1/3 - MBB at FSU

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That’s fair if you want to disagree. I wouldn’t call your opinion mental gymnastics before having discourse, but sure. My question to you would be, is it possible to expect to win competitive games with a player taking 15-20% of the team’s minutes and 25% of the team’s shots while being one of the worst volume shooters in the country?

The live ball turnovers are systemic that are affecting multiple players in a new system. Therefore, asking that to be immediately corrected is not as low hanging of a fruit as asking one of the supposed best shooters in the conference to start shooting at an average level. I also don’t think the little things Kelly does make up for him literally shooting us out of games - if you disagree with that then I’ll call it the mental Simone Biles.

My overarching point is that, through 12 games, we’d have a better record by playing an average ACC SG than we do by playing Miles Kelly. That does not mean I want Miles Kelly to take fewer shots or be less aggressive. I just want him to be better.

Live ball turnovers are systemic??? What does that even mean? Turnovers are a direct result of poor decision making. Throwing it into traffic, trying to do much, make the HR pass, etc.

The one thing you're right about is that is multiple players. That alone should tell you that it is a bigger problem than Miles shooting woes. We're averaging 13 TO's again, tied for highest in ACC.

Also, when has Miles shot us out of games?

A.) We have only lost three games, so he hasn't shot us out of many
B.) you just overlooking everyone else missing shots?

Miles is having a poor year shooting the rock, that is clear, but to his credit, he is still finding ways to contribute and help us win games.

Replace him with an average ACC shooting guard and we're better? Get real... Miles 14.8ppg will put him in the top 10 of scoring guards in the conference.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Live ball turnovers are systemic??? What does that even mean? Turnovers are a direct result of poor decision making. Throwing it into traffic, trying to do much, make the HR pass, etc.

The one thing you're right about is that is multiple players. That alone should tell you that it is a bigger problem than Miles shooting woes. We're averaging 13 TO's again, tied for highest in ACC.

Also, when has Miles shot us out of games?

A.) We have only lost three games, so he hasn't shot us out of many
B.) you just overlooking everyone else missing shots?

Miles is having a poor year shooting the rock, that is clear, but to his credit, he is still finding ways to contribute and help us win games.

Replace him with an average ACC shooting guard and we're better? Get real... Miles 14.8ppg will put him in the top 10 of scoring guards in the conference.

Kelly leads the team in scoring, is third on the team in rebounding and second in assists. His 2pt field goal average is 41.3%. He headlined the first two wins with over 20 points a game and scored 22 with 12 rebounds against Mississippi State. At MSG, after giving up a late lead and about to lose by 1 to Penn State, he muscled the rebound and went to the FT line with 2 seconds on the clock and made them both. I would hate to think what our record would be without him to date & for the rest of the season. I’m not even sure 3 point shooting is his priority right now. He’s become a great team player and is obviously coachable, doing the little things CSD stresses. Passes unselfishly, drives into the paint, rebounds and hustles after loose balls. And the last 2 games the team had 9 turnovers in each, so maybe that problem is under repair. I sure hope he gets his 3 point fg average back to where it once was, but even without it, he has been a very big part of what has made this team so much fun to watch

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is an important stretch of games for us if we want to make the NCAAT

Coming off of the Hawaii tournament with 10 days off this is the last real extended break we have this year. This basically starts a cycle of Tuesday/Saturday games with a couple Wednesdays games instead until the third to last game where we do have a week off all against ACC teams. So this is the last practical chance to make some tweaks to how we approach things. So it'll be interesting to see what if anything changes now.

We still need to do quite a bit of work in the resume department and our schedule currently stands that our remaining games are 2Q4, 5Q3, 3Q2, and 9Q1 left. Now those aren't final as we have quite a few opponents fairly close to the 75 mark which is the breakpoint between Q1/Q2 for away games and Q2/Q3 for home games. However, with only 2 games against teams currently on the low side of that line, any movement is more likely to result in a shift not in our favor. The next 3 games are two games currently Q3 and then a Q4 game. From a practical standpoint we would probably need a Q1 win to balance out a loss, which is then one less opportunity to gain ground from where we are at.

Lastly, If we can win tonight, we then have two games at home we should be able to win and build some momentum at the start of ACC play.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
His release and shot arch look very similar to last year.
Yes, that’s my point. Line drive/low release shooters tend to be streaky, and can have 20-30 game stretches where they’re really hot or really cold. It’s happening to Saddiq Bey on the Hawks right now. The only difference is in college, a 20-30 game stretch is the entire season. In the NBA, a streaky shooter has significantly more games to get hot after a poor stretch, which is why NBA coaches typically just ride with them until they hit their average.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is an important stretch of games for us if we want to make the NCAAT

Coming off of the Hawaii tournament with 10 days off this is the last real extended break we have this year. This basically starts a cycle of Tuesday/Saturday games with a couple Wednesdays games instead until the third to last game where we do have a week off all against ACC teams. So this is the last practical chance to make some tweaks to how we approach things. So it'll be interesting to see what if anything changes now.

