1/20 - MBB vs. UVA

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It’s very hard to play defense for 25 seconds every possession then see a guy hit a 3 point shot from the G in the GT logo. UVA makes opponents play hard at both ends of the court.

They set multiple screens every possession. They set so many the officials then to let the down low illegal moving screens go.
Yes, on the 3 pt daggers---ask dook.The guy from Pitt was 7-7 on 3s and most were not really open which killed dook.
btw--on the 3 guys we've recruited next are good but ,none are real sharpshooters, just scorers which is what we have now really.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, on the 3 pt daggers---ask dook.The guy from Pitt was 7-7 on 3s and most were not really open which killed dook.
btw--on the 3 guys we've recruited next are good but ,none are real sharpshooters, just scorers which is what we have now really.
We need more athletic scorers that can make tough, contested drives to the basket. We don’t have that on the current roster, and I hope the new recruits have those abilities. We also need at least one real sharpshooter too. We need it all 😂

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I finally sat down to watch Stoudamire's post game presser. If you haven't yet watched, do so. It is remarkable.

That was the first time I've seen him pissed and frustrated with his team. He did not praise a single GT player, or the team in any way.

He said that the team is "consistently inconsistent." He said that the players have to get tired of that.

He did not heap any respect on UVA. He said that "they run two plays" for their entire offense and that to defend them his players can't "get bored" of digging in defending their actions deep into the shot clock. he said that there wasn't a single UVA player that did anything that they don't usually do. Stoudamire was pissed that his players did not execute on defense how they were instructed to do it. And he thought that the break downs were all about toughness and competitiveness.

When asked if he could take away anything positive from the team cutting the lead to 5 points in the second half, he said something that I have never heard a coach say: he said that it is easy to play hard and come back when you have a double digit deficit. He remembered the moment when Gt got within two possession is the second half and Stoudamire said, "and them Miles left McNeely open for an uncontested 3."

With regard to his team growing a pair, Stoudamire said that "it is time."

He said that in three years time that "I won't be up here talking about this." I took that to mean that he WILL have a tough, competitive squad by then (or that he will be gone!).

Bottom line, Stoudamire boiled over post game UVA. He is frustrated by the lack of competitive consistency of his players. He does not think too much of UVA or what they do and thought that his players should have executed, especially defensively, much better than they did.

I think this is a good sign. I hope that he is able to find via recruiting the type of tough competitors that he thinks he needs to win against teams like UVA.
I couldn’t agree with you more. I have found myself loving all post games (win or lose), but he crushed this one. First thing he mentioned was how he was disappointed with our fight.

He was right on the money. UVA took it to us and when they punched us in the mouth, we didn’t punch back. I loved his comments and hope that our teams gets it soon.

He’s gonna find kids that compete. That’s the low down on Mustaf, and he’s working hard on Davis who drops with competitive spirit.

Speaking of which, CDS let it be known that he’s a competitor and always has been. Said he wants to beat you in seeing who can walk to that door the fastest, now that’s competitive spirit!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I believe Bennett is 20-2 vs GT. Ouch
Stupid dragon

game of thrones fire GIF

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
When asked if he could take away anything positive from the team cutting the lead to 5 points in the second half, he said something that I have never heard a coach say: he said that it is easy to play hard and come back when you have a double digit deficit. He remembered the moment when Gt got within two possession is the second half and Stoudamire said, "and them Miles left McNeely open for an uncontested 3."
Yeah, usually you get the opposite - coachspeak about fighting hard, even though score effects mean the team with the big late lead usually lets up a bit.

Watching this year's team vs last year's I'm far more optimistic, there's more potential for highs, and - at least since Cincinatti - a lot fewer super-low lows, but the inconsistency is a killer. Obviously Stoudamire knows that too. It's shocking how many coaches don't seem to, though (at least not publicly.)

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I like how CDS says we won’t be up here in 3 years talking about this. Translates into I’ll have my roster of guys who will be playing winning basketball.