“Competing” open Head Coaching jobs

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, It's being reported that Chryst was due over $16MM, but has agreed to something significantly less ($8-10MM range). Wonder if GT can work a little magic with Collins.

Also, while I don't expect a change, Mich St giving Mel Tucker an almost $10MM/yr contract last year doesn't look quite as good right now. 2-3 with no wins over P5 teams. Their remaining schedule could easily see them go 6-6 or 5-7 (they still have OSU, @MI @Penn St) as well as games against WI and @ILL.

I think cryst might jus tbe retiring btu he loves wiscy so he might be helping them out.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I will add that Coach Pat was an exceptionally bad hire. I hated the hire at the time and he proved that he was not ready for FBS football. We would have been much better with another OC, but I still we would have a hard time running any offense effectively that first year.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He easily could have ran a power run offense and still been pro-style. I doubt they told him he had to run an RPO.

Yates was a freshman in 2019 a true freshman actually and I wouldn't think coming into a game where you are down like we were was going to show off anything.
"easily"? With that roster? Oh, we could have run it, but we would not have been very good at it. Probably as bad as any of the last 3.5 years.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
CPJ won 11 games his last two years with that OL. We averaged 40% completion and around 1,000 yards passing those last two years under CPJ. If CPJ couldn't get it to work, and he's a legit HoF coach, what makes you think Collins could have come in and magically squeezed 6-7 wins a year out of that group?
Who's O-line did he win the 12th game with?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We should come up with a list of former coaches who were fired from their job for winning 7-9 games a year.

Dan Mullen
Paul Chryst
Gary Patterson
Ed Orgeron (not that I want him)
Gus Malzahn
Tom Herman
Chris Petersen

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The discussion in another thread, ranking open head coaching roles, made me think:

Is the GT Head coaching job more or less attractive after Geoff Collins' stint vs what Paul Johnson left?

After Paul Johnson:
  • Players built for option football
  • GT brand tied to option football
  • average performance - not dominant but respected in the ACC
After Geoff Collins:
  • Improved talent for Pro Style Offense
  • GT Brand tied to Atlanta
  • Dismal performance - basement dweller in rankings
Thoughts?
If you think the GT brand is tied to Atlanta, you really aren't paying attention. This one area that if Collins had won, he may have made some headway. But being one of the worst teams in FBS while your arch rival is celebrating their Natty with your hometown's baseball team's World Championship is not tying your brand to your city. The new AD needs to put some dollars into driving FB and BB recruiting of this area. Pastner needs to start ingratiating him self with the locals. Way too much talent is going to places like Louisville, Purdue and Auburn much less the big three of Clemson, Bama and ugag.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
How is it harder than explaining a real RPO or air raid offense?

Football might have the thickest rule book of any sport I can think of, and offenses are either constrained or set to take advantage of some of those rules. There are different reads for each offense, and a bunch of things you’re trying to do with each formation. In the Flexbone, you have a decent starting understanding if you know where the center is and can count defensive players.

If football fans can’t or won’t understand a Flexbone offense, what offenses do they really understand? Or, are they just watching something that looks familiar?

Actually it is a bit it really comes down to line action. The ol play of a johnson offense is a bit more complicated than the ol play of an airraid or of an rpo. Things that look like the same plays really arent, but are to the layman. Air raid is easy to explain. We throw it to the open guy. And it looks different. Rpo same thing the end user just sees inside zone or quick slant. Its pretty much what yousaid last. They dont know what the scheme is or why the slant post combo is being ran but those words get said by troy aikman on sunday so it must be smart football!

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
"easily"? With that roster? Oh, we could have run it, but we would not have been very good at it. Probably as bad as any of the last 3.5 years.

