“Competing” open Head Coaching jobs

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
I tend to agree with this. The guy is about as exciting as watching turf grow. IMO, he is solid, but has a limited upside due to recruiting. He has slipped a notch in that recently and it's showing. Interview ? Absolutely ! Hire him ? Only if he is the best we can do.......and I hope that is not the case. I am hoping it's O"Brien.
Is 9-4 last year really slipping a notch though? He had one bad year aka the Covid year then immediately went 9-4 the next year.

Also there is a big different IMO between avg 7 wins vs say 9 wins a year.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
We should come up with a list of former coaches who were fired from their job for winning 7-9 games a year.

Dan Mullen
Paul Chryst
Gary Patterson
Ed Orgeron (not that I want him)
Gus Malzahn
Tom Herman
Chris Petersen
Not counting the Covid year where they only played like half the amount of games. Paul Chryst avg 10 wins a year. So he’s not even on that list.

He’s coaching winning avg is better than any coach GT has had in the last 50 years.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
If Gt can do joint research w Emory and other schools, we can find a way to offer joint educational programs that are more of interest to athletes. I trust the hill to find a way.

I know 2 sophmore ol who have yet to see field that graduate in spring . If they dont want to get business degree what class do they take. Ncaa says must take a gt class. These 2 are sum cum laude candidates but deddrick mills roomate graduated w degree and minor in 3 5 years. He had 1 year and a redshirt but decided to move on.
If hill is serious I think the hill can figure out what to do.
And I had classes with a third string offensive lineman that got his civil engineering degree and ultimately became the president of AT&T. So the academics are still the priority to me.

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
I understand your point, but I don't have a lot of expectation that we will all of a sudden be throwing out stupid money for a coach, which is what I expect Nebraska to do. I'm betting our new coach gets between $4-5 million a year with a larger assistant salary pool than we've ever had before. That's a huge change for us, and sure to be beneficial, but Nebraska with its finances can afford to go big with a hire and still pay for top assistants.
All one has to do to see the ridiculous Big Ten money is to see that completely stupid contract Michigan State gave to Mel Tucker after one year.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Crazy how seemingly different offenses can actually be complementary. One of the reasons CPJ's offense was so visionary...and still is. I've always said CPJ's offense has never been fully unleashed...which is SCARY if you think about it.
CPJ as an NFL OC with unlimited coaching time and a GM that properly structure the roster would be must watch television

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And I had classes with a third string offensive lineman that got his civil engineering degree and ultimately became the president of AT&T. So the academics are still the priority to me.
Chamberlin ( rt) played in orange bowl in 14 and went back to his home town to start a half way house in bad area. Nice kid.

Cpj let the non scholsrhip ol kid bring team out w the american flag right behind the wrek. - got his degree in NE.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, that’s the only thing holding it back
i don’t know that’s true. at this point nfl football favors the pass so much running the option would just be handicapping yourself. nfl teams are also so much more disciplined that it would be hard to be successful

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
graham got moved to WR almost immediately when he transferred. this post is incredibly wishful thinking. at no point did he show anything that would lead anyone to believe he was a power 5 qb in a non cpj offense

Graham got injured to this throwing shoulder when he transfered to southern during the workouts leading up to spring he then missed the spring and took the summer off before trying to come back but being unable. That injury had a lot to do with southerns qb issues that season as graham was expected to be the guy.

JacketFan137

Banned
Graham got injured to this throwing shoulder when he transfered to southern during the workouts leading up to spring he then missed the spring and took the summer off before trying to come back but being unable. That injury had a lot to do with southerns qb issues that season as graham was expected to be the guy.
that is not how i have heard that went down at all

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i don’t know that’s true. at this point nfl football favors the pass so much running the option would just be handicapping yourself. nfl teams are also so much more disciplined that it would be hard to be successful
I thought the original hypothetical in which a nfl organization, coach and gm gave Johnson the reins and drafted / staffed for his offense was sufficiently implausible enough that my sarcasm would be obvious.
For what it’s worth, if anyone did reach that point, I’m pretty sure you could find players willing to take their shot in the nfl. Whether it’s successful is another story entirely but it sure as heck would be an interesting experiment to watch

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, here is one man's ranking of the open jobs.

Updated Hot Seat rankings

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
FWIW, here is one man's ranking of the open jobs.

Updated Hot Seat rankings
The CBS podcast guys discussed this yesterday, and were split as to whether we or Colorado were #5 on this list. Reasonable points regarding academics and institutional support were cited.

Come on, Pres Ángel, make us #4!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The CBS podcast guys discussed this yesterday, and were split as to whether we or Colorado were #5 on this list. Reasonable points regarding academics and institutional support were cited.

Come on, Pres Ángel, make us #4!
Are we really behind Nebraska and Arizona State? Things are worse than I thought.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Are we really behind Nebraska and Arizona State? Things are worse than I thought.

Nebraska and ASU only have optics challenges to overcome for recruiting. They don't have built in hurdles. ASU is really easy to get people to think about. Its a party school. Nebraska has the osbourne era. Truthfully i think Nebraska is going to make a play at Chadwell as well.