1/9 - GT MBB vs Notre Dame

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They killed us on the boards. And inside scoring. We just don't have a complement for Dgongo. Anybody have the rebound count?
Our guys played hard and really pretty good. Just need some inside help. Big opponents are giving us the most trouble. We also don't drive to the basket as well as we need. Good effort. Ilike these guys.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
That stinks! Losses to BC and ND at home.

I’m glad to see Kelly shooting better, but missing the front end of a 1 & 1 with just over a minute in regulation left really hurt.

We played defense without fouling the first half, but we got back to committing fouls like crazy in the second half. Part of that was them attaching the hoop more, but we can’t play defense without fouling when people get in the paint.

We had a few horrible unforced turnovers where we just threw the ball out of bounds late in the game. Just can’t happen.

At the end of the day, we missed open shots down the stretch. We had a total of 2 points in all of overtime.

Now we get Duke, Clemson, and Virginia.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
They killed us on the boards. And inside scoring. We just don't have a complement for Dgongo. Anybody have the rebound count?
Our guys played hard and really pretty good. Just need some inside help. Big opponents are giving us the most trouble. We also don't drive to the basket as well as we need. Good effort. Ilike these guys.
48-33 them

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On the bright side, Miles Kelly of last season made an appearance.

On the not so bright side, everyone else (not named Ndongo) who was playing well to fill the Kelly's void decided to not make an appearance. If Reeves and Sturdy play like they normally do, GT wins going away.

This was actually not a bad defensive night for us. ND had 11 assists to 16 TOs, compared to our 20 assists to 10 TOs. We also had 10 steals to their 5. We just picked the wrong night for a few of our players to have a bad night while the one player who's been in a slump finally played like the All ACC player from last year. ND also out rebounded us, which is a rarity for teams this year, and one of their guys had a career game. Seemed like ND players were at the right place at the right time for every offensive rebound or loose ball.

GT: Consistently inconsistent.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Both Deebo and Kyle’s body language is so poor when they’re not scoring. CDS just can’t have that from guys who’ve been in the program this long. Those guys are supposed to buy in and help establish the culture, regardless of if CDS brought them here. CDS wanted them to stay, and they chose to stay. I admit, Deebo and Kyle both probably thought after last season they’d be starting this season. And you have to wonder if their diminished roles on a losing team is starting to take a toll.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Both Deebo and Kyle’s body language is so poor when they’re not scoring. CDS just can’t have that from guys who’ve been in the program this long. Those guys are supposed to buy in and help establish the culture, regardless of if CDS brought them here. CDS wanted them to stay, and they chose to stay. I admit, Deebo and Kyle both probably thought after last season they’d be starting this season. And you have to wonder if their diminished roles on a losing team is starting to take a toll.

Deebo actually plays starter level minutes (5th in minutes per game), and has actually played even more minutes above his average the last 4 out of 5 games. Sturdy plays about 4 minutes less this year than he did last year, but when he's playing well he's actually playing as many minutes as George.

I think it's the same for all the players. Stoudamire gives about 9-10 players minutes...and he'll ride the guys late into the game who are playing well that night.

Stoudamire has been pretty consistent with that even if our team has been pretty inconsistent everywhere else.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
This team should beat BC and ND at home. That simple. We all miss Jose, Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum and ALL the other players that you felt could get a bucket, will a win, knock down a critical Free Throw. Miles seems like a nice kid, our leading scorer, but i never feel confident with him at the line, or the ball in his hands for the last shot. I am NOT knocking him, just not all players can be the leading Man. Unfortunately for this current roster, I think he flourishes as more of a Robin than a Batman. We need a Batman.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not sure this is serious, but they are better than GT. Shrewsbury > Kelly. Burton > Sturdy/George. Coach Shrewsbury > Stoudamire. Only Ndongo > ND bigs
I had meetings last night, and could only see portions of the game. Burton deked Sturdy pretty bad before half. Burton was just quicker.

We have more talent on the team than we did last year, but we can’t 1:1 out talent other teams yet.

I’m not as good at basketball as football. Does Stoudamire go “sink or swim” and get his players to keep trying to play the way he wants, or does he have them play something easier in the meantime?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I had meetings last night, and could only see portions of the game. Burton deked Sturdy pretty bad before half. Burton was just quicker.

We have more talent on the team than we did last year, but we can’t 1:1 out talent other teams yet.

I’m not as good at basketball as football. Does Stoudamire go “sink or swim” and get his players to keep trying to play the way he wants, or does he have them play something easier in the meantime?
Nah, coach is going to coach his style and players will either learn or leave. Once CDS gets his guys into the program thats when the real judgement of the hire begins.

slugboy

Staff member
Nah, coach is going to coach his style and players will either learn or leave. Once CDS gets his guys into the program thats when the real judgement of the hire begins.
The first thing I thought of when I saw your response was the roster management thread.

This is a development year for players like Nait—really, for everyone. It’s kind of painful