1/13 - MBB vs. Duke

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Gapare is a major key to this scheme going forward. But he is a stretch 4 in this concept and not another post player. This is not and really cannot be a double post concept.

In the second half Duke forced us to go big with Ndongo and Claude at the same time to match up with Young and Flip. Young then ignored Claude and sat in the lane waiting on the roll. Gummed our offense all up notwithstanding the one cut Claude made trying to jam the ball.

If we are going to keep Ndongo at the 5 as I expect we are (not totally sure) then we need a better backup post player and more options at a stretch 4 who can bang with a Young on occasion but abuse a Young in space.
You are spot on. A stretch four would have been the answer yesterday. Young was literally playing nobody on defense. He stood in the paint and slowed down the pick and role that will were killing them on. I almost wish we would have just stuck with a shooting lineup and take our blows on the defensive end to keep scoring on the offensive end. They were scoring anyways with Claude in. I would have liked Reeves and Deebo in the corners, where Kelly and George could just keep running that high screen with Ndongo. Make Young go cover the corners.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Claude shows a little presence on the boards and works hard. But let's face it, he is a below the rim player in an above the rim league. There is no lift to his game and ACC players are just over the top of him on both ends. He doesn't have the foot quickness to maneuver around bigger guys. He doesn't have enough size and strength to clear out space for himself on offense, doesn't show much face-up ability to pull defenders away from collapsing on Ndongo. I haven't seen all the ACC teams play, so maybe he will match-up against somebody. But so far, it hasn't been pretty.

It is not the player's fault. We needed numbers and he is in there trying. But we need Gapare to continue to develop his feel for the game and decrease his breakdowns on both ends.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
28 foul shots to 12. That was the difference in the game. And it wasn't Tech fouling down the stretch to catch up that caused the differential. 19-4 foul shot differential in the first half. GT 33 nailed it: It's the Duke script: get the best player in foul trouble early. And the officials are quick to go with the script, especially at Cameron.

The differential in the first half makes me think that one official was biased toward Duke, but he wasn't positioned to do that in the second half. It would be interesting to see a break down by official, but they don't report those.

Officiating is why I rarely watch basketball anymore. Officiating determines the outcome of a high percentage of games. If you told me it was 50% in conference games, it would seem high, but I would not doubt it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
28 foul shots to 12. That was the difference in the game. And it wasn't Tech fouling down the stretch to catch up that caused the differential. 19-4 foul shot differential in the first half. GT 33 nailed it: It's the Duke script: get the best player in foul trouble early. And the officials are quick to go with the script, especially at Cameron.

The differential in the first half makes me think that one official was biased toward Duke, but he wasn't positioned to do that in the second half. It would be interesting to see a break down by official, but they don't report those.

Officiating is why I rarely watch basketball anymore. Officiating determines the outcome of a high percentage of games. If you told me it was 50% in conference games, it would seem high, but I would not doubt it.
Watching the replay today I only saw 2 or 3 questionable calls. That’s normal. It wasn’t the officials. We had several offensive fouls setting high screens. They were clearly fouls.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the replay today I only saw 2 or 3 questionable calls. That’s normal. It wasn’t the officials. We had several offensive fouls setting high screens. They were clearly fouls.
Nah, there were plenty that could have gone uncalled, as well as several that could have been called to send us to the line more. Filipowski got the benefit of the doubt. Luckily he missed a lot, or the score would have been even worse.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Thing about dook is the almost never get called for what everyone seems to get called for. The body contact on shots, the pushing, grabbing, holding, shoulder bumping, etc. They use moving screens to their advantage, got called once yesterday. They love to bump the guy dribbling up court. Stuff like that. Coaches complain to refs all the time, but when Shyer wanted a goaltending review of that one shot that clanked off the rim the refs stopped play and gave him one. Few if any teams get that kind of preferential treatment. The reason they have troubles in the NCAA tournament is that stuff gets called both ways on them. It typically does not in ACC conference games where they enjoy a large advantage the majority of time. Yesterday we didn't get the hardcore dook officiating we get a lot of times where you get straight up shafted, but the equivalent calls on them weren't called ether.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think I am beginning to see what the team is being taught and beginning to do on the court. Coach's background is built around the basketball 101 fundamentals of the screen, involving 2 or more players, being the player with the ball, the screener, and the other three being in place to take advantage of the screen, either shooting or rebounding. That takes a team effort to pull off, plus individual fundamental basketball skills. There are 28 different types of screens, and I have been able to observe attempts at 4 or 5 being tried, including the high screen, pick and pop, UCLA screen, and the ghost screen. A good tutorial of the 28 screens and how to defend them can be found at https://hoopstudent.com/basketball-screens/ .

