1/3 - MBB at FSU

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, I can't say that I am surprised by the outcome. On the road against a talented team that just lost a game they shouldn't have (feeling like their backs are up against the wall) with a lot of length and a propensity to cause turnovers...all of that pointed towards a loss, but I was hopeful we would overcome it. This team has their moments, but they are not yet consistent with the effort and talent it takes to win regularly in the ACC.

What I liked:
-Miles Kelly coming back to life on the offensive end. 50% from 3, and 47% from the floor. I appreciate that he has not lost his confidence, and I hope this is a sign of good things to come.
-Kowacie Freaking Reeves. That guy hates losing and plays with max effort the whole game. I wish we had more like him. He played an excellent game, especially down the stretch.
-Breaking the press and rarely turning over the ball. We had only 10 TOs, which I thought was pretty good against FSU's length and pressure.
-Second half offense. We actually outscored FSU 52-50 in the second half. We pushed the ball up the court on TOs and misses, and got to the basket.

What I didn't like:
-First half offense. It was putrid, actually. Settling for bad shots, letting FSU set their defense every time down, not screening well or cutting hard. All these things collectively put us in a hole.
-Free throw shooting. We did a great job of getting to the line in the second half, but when we needed the points, we missed our FREE throws. 12 of 22 in the second half!
-The title of the thread. Bad things happen when we get that wrong. :)

Credit should go to FSU, who seemingly made every big shot they needed to keep the game at arm's length, including 11 of 14 FTs. Maybe we need to work on our free throw defense.

On to the BC game. I'm glad we get it at home. Go Jackets!
When, when, when, oh when, are we ever going to consistently get the title of our threads correct? A season hangs in the balance and we are frittering away our chances.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
When, when, when, oh when, are we ever going to consistently get the title of our threads correct? A season hangs in the balance and we are frittering away our chances.
Sorry about the thread title gentlemen. It was late and I couldn't find a game day thread, which is unusual. So I put my comment under the only existing thread on FSU MBB. Now that I have been properly chastised, am I forgiven??

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Might have been rusty. Scoring 19 points in the first half (27% shooting) and 52 points in the second half (59% shooting) is just very weird.

But we lost this game on the defensive end. There were too many defensive breakdowns to count, and we let them build confidence and then we could never close the gap. They shot over 51% from the floor and 41% from three. Against that team, that isn't good at all.

50-50 balls were all FSU, our bigs were just fumbling the ball to the deck over and over, defensive rebounds were hitting the floor.

Missing 12 of 26 free throw attempts and two front end of one and ones was not helpful.

Disappointing game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sorry about the thread title gentlemen. It was late and I couldn't find a game day thread, which is unusual. So I put my comment under the only existing thread on FSU MBB. Now that I have been properly chastised, am I forgiven??
Everybody Loves Raymond Romano GIF by TV Land

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you think FSU is talented just wait until Clemson, Miami, UNC, Virginia and even Wake who is playing without Damari Monsanto, one of the best three point shooters in the league.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
FSU is the tallest team in the country. They are weak on the defensive glass. They create a lot of steals.

If GT does its usual lazy passing the first 10 minutes, we will likely dig a hole. Take care of the ball early, hit the offensive glass, get out and run a bit and I like our chances.
Pretty good call. So glad I had the game recorded. That would have been a really tough game to watch in real time. Ugly AF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were very easy to guard in the first half. We seemed to live outside the 3 point line and were closely guarded.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU is the tallest team in the country. They are weak on the defensive glass. They create a lot of steals.

If GT does its usual lazy passing the first 10 minutes, we will likely dig a hole. Take care of the ball early, hit the offensive glass, get out and run a bit and I like our chances.
You absolutely nailed it ESPNjacket. Exactly! So now tell us about BC Saturday.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you think FSU is talented just wait until Clemson, Miami, UNC, Virginia and even Wake who is playing without Damari Monsanto, one of the best three point shooters in the league.
I'll bite... Are those teams more talented than Duke? What, it doesn't count when we beat someone we're not supposed to?

It is sports bro, if you don't bring the fight, you are almost guaranteed to lose. I don't think anyone is debating that we didn't play like ****, so what is your point?

Yes, all those teams are talented, and I am pretty sure that most of us felt like we would be on the short end against each of those squads.

That said, if they don't come ready to play, they're beatable too.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'll bite... Are those teams more talented than Duke? What, it doesn't count when we beat someone we're not supposed to?

It is sports bro, if you don't bring the fight, you are almost guaranteed to lose. I don't think anyone is debating that we didn't play like ****, so what is your point?

Yes, all those teams are talented, and I am pretty sure that most of us felt like we would be on the short end against each of those squads.

That said, if they don't come ready to play, they're beatable too.
Probably not as talented but I'd say most are better teams. I also don't think Duke is as good as we are used to in seasons passed. I never said anything about it not counting, you're projecting. The point of the post was that Florida State is not that good compared to the top half of the league. Untwist the bunch...bro. Carry on. :rolleyes:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

cr
And, this time, use your voodoo powers to speak some positivity into existence over us. Thanks.
Well .....

They are kind of the opposite of FSU. They are solid on the defensive glass, they don't create a lot of turnovers. They give up a high shooting % on 3s.

They don't turn it over at all and shoot fairly well. They neither foul a lot or get fouled much. They sound boring or like they don't beat themselves.

We need to avoid the unforced turnovers and must start the game with some energy. Stoudamire said similar things after FSU. It is pretty much stating the obvious but let's do it anyway.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Why any team would not dare us to shoot 3s is beyond me.We are bad.Some of it is on poor set-ups but then even Fts were being missed.
DEf wasn't good either--even got out-rebounded.
Pretty much as expected from a young team in age AND exp playing together.
Its a learning yr..

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably not as talented but I'd say most are better teams. I also don't think Duke is as good as we are used to in seasons passed.
I don't think I remember in any of your posts where you note a team we played was really good or played well.

Are there any teams left on our schedule that you think are really good so that if we win, we can hold you to admitting that it was a good win?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I remember in any of your posts where you note a team we played was really good or played well.

Are there any teams left on our schedule that you think are really good so that if we win, we can hold you to admitting that it was a good win?
Yeah, the half dozen I just mentioned earlier today. Must not have looked real hard.

I also never said the Duke win wasn’t a good win. I said Duke wasn’t as good as they usually are. I also asked how the hell that wasn’t a Q1 win when it happened.

I did say Mississippi State won’t dance, so there. Congrats on your GOTCHA moment.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Why any team would not dare us to shoot 3s is beyond me.We are bad.Some of it is on poor set-ups but then even Fts were being missed.
DEf wasn't good either--even got out-rebounded.
Pretty much as expected from a young team in age AND exp playing together.
Its a learning yr..
Nobody has to dare this team to take threes. We’re taking them regardless.

Count me among those who thinks our three shooting is hampered by not being in rhythm, poor looks and contested shots. If an opponent was to play less aggressively and give us clean looks our percentage might improve.