1/3 - MBB at FSU

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Sorry about the thread title gentlemen. It was late and I couldn't find a game day thread, which is unusual. So I put my comment under the only existing thread on FSU MBB. Now that I have been properly chastised, am I forgiven??
Is the thread title better now?
😊

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well .....

They are kind of the opposite of FSU. They are solid on the defensive glass, they don't create a lot of turnovers. They give up a high shooting % on 3s.

They don't turn it over at all and shoot fairly well. They neither foul a lot or get fouled much. They sound boring or like they don't beat themselves.

We need to avoid the unforced turnovers and must start the game with some energy. Stoudamire said similar things after FSU. It is pretty much stating the obvious but let's do it anyway.
I think the big difference is going to be that BC does not pressure the ball the way FSU did. FSU kept us out of really running an offense by that ball pressure mostly in the half court. If we can run an offense we’ll do a lot better against BC

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the big difference is going to be that BC does not pressure the ball the way FSU did. FSU kept us out of really running an offense by that ball pressure mostly in the half court. If we can run an offense we’ll do a lot better against BC
Agree about the half court ball pressure, but I question why any team wouldn’t pressure us 30 feet from the basket, since we have shown, not just in the fsu game, that we don’t usually handle that kind of pressure well.

FSU may have athleticism that allows them to guard better in open space that other teams don’t have, but I would make us prove it if I was game planning against us.

For GT to beat that aggressive ball pressure, I think we either have to commit to aggressive dribble penetration or actually set some hard ball screens up top and use them instead of faking the screens like we always do. Screening wasn’t very effective against fsu because they just switch without hesitation because they can guard all five positions with every player on the court. GT was more successful with aggressive dribble penetration in the second half but a lot of it was in transition rather than in the half court offense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well .....

They are kind of the opposite of FSU. They are solid on the defensive glass, they don't create a lot of turnovers. They give up a high shooting % on 3s.

They don't turn it over at all and shoot fairly well. They neither foul a lot or get fouled much. They sound boring or like they don't beat themselves.

We need to avoid the unforced turnovers and must start the game with some energy. Stoudamire said similar things after FSU. It is pretty much stating the obvious but let's do it anyway.

Eh, I give it a solid 4 out of 10. Feels like you sat on the fence, here. Hey, I've seen you do better so the bar is that much higher. Sorry, not sorry.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree about the half court ball pressure, but I question why any team wouldn’t pressure us 30 feet from the basket, since we have shown, not just in the fsu game, that we don’t usually handle that kind of pressure well.

FSU may have athleticism that allows them to guard better in open space that other teams don’t have, but I would make us prove it if I was game planning against us.

For GT to beat that aggressive ball pressure, I think we either have to commit to aggressive dribble penetration or actually set some hard ball screens up top and use them instead of faking the screens like we always do. Screening wasn’t very effective against fsu because they just switch without hesitation because they can guard all five positions with every player on the court. GT was more successful with aggressive dribble penetration in the second half but a lot of it was in transition rather than in the half court offense.
I agree with you. I just haven’t seen BC exert the same ball pressure as FSU or Cincy. If they have that in their arsenal I would use it.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Eh, I give it a solid 4 out of 10. Feels like you sat on the fence, here. Hey, I've seen you do better so the bar is that much higher. Sorry, not sorry.
You'll get nothing and like it.

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Rodney Dangerfield