šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„ Good Take on our Current Challenges

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Several weeks ago I looked at the two deep on the OL and DL for the top 20 teams. You would be surprised how few Fr, So played on the lines. Yes, there are some, but the majority of the teams lines consisted of Jrs and Srs.
Let's look at the 2-deeps on the 3 best teams on our schedule. They are in order of LT, LG, C, RG, RT, TE. In most cases, but not all when it list Fr, it is a R-Fr. When it list for example Sr-Jr, it means: starter-1st back-up.

Clemson- Jr-Fr, So-Fr, So-Fr, Jr-So, Jr-Fr uga- Sr-Fr, Sr-Fr, Fr-Jr, Jr-Jr, So-Fr, Fr-Jr ND- Fr-Sr, Jr-Jr, Sr-Fr, Sr-Sr, Sr-Jr, So-Jr

Our '20 & '21 classes will be Sos and Jrs this coming season and our portals will be largely Sos and Jrs.

Covid means all of the above is understated due to extra year, but otoh can mean fewer games/PT.

So, not so rare to have Fr, Sos, & Jrs OL on 2-deep. It's time to produce on the OL. Depth will require another year plus the portal. The above also indicates there is a limit to how long these players have played together.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to agree. Too many of his press conferences he wears his hat and then tucks his chin. We can't see his face or eyes while he is talking. He should take off the hat, lift his chin and tell us what happened and how he going to fix it. Make him watch some of those Pastnor press conferences.
if you have seen how Collins' hair looks, he absolutely should not take the hat off.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm mad too.

Mad at Binion and the writers on that site that are constantly and publicly running down this program.
Mad at people who provide fodder for opposing recruiters.
Mad at people who don't understand that positive is better than negative.
Mad at people who don't understand you don't win with inexperienced players.
Mad at people who want instant gratification.
Mad at people who don't understand that Collins has had only two full recruiting classes to produce results.
Mad at people who don't understand that this program has limited resources but don't contribute to it.

I'll stop there before I get really mad.
I have to agree with you. He writes like someone who doesnā€™t know how the game actually works. He doesnā€™t seem to have an understanding of the nuts and bolts of how offenses or defenses function, and rather than trying to educate himself on where our team is failing, he just doubles down on the fact that weā€™re not doing well and throws in stats that say the same thing without adding any more depth or insight. Oh, weā€™re losing games? Gee, I hadnā€™t noticed. Oh, and our yardage gained and given up as well as our points scored and given up look bad? Wow, what a surprise! You mean to tell me that teams who gain fewer yards, score fewer points, allow more yards, and allow more points than their opponents tend to lose a lot of games? Iā€™m so glad we have someone who can enlighten us with such insight!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with you. He writes like someone who doesnā€™t know how the game actually works. He doesnā€™t seem to have an understanding of the nuts and bolts of how offenses or defenses function, and rather than trying to educate himself on where our team is failing, he just doubles down on the fact that weā€™re not doing well and throws in stats that say the same thing without adding any more depth or insight. Oh, weā€™re losing games? Gee, I hadnā€™t noticed. Oh, and our yardage gained and given up as well as our points scored and given up look bad? Wow, what a surprise! You mean to tell me that teams who gain fewer yards, score fewer points, allow more yards, and allow more points than their opponents tend to lose a lot of games? Iā€™m so glad we have someone who can enlighten us with such insight!
The point of the article isn't really trying to do a deep dive into our current problems. It is to show how statements made publicly by our program don't really match up with reality and therefore may have been creating expectations that we weren't close to meeting.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let's look at the 2-deeps on the 3 best teams on our schedule. They are in order of LT, LG, C, RG, RT, TE. In most cases, but not all when it list Fr, it is a R-Fr. When it list for example Sr-Jr, it means: starter-1st back-up.

Clemson- Jr-Fr, So-Fr, So-Fr, Jr-So, Jr-Fr uga- Sr-Fr, Sr-Fr, Fr-Jr, Jr-Jr, So-Fr, Fr-Jr ND- Fr-Sr, Jr-Jr, Sr-Fr, Sr-Sr, Sr-Jr, So-Jr

Our '20 & '21 classes will be Sos and Jrs this coming season and our portals will be largely Sos and Jrs.

