šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„ Good Take on our Current Challenges

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I dont like coaches that yell into a players helmet or makes fun of walmzrt workers. Life's too short to make enemies. I love coaches that are brilliant.

I don't like coaches that glibbly give clearly false defense of failure. I love coaches that work their *** off.

Now, I am furious at cgc after recruiting like a demon has blown easy strategic choices that have wasted time that we cant get back.

These will be discussed in off season as will " what is our goal( win 50% against duke, virginia, mia, etc).

Unless collins changes dramatically, i know he can only get us so far.

It is important the next move by gt be a great hire. He has shown me that he is so busy busy he misses important easy course corrections. Great people will not bust their *** for him.
Funny thing. I did not like coaches yelling in my face either but the only thing I really remember was that one of them LIBERALLY splashed that Aqua Velva aftershave on just before practice because he would shave a second time for some reason. I can still smell it. Strange what one remembers through the mists of time.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Then you havenā€™t been paying attention?Because that is what a lot of people initially said. This was the whole justification for a 7 year guaranteed contract for Collins. Admittedly those people are not as vocal as they were 3 years ago or even last year but the whole point of writing off 2019 (CPJā€™s fault) and 2020 (COVID year doesnā€™t count) was to suggest that 2021 was actually year 0 and we still need at least 2 more years after that. Some people still want to buy time for this experiment to work.

As for win in 21, most of the public reporting from AJC as well as sports blogs is that Collins felt forced to over promise in 2021 because of pressure from TStan. But around here there are still plenty of people clinging to the idea that it takes years to build an offensive line ā€œfrom scratch.ā€ Yeah, 7 years is still a thing for some people though they arenā€™t as vocal as they used to be.

Sorry you missed all those conversations.
It does not take 7 years for a team to learn how to play disciplined , aggressive football.
To play hard for an entire game
I think the old saw in reverse applies to our coach....he can take his'n & lode to yours or take yours & lose to his'n
Probably he is a good guy but he is not suited to be the head football coach at GT
If you disagree that is OK as this is & has been my opinion from the announcement of his hiring.
But I never thought it would be as bad as it is.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It does not take 7 years for a team to learn how to play disciplined , aggressive football.
I think the old saw in reverse applies to our coach....he can take his'n & lode to yours or take yours & lose to his'n
Probably he is a good guy but he is not suited to be the head football coach at GT
If you disagree that is OK as this is & has been my opinion from the announcement of his hiring.
I agree 100% that at the very least we should have seen our teams playing disciplined football from the start. It doesnā€™t take talent to do that. I do think they play hard to the end though the last couple of games may not have been good examples of that.

As for Collins abilities as a head coachā€¦ so far he has not shown what I need to see in order to believe he can turn things around performance wise. I think we have been recruiting better and I do like the hires we made so far this off-season. I remain skeptical about Thacker but I do think heā€™s a good LB coach. And Iā€™m encouraged that we will have a single voice in the DB room.

One thing I think Collins has failed at miserably that he didnā€™t have to is making GT Nation inclusive. He has done almost everything he can to exclude the fans from feeling like we are part of the program. And again, it didnā€™t need to be that way. Of course some folks would never like him as his personality isnā€™t for everyone. But he could have made the fans part of ā€œusā€ versus treating us like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed crap).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% that at the very least we should have seen our teams playing disciplined football from the start. It doesnā€™t take talent to do that. I do think they play hard to the end though the last couple of games may not have been good examples of that.

As for Collins abilities as a head coachā€¦ so far he has not shown what I need to see in order to believe he can turn things around performance wise. I think we have been recruiting better and I do like the hires we made so far this off-season. I remain skeptical about Thacker but I do think heā€™s a good LB coach. And Iā€™m encouraged that we will have a single voice in the DB room.

One thing I think Collins has failed at miserably that he didnā€™t have to is making GT Nation inclusive. He has done almost everything he can to exclude the fans from feeling like we are part of the program. And again, it didnā€™t need to be that way. Of course some folks would never like him as his personality isnā€™t for everyone. But he could have made the fans part of ā€œusā€ versus treating us like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed crap).
Yep, but having Thacker around means TWO of the main problems with the DEF will still be here for next yr-GC and Thacker.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Yep, but having Thacker around means TWO of the main problems with the DEF will still be here for next yr-GC and Thacker.
I honestly don't know what role, if any, Collins played in the actual running of the defense last year. I know he says he was "involved in all aspects of the team" but who knows how much he really did. I would prefer him to be making the defensive calls than Thacker because I know how bad we are with Thacker calling the plays. But if Thacker is mainly coaching the LBs, a role for which there is evidence he's actually a pretty darn good coach, and we fix the communication problems in the secondary that were evident to every person who saw a GT game the last three years whether they knew anything about football or not, then maybe, just maybe, our defense can go from abysmal to not too terrible. If that happens and we get improvement from the offense then we have the ability to win more games.

