several guards to have a career night against us. He took the game over at the end. We got killed on the boards. Six of our 8 shots in overtime were for three and we missed them all. We are losing because the opposition is making clutch shots on us and we are not making clutch shots.

The team misses a second post presence/producer. We lack, surprisingly, a consistent outside threat. Teams are going to give us the three while they collapse on us in the paint.

Maybe it is my imagination, but it looks to me that the only player that tries to pass the ball to Ndongo is Nait George. Baye needs to touch the ball more.

We are ranked #220 in offensive efficiency and #175 in defensive efficiency. That is out of 362 teams. Mediocrity on both ends. We are ranked #65 is Free Point % defense, which means we are allowing a lot of dribble penetration. We are getting abused by screens at the top.

Two home losses against two weaker ACC clubs will be a difficult blow to overcome.
1704900742035.png

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Sturdy just doesn't have the lateral quickness on defense and it hurts him. When he's feeling it on offense, he's been very good.
The problem on offense is, even when he’s feeling it, he’s not playing within the offense. Everyone else is standing around watching him dribble the air out of it. I’m glad we have someone who can go get a bucket when hot. But the way it happens doesn’t translate to any long-term viability and/or other players becoming more comfortable in the offense.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
When Sturdivant is hitting shots, he is good. But he is not a great playmaker so he doesn't make the players around him better. His big problem is that he is sub-par containing dribble penetration. He is a minus defender at the ACC level. So, if he isn't hitting shots, his presence on the floor is a problem.
This right here. He doesn’t have a true PG mindset

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem on offense is, even when he’s feeling it, he’s not playing within the offense. Everyone else is standing around watching him dribble the air out of it. I’m glad we have someone who can go get a bucket when hot. But the way it happens doesn’t translate to any long-term viability and/or other players becoming more comfortable in the offense.

I don't disagree with some of that, but there have been times Sturdy has kept us in games. I think what you're saying is a big reason why Sturdy is coming off the bench as opposed to starting.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. Because most of our fans are predisposed to a preference of losing & complain, rather than doing something about it by putting up their money where their mouth is.
Was not that way during the 90’s. Actually had confidence and was accustomed to winning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with some of that, but there have been times Sturdy has kept us in games. I think what you're saying is a big reason why Sturdy is coming off the bench as opposed to starting.
I think we are all on the same page here we just emphasize it differently. Again, I like Sturdy but he is a role player not a point guard. His lateral quickness limitations also hinder the offense since his movements and looks are kind of in one direction. Never see him cause a major defensive breakdown because he rarely gets defenders out of position.

But, yes, when his hand is hot we need his scoring.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are all on the same page here we just emphasize it differently. Again, I like Sturdy but he is a role player not a point guard. His lateral quickness limitations also hinder the offense since his movements and looks are kind of in one direction. Never see him cause a major defensive breakdown because he rarely gets defenders out of position.

But, yes, when his hand is hot we need his scoring.
Stury or PG is NOT our problem. Glass eaters, glasseaters, glass eaters!!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Stury or PG is NOT our problem. Glass eaters, glasseaters, glass eaters!!!
Duh. Most of us have wanted a legitimate big man for years. I keep hoping.

But George, as he matures, is closer to the type of point guard we have needed for some time also.

Let me put it another way. A great point guard can make your bigs play better. A great big can sometimes make your guards play better. We want both but the quickest way to get there is to develop serious guard play.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Duh. Most of us have wanted a legitimate big man for years. I keep hoping.

But George, as he matures, is closer to the type of point guard we have needed for some time also.

Let me put it another way. A great point guard can make your bigs play better. A great big can sometimes make your guards play better. We want both but the quickest way to get there is to develop serious guard play.
Your point is well taken. But a PG cannot get defensive rebounds. And prevent 2nd chance points.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Got to want it...

"... got to get tired of losing..."