Covid means all of the above is understated due to extra year, but otoh can mean fewer games/PT.

So, not so rare to have Fr, Sos, & Jrs OL on 2-deep. It's time to produce on the OL. Depth will require another year plus the portal. The above also indicates there is a limit to how long these players have played together.
You can completely discount 2020 as a year. We had 8 weeks of S&C including 3 practices. We had no preseason practice and the season didn't start until mid September. During the season, we missed a whole month for C-19 protocol in which we could not practice. So 5 months does not a year make. So, our earliest linemen have year and a half of experience and S&C. Their ( in your post) R-Fr or So in the 2021 season would be Class of 2019.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The point of the article isn't really trying to do a deep dive into our current problems. It is to show how statements made publicly by our program don't really match up with reality and therefore may have been creating expectations that we weren't close to meeting.
I was making more of a general statement on the quality of articles from him. Yes, this particular article is about PR, but heā€™s written plenty of articles that follow the formula I described. And as someone else pointed out, 3 wins a year for three years in a row was going to have us all unhappy regardless of the PR. If heā€™d come out and said ā€œThis football program is an absolute mess, and weā€™ll probably only win 3 games a year for a few years,ā€ we wouldnā€™t be any happier. If anything, we probably would have turned on him much sooner, and weā€™d be cursing Stansbury for hiring a coach whoā€™d already given up.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You can completely discount 2020 as a year. We had 8 weeks of S&C including 3 practices. We had no preseason practice and the season didn't start until mid September. During the season, we missed a whole month for C-19 protocol in which we could not practice. So 5 months does not a year make. So, our earliest linemen have year and a half of experience and S&C. Their ( in your post) R-Fr or So in the 2021 season would be Class of 2019.
More or less, same for every team. Point stands.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Except ours are not Covid-adjusted in your listing. If they were, then you'd have listed them as Freshmen and Sophomores, with most of them being Freshmen and RS Freshmen. All of our transfers are in their first or second year at Tech. So, yeah, we're still pretty damn young.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Except ours are not Covid-adjusted in your listing. If they were, then you'd have listed them as Freshmen and Sophomores, with most of them being Freshmen and RS Freshmen. All of our transfers are in their first or second year at Tech. So, yeah, we're still pretty damn young.
It is their second and third year on campus, do you really think they are Fr and R-Fr ? I don't think when the '22 class steps on campus, they will think they are, especially when practice starts. A lot has to do with how talented they are when signed. See Clemson's data. We could just subtract one class from each class of OL I listed for all teams. Cochran and Johnson were not young last year and neither is Quick for next year (he's probably 20 years old).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm mad too.

Mad at Binion and the writers on that site that are constantly and publicly running down this program.
Mad at people who provide fodder for opposing recruiters.
Mad at people who don't understand that positive is better than negative.
Mad at people who don't understand you don't win with inexperienced players.
Mad at people who want instant gratification.
Mad at people who don't understand that Collins has had only two full recruiting classes to produce results.
Mad at people who don't understand that this program has limited resources but don't contribute to it.

I'll stop there before I get really mad.
How many years have you been mad as a Tech fan?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. The point of the article was to show that Collins consistently said things that were in direct contradiction to what the stats were showing. I thought it was a mild article in that he did not once call him a charlatan or snake oil salesman. He said it was a PR problem implying that the damage was self inflicted.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If three straight three win seasons does not get you "mad" then nothing will.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If three straight three win seasons does not get you "mad" then nothing will.
Who says Iā€™m not mad about that? Is there anyone here whoā€™s happy about that? Just because I donā€™t spend every five minutes of every day complaining about it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m happy about it or find it an acceptable level of performance.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Who says Iā€™m not mad about that? Is there anyone here whoā€™s happy about that? Just because I donā€™t spend every five minutes of every day complaining about it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m happy about it or find it an acceptable level of performance.
My post was not directed at you but at the OP that you quoted. He is "mad" about a lot of things except what he should be mad about.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

So, not so rare to have Fr, Sos, & Jrs OL on 2-deep. It's time to produce on the OL. Depth will require another year plus the portal. The above also indicates there is a limit to how long these l of years.