And before you say it I freely admit that that is a VERY optimistic and I'm saying it even if I'm not certain even I believe it :ROFLMAO:

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
True, but linemen with less than 2 years in S&C are disadvantaged against guys with 4 or more years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How many games were those 5 healthy and playing at the same time?
After unc at walk up for next game , johnsons dad said he was nursing an injury so they were glad he could just play a little this game. They hoped he could get well as they were gojng to start training for pro day. Ryan played the whole game hurt and pretty much played every game.
Cooper was a warrior for us the whole time he played for collins . They had him at center for a while. Favorite memory was at end of long game we lost he made a bad snap near the goal line. Cooper just stood there by him self for about 30 seconds. This past year he made a great play running to the side line and diving for a loose ball fumble. Guy was all in. The starters know the young guys aren't ready and are acting accordingly.
I will try to find out about Adam Smith s possible second knee surgery. He may just rehab and try to help.
The new transfer QUICK has had nagging back problems while at Alabama. Long ago My ol son had career ending back thoracic facet fracture. OL is tough on the body.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this is the wake-up call for CGC. He realizes it's do or die.
I hope the Sea of Red at uga wakes up the Prez . Tstan needs strategic help w $ and campus support.
Brilles came to a decriped baylor team from houston. He got a 7cyear contract and money to fire up the students. The ADMIN had a mandentory FOOTBALL ONLY pep rally for the incoming freshman ONLY . The only speaker was brilles. If was on fox sports tv. He said the football program belonged to this freshman class. If they wohld come and act crazy he would restsrt old baylor traditions- all freshman in free yellow baylor tee shirt take the field as they run to there front row seats behind the opposing team.
There is no doubt the whole staff and the players know that next year will define them.

Last edited:

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that there were 3 Srs and a Jr, but doesn't time playing together make a difference for an Oline? I think I heard this week that of the 20 starting Olineman for the 4 playoff teams, only 1 was a transfer. The inference was that those lines were good because they had stayed and played together.
It's probably more that transfers are usually not staying at their old school for a reason.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech is going to make their new hires official today. Lots of good conversation on this page. I appreciate several views. Regarding Collins not making a connect with the fan base, I would suggest that he watch several of his interviews, particularly during the last four weeks of the season. His body language appears to be that of a defeated man. He could use some friends to help him out with connecting with the fanbase. He just gives me the opinion of it's us vs them mentality. My opinion could be wrong about all that, but this is the time (the off season) to get out and start making connections with fans. Answer the tough questions and don't talk around in circles. He might be surprised at the support he could get.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
All you have to do is ask your attackers why so many teams have Fr, Sos, and Jrs, on their starting OL. And don't let em get away with---well they have played together a long time. They haven't.
Several weeks ago I looked at the two deep on the OL and DL for the top 20 teams. You would be surprised how few Fr, So played on the lines. Yes, there are some, but the majority of the teams lines consisted of Jrs and Srs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

The PR Blunders of the AA seem to me to be a large issue for us. We can (and certainly many of us have) laid plenty of blame on the coaches, but the messaging around the program from ADTS down to kids tweeting out gifs feels so off base. Like High Sizzle imagery but Tone-deaf.

Am curious if anyone knows how or what J1S or Legends involvement has on the messaging piece for the program?
I might have an opinion if the question was in English.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He just gives me the opinion of it's us vs them mentality. My opinion could be wrong about all that, but this is the time (the off season) to get out and start making connections with fans. Answer the tough questions and don't talk around in circles. He might be surprised at the support he could get.
I agree. Furthermore, I get the same vibe from our current coach that I did from his two predecessors....CGC, CPJ and CCG just give (or gave) me the impression that dealing with the fans was an unpleasant task that they wish they didn't have to do. I get why it is annoying...but you should remember who is paying the bills at the end of the day. Cremins and Pastner just seem to have the knack of engaging with the fanbase. GO'L seemed to do a good job with it. The fans are not going away and, at the end of they day, they do want you to be succesful in your job. You can embrace them and give yourself more latitude or you can keep them at bay. The choice seems like a no-brainer to me.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Thatā€™s a distinction without a difference.

Where these conversations get off track, in my opinion, is we have some who want to delay as long as possible the time when we finally hold CGC responsible for results. I think they really believe that he needs an extended period before his recruits finally kick in and start winning. Iā€™m skeptical but willing to be proven wrong while at the same time frustrated that, by some peopleā€™s math, we have to endure at least two to three more years of poor to mediocre results. That makes me restless.
I know Collins has a 7 year contract, but I think that is more optics than anything. I look at it as a 4 year contract with a $7m buyout. Granted, if you fire him prior to 4 years, you will pay a much larger buyout, but I think that adds a necessary level of discipline for impatient boosters.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Tech is going to make their new hires official today. Lots of good conversation on this page. I appreciate several views. Regarding Collins not making a connect with the fan base, I would suggest that he watch several of his interviews, particularly during the last four weeks of the season. His body language appears to be that of a defeated man. He could use some friends to help him out with connecting with the fanbase. He just gives me the opinion of it's us vs them mentality. My opinion could be wrong about all that, but this is the time (the off season) to get out and start making connections with fans. Answer the tough questions and don't talk around in circles. He might be surprised at the support he could get.
I tend to agree. Too many of his press conferences he wears his hat and then tucks his chin. We can't see his face or eyes while he is talking. He should take off the hat, lift his chin and tell us what happened and how he going to fix it. Make him watch some of those Pastnor press conferences.

slugboy

Staff member
He seemed to be doing a good job with the students and the fans at Temple, and that may be one of the reasons they felt burned when he left. Last year wasn't a good year for fan engagement but underperforming three years in a row is going to make this rough.

He can wear his hat in press conferences and do a lot of other things, but he's got to take this head-on in conversations and he's got to win. He can't lose to Syracuse and NIU and the Citadel any longer, and he needs to start getting upsets against higher ranked teams.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'm mad too.

Mad at Binion and the writers on that site that are constantly and publicly running down this program.
Mad at people who provide fodder for opposing recruiters.
Mad at people who don't understand that positive is better than negative.
Mad at people who don't understand you don't win with inexperienced players.
Mad at people who want instant gratification.
Mad at people who don't understand that Collins has had only two full recruiting classes to produce results.
Mad at people who don't understand that this program has limited resources but don't contribute to it.

I'll stop there before I get really mad.