We still need to do quite a bit of work in the resume department and our schedule currently stands that our remaining games are 2Q4, 5Q3, 3Q2, and 9Q1 left. Now those aren't final as we have quite a few opponents fairly close to the 75 mark which is the breakpoint between Q1/Q2 for away games and Q2/Q3 for home games. However, with only 2 games against teams currently on the low side of that line, any movement is more likely to result in a shift not in our favor. The next 3 games are two games currently Q3 and then a Q4 game. From a practical standpoint we would probably need a Q1 win to balance out a loss, which is then one less opportunity to gain ground from where we are at.

Lastly, If we can win tonight, we then have two games at home we should be able to win and build some momentum at the start of ACC play.
Expecting this team to make the NCAAT is a real stretch. Reaching .500 in ACC play would be a really good season.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Team just is what it is I’m afraid. We are about what we’re ranked in Kenpom (maybe slightly better). We aren’t a good offensive team and we don’t seem to be playing great defense either. Our rebounding has been our saving grace but FSU has length and out rebounded us. I think we just need to treat this like this years football season and hope we see improvement over the year and find some upsets that get the fans excited for the future.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss but still in a position to be 3-1 in acc play by the end of next weekend. Kinda need to be at that record with the stretch of games after that.
I always hope for an ncaa tournament appearance but I’ve set my expectations to be happy if we make the nit this year. That would be a great step forward for this staff and direction of the program.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Sigh...

Disappointing offensive showing for most of the game. 1/14 in the first half from behind the arc.

FT shooting was a killer too.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our shooting wasn’t good to say the least. But I put this on our guards who got pushed out by FSU pressure. We were setting up our offense almost at half court especially in the first half. We have to be able to initiate an offense in order to be able to beat ACC teams and we couldn’t do it today

Last edited:

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
We scored 52 points in a half and lost. I hope everyone can lay off Kelly now. He was 3 for 6 from 3 and 7 for 15 overall with 6 rebounds.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Guys at this level are generally good shooters given open shots. The games I have watched so far did not have many open looks. Msybe the shots are a little rushed. The offense has struggled to create mismatches to get open looks or breakdown a defense by beating their man off the dribble.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We are going to have to push the ball into the paint this year to be successful. We won’t be able to live behind the 3 point line throwing up shots.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CDS said it in the post game. We did not have the intensity required to play at this level in the 1st half. We were down 17 before it became important to everyone on the floor. We cut the lead to 7, but time was our enemy by then. Also, we missed 12 FTs.

If ND hangs on at home every ACC visitor will have lost today. Midweek road games in the ACC are tough.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll just mention the positive first
o We handled the full court press well. Very few TO.
o The main negative was the half court press on our offensive end , as it has been every game. Teams that press us at the 3 pt line give us major problems. I'm sure CDS will fix it but it will take some time. Our second half handled that much, much better and we scored the same as FSU in the 2nd half. Their length negated our offensive rebounding which has been a strength. Going to be an interesting year. We have some talented players, but not yet formed the team we COULD be . Will it happen? When?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Curse of the incorrect thread nomenclature lives...
Yeah! I was looking for the right thread title to insert my comments on our team’s performance in this game. I guess this thread is as good as any, so here goes:

Our team played like sh_t last night. I don’t know what they were trying to do on offense, especially in the first half.

The wildly oscillating, hit-or-miss free lance jamboree continues.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I can't say that I am surprised by the outcome. On the road against a talented team that just lost a game they shouldn't have (feeling like their backs are up against the wall) with a lot of length and a propensity to cause turnovers...all of that pointed towards a loss, but I was hopeful we would overcome it. This team has their moments, but they are not yet consistent with the effort and talent it takes to win regularly in the ACC.

What I liked:
-Miles Kelly coming back to life on the offensive end. 50% from 3, and 47% from the floor. I appreciate that he has not lost his confidence, and I hope this is a sign of good things to come.
-Kowacie Freaking Reeves. That guy hates losing and plays with max effort the whole game. I wish we had more like him. He played an excellent game, especially down the stretch.
-Breaking the press and rarely turning over the ball. We had only 10 TOs, which I thought was pretty good against FSU's length and pressure.
-Second half offense. We actually outscored FSU 52-50 in the second half. We pushed the ball up the court on TOs and misses, and got to the basket.

What I didn't like:
-First half offense. It was putrid, actually. Settling for bad shots, letting FSU set their defense every time down, not screening well or cutting hard. All these things collectively put us in a hole.
-Free throw shooting. We did a great job of getting to the line in the second half, but when we needed the points, we missed our FREE throws. 12 of 22 in the second half!
-The title of the thread. Bad things happen when we get that wrong. :)

Credit should go to FSU, who seemingly made every big shot they needed to keep the game at arm's length, including 11 of 14 FTs. Maybe we need to work on our free throw defense.

On to the BC game. I'm glad we get it at home. Go Jackets!