1/9 - GT MBB vs Notre Dame

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I had meetings last night, and could only see portions of the game. Burton deked Sturdy pretty bad before half. Burton was just quicker.

We have more talent on the team than we did last year, but we can’t 1:1 out talent other teams yet.

I’m not as good at basketball as football. Does Stoudamire go “sink or swim” and get his players to keep trying to play the way he wants, or does he have them play something easier in the meantime?
He got Sturdy a few times. That is why he didn't play down the stretch. I thought switching Miles on him helped some because of his length. Overall, we did a pretty good job on Burton. Coach's son crushed us however.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Ugh. Another home loss to a mediocre ACC team. Interestingly, we found a new way to lose in this one, but we played a pretty good game and even fixed some of our previous issues.

You want less turnovers? ✅Check. Except for a small stretch where George made some freshman mistakes and some inexplicable passes towards the end where guys weren't on the same page, we took care of the ball and only had 10 turnovers. Not amazing, but much better than before.
You want more ball rotation and good passing? ✅ Check. We had some really good sequences of ball movement and overall had 20 assists. I'll take a 2-to-1 assist to turnover ratio any day. George himself had 11!
You want better outside shooting? ✅Well, hello Miles Kelly. We shot 47% in the second half from 3.
You want more defensive intensity? ✅ Ok, then, how about 10 steals--the most we have had all season and more than twice our average.

So, we fixed all of our issues and won, right?

Nope. ND came in ready to rebound and beat us on the boards 48-33. They got an incredible performance from a freshman who averages 7 a game (he got 25) and they somehow hit 19 of 21 free throws (what happened to our trusty free throw defense? :) ). But the biggest issue came in OT. We made some threes and all of a sudden, we thought we were a great outside shooting team and decided to take 6 threes in 8 opportunities. And how did we do? We went 0 for 6. Game over.

These last two really stung. But I am used to GT losing in January. Maybe we will pull a CJP and try to resurrection the season in late February? Its slipping away quickly.

But I'll keep watching and cheering...because its what I do. Go Jackets!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We put them on the line. So they should thank us. We have four and two halves of a player. It’s hard not to think what Jalen Moore could be doing now playing with Nait, Kelly, Reeves, Ndongo and sometimes Coleman and Sturdy.
What did he do last year or at any point during his time here to make him be missed. Yes, I know he is doing well and Oklahoma and could care less.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Because most of our fans are predisposed to a preference of losing & complain, rather than doing something about it by putting up their money where their mouth is.

I made this point in a football thread. Unfortunately, the GT fanbase has way too many people who like to go to Costco to lunch on the free samples then throw a fit because they don't like said free samples.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I made this point in a football thread. Unfortunately, the GT fanbase has way too many people who like to go to Costco to lunch on the free samples then throw a fit because they don't like said free samples.
Great analogy....

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like @deeznats, except he wouldn't complain about the free Costco samples.

He might get the $1.50 hot dog to top it off though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How about 11 assists from George? He had a few turnovers where he left his feet and got stuck, but I'll take 11 assists all day.

Once George improves his shot, he's going to be unplayable (soccer term for someone hard to defend). He's got some shot selection issues, but you can tell he's going to be a very good PG for us. There are times I want Sturdy in for his scoring, but you live with some of George's shots not falling because they eventually will, then we'll see this team take on a different complexion.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How about 11 assists from George? He had a few turnovers where he left his feet and got stuck, but I'll take 11 assists all day.
Thought he played great... He was good defensively too. He played Burton tough without fouling, whereas Kyle was getting torched by the kid.

9 pts / 11 assist / 3 turnovers. That's big dog stuff for a kid that should still be in high-school. He would have had more assist if some of our guys could throw it in the ocean.

We missed a number of shots that were wide open, including lay-ups. We always miss free-throws in close games... The missed front end by Miles in crunch time was an absolute back-breaker.

Remember when Jose missed that FT against Clemson. He took complete ownership, damned near cried, but vowed not to miss another. That's the type of leadership we're missing.

Sucks but it is what it is....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The whole career high thing is somewhat mind boggling. Kids must love playing at McCamish because we seem to get a gut punch from guys we dont really need to game plan for when we host. If you told me Markus Burton was going to go 4-18 I would have thought GT wins this game by double figures. But here comes the coach's son that averages 7.2 ppg and drops 25.

We do a solid job on Post and Zachary against Boston COllege but McGlockton, who averages 8ppg away from home, goes off for 30.

Its very strange.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The whole career high thing is somewhat mind boggling. Kids must love playing at McCamish because we seem to get a gut punch from guys we dont really need to game plan for when we host. If you told me Markus Burton was going to go 4-18 I would have thought GT wins this game by double figures. But here comes the coach's son that averages 7.2 ppg and drops 25.

We do a solid job on Post and Zachary against Boston COllege but McGlockton, who averages 8ppg away from home, goes off for 30.

Its very strange.

That does seem to happen an awful lot. For years too.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
On the bright side, Miles Kelly of last season made an appearance.

On the not so bright side, everyone else (not named Ndongo) who was playing well to fill the Kelly's void decided to not make an appearance. If Reeves and Sturdy play like they normally do, GT wins going away.

This was actually not a bad defensive night for us. ND had 11 assists to 16 TOs, compared to our 20 assists to 10 TOs. We also had 10 steals to their 5. We just picked the wrong night for a few of our players to have a bad night while the one player who's been in a slump finally played like the All ACC player from last year. ND also out rebounded us, which is a rarity for teams this year, and one of their guys had a career game. Seemed like ND players were at the right place at the right time for every offensive rebound or loose ball.

GT: Consistently inconsistent.
Consistently poor shooting team though especially from 3 point land and free throws.