It would have been easier yes. When your line is attacking in stead of catching and you are running a down hill attack you are atleast getting 2-3 yards which opens up play action a bit better. Woudl we have won more than 3? Maybe, would we have been blown out as much? Probably not. Running the clock reduces TOP for your opponent and cuts down on their scoring opportunities. I would have much rather been dealing with what nebraska was dealing with losing constant one score games, than what happened the first two years of collins. We had some games where we ahd success doing just that. Miami was one of them where mason ran it down their throats. Lousiville as well. duke one year. Hell UNC last year i thought we'd uncovered a formula but things seemed to just go away.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I will add that Coach Pat was an exceptionally bad hire. I hated the hire at the time and he proved that he was not ready for FBS football. We would have been much better with another OC, but I still we would have a hard time running any offense effectively that first year.

heres the strange irony here.

Coach Pat actually started his career running the flexbone successfully at the FCS level. He even was a head coach. When he oc'd at coastal carolina he had a successful offense which lead ot his hiring at temple. his last year they averaged aroudn 400 yards and 34 points a game. Truthfully he looked about like any other g5 OC looking for an opp at the p5 level and he had a lot of experience. On paper he wasn't a bad hire.

But if you talked to temple fans about where their offense was before he got there... we should have avoided him like the plague.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
heres the strange irony here.

Coach Pat actually started his career running the flexbone successfully at the FCS level. He even was a head coach. When he oc'd at coastal carolina he had a successful offense which lead ot his hiring at temple. his last year they averaged aroudn 400 yards and 34 points a game. Truthfully he looked about like any other g5 OC looking for an opp at the p5 level and he had a lot of experience. On paper he wasn't a bad hire.

But if you talked to temple fans about where their offense was before he got there... we should have avoided him like the plague.
I wonder how much of that was cuz of G**** C******

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
More attractive now. If someone can come in and keep OL from transferring out and guys in general from transferring we'll have more experienced and mature guys in the trenches.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually it is a bit it really comes down to line action. The ol play of a johnson offense is a bit more complicated than the ol play of an airraid or of an rpo. Things that look like the same plays really arent, but are to the layman. Air raid is easy to explain. We throw it to the open guy. And it looks different. Rpo same thing the end user just sees inside zone or quick slant. Its pretty much what yousaid last. They dont know what the scheme is or why the slant post combo is being ran but those words get said by troy aikman on sunday so it must be smart football!
The air raid formations and line gaps are like cpj. They just make you cover vertically. In 93 sons hs team copied Stephenvillez( biles) air raid as a second offense. Prime offense was power I.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The air raid formations and line gaps are like cpj. They just make you cover vertically. In 93 sons hs team copied Stephenvillez( biles) air raid as a second offense. Prime offense was power I.

Crazy how seemingly different offenses can actually be complementary. One of the reasons CPJ's offense was so visionary...and still is. I've always said CPJ's offense has never been fully unleashed...which is SCARY if you think about it.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
We have not been serious $$ since we hired cpj. The ol coach Todd didn't have budget to come to Texas

Some accommodations in a generals studies degree and better tutoring move the needle off nearly nothing.

We ran offense with a combined oc hc and hoped that would be the easy fix for being bottom givers. I now only give almost zero to the alumni roll call.

I hope AC makes some long term structural changes and becomes a champion for the part of gt that is doing badly.

The most positive thing he said is he equates a winning football team w a positive college experience ( players). I have faith he will see this as mandentory as a de- stresser for the students highly competitive academics life.
PREZ AC CAN A GREAT REASON TO COACH AT GT
The following is a non-starter in conversations about any athletics program. Changing the academic profile of the Georgia Institute of Technology is completely unacceptable.

Some accommodations in a generals studies degree and better tutoring move the needle off nearly nothing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The following is a non-starter in conversations about any athletics program. Changing the academic profile of the Georgia Institute of Technology is completely unacceptable.

If Gt can do joint research w Emory and other schools, we can find a way to offer joint educational programs that are more of interest to athletes. I trust the hill to find a way.

I know 2 sophmore ol who have yet to see field that graduate in spring . If they dont want to get business degree what class do they take. Ncaa says must take a gt class. These 2 are sum cum laude candidates but deddrick mills roomate graduated w degree and minor in 3 5 years. He had 1 year and a redshirt but decided to move on.
If hill is serious I think the hill can figure out what to do.