“Not helping your brother” is something I’ve observed at times. Moving without the ball does not happen with consistency with some players. If a player picks up his dribble make sure you work to give him an open player to pass to. If a player is starting toward the basket don’t stand around and watch him. You should be flowing to an open spot, boxing out, moving toward the rim or positioning for a rebound. “Not helping your brother” is the thing that upsets Stoudamire the most. It’s also when we start to look like we are just playing one on one street ball.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just seems like every team comes to town believing they can win, and we have no confidence we can put anyone away late at home. So, we miss clutch shots and BC and ND make them and we lose to the two worst teams in the league at home. our D is a problem particularly on quick guards. I am beginning to hate Deebo because is cannot make a big shot and it seems like its in his head. He's a good player, but misses open shots that are important and he seems to know it. He maybe should be benched. Nait and Sturdy can't really guard quick guards, not sure who can. Regardless, when team thinks its going to lose, it will end up losing. If CDS is not careful, he's going to lose Ndongo and the 2 big recruits he has coming in and we will be in a bad way.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just seems like every team comes to town believing they can win, and we have no confidence we can put anyone away late at home. So, we miss clutch shots and BC and ND make them and we lose to the two worst teams in the league at home. our D is a problem particularly on quick guards. I am beginning to hate Deebo because is cannot make a big shot and it seems like its in his head. He's a good player, but misses open shots that are important and he seems to know it. He maybe should be benched. Nait and Sturdy can't really guard quick guards, not sure who can. Regardless, when team thinks its going to lose, it will end up losing. If CDS is not careful, he's going to lose Ndongo and the 2 big recruits he has coming in and we will be in a bad way.
Anxiety is high, hug?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Your point is well taken. But a PG cannot get defensive rebounds. And prevent 2nd chance points.
For the season we are up in rebounding over our opponents 605 to 537 with advantage on both offensive and defensive rebounds. Last night was atypical. I would love to get a legit 5 to move Ndongo over to 4 as much as anyone but it isn't our core issue right now.

bgeorge12

Georgia Tech Fan
Point guard might have potential, assist/turnover ratio is about 2.5/1 which is good enough. Shooting 19% from 3 is not. 55% ft is not.
Why is #4 Murphy not getting any playing time. Last year at Air Force he in last 7 games averaged double figures and about 40% from 3.

Im just concerned about type players new on roster. Athletes? Yes. Good shooting? No. Look at traditional makeup of UConn under Hurley, Kansas , Duke, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Gonzaga. All of them build diverse rosters with all different types of players. Did Pastner do this? no. Has Stoudamire so far? No. Does Nell Fortner? Look at 2 international players starting in 1st year this year! Got to have diverse styles of play.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Once George improves his shot, he's going to be unplayable (soccer term for someone hard to defend). He's got some shot selection issues, but you can tell he's going to be a very good PG for us. There are times I want Sturdy in for his scoring, but you live with some of George's shots not falling because they eventually will, then we'll see this team take on a different complexion.
His shot selection is frustrating at times, but he definitely brings something to the game when he’s on the court. It’s weird because there are games that you can tell Sturdy needs to be out there. Then there are games you can tell George needs to be out there. Personally, I don’t like them on the court together. Coach has a great feel for which needs to be out there and he rides with it.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Thought he played great... He was good defensively too. He played Burton tough without fouling, whereas Kyle was getting torched by the kid.

9 pts / 11 assist / 3 turnovers. That's big dog stuff for a kid that should still be in high-school. He would have had more assist if some of our guys could throw it in the ocean.

We missed a number of shots that were wide open, including lay-ups. We always miss free-throws in close games... The missed front end by Miles in crunch time was an absolute back-breaker.

Remember when Jose missed that FT against Clemson. He took complete ownership, damned near cried, but vowed not to miss another. That's the type of leadership we're missing.

Sucks but it is what it is....
Burton was definitely too quick for him. He blew by him a few times.