Our current team, consisting of 9 guards and 7 forwards of various levels of all-star fame from 6 countries and learning basketball from over 20 high schools or colleges not including AAU team coaches, may never have been exposed to being taught the simple to complex art of screening that it appears that Coach Stoudamire mentions and is beginning to teach. Also I see this segment of offensive patterns from other college teams and most pro teams, and especially high school AAU teams. I am pretty certain the coaches are also teaching defense of the screen, and all 16 players are getting practice in both the offense and defense of team play in practice involving the screen. I see progress being made, as well as individual skills to avoid fundamental mistakes. I think we will sneak up on several more teams this year as the team buys into and learns the coaches' intent. That is where individual and team attitude comes in and we are making progress there.

Clemson will be a challenge as they try to do the same style of offense as Tech starting three seniors, a junior, and a sophmore, but I believe we are practiced for them. Littlejohn is a tough arena to play with the down fans in your face. Believe it or not, 56 years ago our Georgia Tech freshman team of 1968-69 played the first game in the new Littlejohn Coliseum and they had new uniforms. I scored the first two points in and we beat their freshman team 81-67.

For the UVA game on Jan 20, The Georgia Tech men''s basketball letterwinners will be honored for the 39th consecutive year since 1985 when Coach Cremins began the annual Letterwinners game. I will not be able to make it this year because I am still recovering from cancer and my wife has cancer surgery that week. Go Jackets!
Great write up, thank you.

P.S. (...and more importantly) wishing you and your wife strength and continued courage as you fight cancer.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
You’re right. And the fouls against us came not only often, but early, so they were in the double bonus with a lot of time left in the first half. We’d work for a shot, often make it, then foul them and they’d get two points back at the line every time.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think I am beginning to see what the team is being taught and beginning to do on the court. Coach's background is built around the basketball 101 fundamentals of the screen, involving 2 or more players, being the player with the ball, the screener, and the other three being in place to take advantage of the screen, either shooting or rebounding. That takes a team effort to pull off, plus individual fundamental basketball skills. There are 28 different types of screens, and I have been able to observe attempts at 4 or 5 being tried, including the high screen, pick and pop, UCLA screen, and the ghost screen. A good tutorial of the 28 screens and how to defend them can be found at https://hoopstudent.com/basketball-screens/ .

Our current team, consisting of 9 guards and 7 forwards of various levels of all-star fame from 6 countries and learning basketball from over 20 high schools or colleges not including AAU team coaches, may never have been exposed to being taught the simple to complex art of screening that it appears that Coach Stoudamire mentions and is beginning to teach. Also I see this segment of offensive patterns from other college teams and most pro teams, and especially high school AAU teams. I am pretty certain the coaches are also teaching defense of the screen, and all 16 players are getting practice in both the offense and defense of team play in practice involving the screen. I see progress being made, as well as individual skills to avoid fundamental mistakes. I think we will sneak up on several more teams this year as the team buys into and learns the coaches' intent. That is where individual and team attitude comes in and we are making progress there.

Clemson will be a challenge as they try to do the same style of offense as Tech starting three seniors, a junior, and a sophmore, but I believe we are practiced for them. Littlejohn is a tough arena to play with the down fans in your face. Believe it or not, 56 years ago our Georgia Tech freshman team of 1968-69 played the first game in the new Littlejohn Coliseum and they had new uniforms. I scored the first two points in and we beat their freshman team 81-67.

For the UVA game on Jan 20, The Georgia Tech men''s basketball letterwinners will be honored for the 39th consecutive year since 1985 when Coach Cremins began the annual Letterwinners game. I will not be able to make it this year because I am still recovering from cancer and my wife has cancer surgery that week. Go Jackets!
Rich Yunkus, from that photo, seemed to have quite a wingspan.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nah, there were plenty that could have gone uncalled, as well as several that could have been called to send us to the line more. Filipowski got the benefit of the doubt. Luckily he missed a lot, or the score would have been even worse.
It looked like Ndongo’s two quick fouls were clearly fouls. The first he reached in/down and the second was a moving screen.

Second is Duke was playing all Burger Boys who generally are better athletes than their opponents.

Duke has than the 4th most FTs in conference games. UNC has taken the most, no suprise. The suprise is Louisville has taken the second most FTs.

Cameron is a clear advantage arena. On a 1-10 scale I thought that was at least a 7 which is good playing against Duke there. Just my opinion watching the replay this morning.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I know this isn’t popular, but I didn’t think the officiating was that bad. We have fouled guys all season. There are always going to be calls that make us mad, but I didn’t think it was that bad. Saying that, I didn’t like the call on Ndongo later in the game when Flip was bullying his way in the post, then I thought Flip fouled him on the other end when he shot that left hand layup. Nevertheless, it happens.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Rich Yunkus, from that photo, seemed to have quite a wingspan.
Recruited from Illinois by assistant coach Dwane Morrison, Rich was considered one of the top three players in the country out of high school in 1967. At 6-9 &1/2, he measured almost 7 foot span. With the Lew Alcinder no-dunk rule in effect, he took advantage of that by a high release of his left hand jump shots that very few, even Jacksonville's 7 foot 2 inch Artis Gilmore could stop. Rich shot over 52% from the field his junior year with 30.1 points per game and 10th nationally in scoring. He had a career 26.6 ppg and 12 rebounds, still the Tech leading career points leader with only three years on the varsity due to freshman being ineligible. We definitely had a center-focused offense during his time and had plenty of time in the California shuffle or the Kentucky flip-flop offense to get Rich the ball with no 30-second clock, still scoring 80 points a game shooting 50% as a team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Recruited from Illinois by assistant coach Dwane Morrison, Rich was considered one of the top three players in the country out of high school in 1967. At 6-9 &1/2, he measured almost 7 foot span. With the Lew Alcinder no-dunk rule in effect, he took advantage of that by a high release of his left hand jump shots that very few, even Jacksonville's 7 foot 2 inch Artis Gilmore could stop. Rich shot over 52% from the field his junior year with 30.1 points per game and 10th nationally in scoring. He had a career 26.6 ppg and 12 rebounds, still the Tech leading career points leader with only three years on the varsity due to freshman being ineligible. We definitely had a center-focused offense during his time and had plenty of time in the California shuffle or the Kentucky flip-flop offense to get Rich the ball with no 30-second clock, still scoring 80 points a game shooting 50% as a team.
To me his scoring never looked desperate. His shots always looked easy and relaxed. I loved watching him play.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Was Yunkus still around when Jacksonville came to AMC? I was that game as a young kid but only remember Gilmore being the big draw.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Was Yunkus still around when Jacksonville came to AMC? I was that game as a young kid but only remember Gilmore being the big draw.
Yunkus went against the twin towers Gilmore and Burroughs and was the game's leading scorer. They beat us by 5 in a back and forth game. Some clippings are here. Jacksonville and UCLA played in the NCAA finals in 1970 and we lost in the NIT quarterfinals. Yunkus outscored every center he played against, including Jacksonville's Artis Gilmore, FSU's Dave Cowens, and UCLA's Steve Patterson.

Attachments

• Yunkus vs Gilmore 1970.jpg
    Yunkus vs Gilmore 1970.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 7
  • GT-NIT vs NCAA finalists Jacksonville and UCLA 1970.jpg
    GT-NIT vs NCAA finalists Jacksonville and UCLA 1970.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 7