“Competing” open Head Coaching jobs

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I thought Cryst was doing a pretty good job at Wisconsin. Something like 67-28. Is there more to that story?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As of October 2nd, the following programs have interim head coaches

Georgia Tech (that’s us)
Colorado (Dorrell)
Wisconsin (Paul Cryst)
Nebraska (Scott Frost)
Arizona State (Herm Edwards)

Programs likely to fire their coach:
Auburn

There's a tracker at

Assuming Auburn lets Harsin go, they are the top opening right now. I'd say Wisconsin would be a solid #2, with Nebraska the third best opening. ASU and GT are about equal, with Colorado maybe being a slightly less desirable landing spot.

David Shaw is likely not surviving at Stanford, and it's very possible Texas and Sarkisian part ways. That puts two schools ahead of us in likely pecking order. Satterfield at UL could make it three more.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I still like Satterfield. He was my top candidate for GT. UL was a dumpster fire after petrino

slugboy

Staff member
Notre Dame and LSU are both unhappy camps right now, too. They'll probably get a little better, though.

EDIT: Does Harsin make sense at Colorado?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Notre Dame and LSU are both unhappy camps right now, too. They'll probably get a little better, though.

LSU is winning ATM, and with all the money they paid Kelley, I don't see them firing him this season unless the wheels fall completely off for the rest of the season.

Notre Dame, however, has the real possibility of losing 4-5 games this season. If the do, I would not be shocked to see them can the new coach. That would put another school ahead of us in the pecking order.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Assuming Auburn lets Harsin go, they are the top opening right now. I'd say Wisconsin would be a solid #2, with Nebraska the third best opening. ASU and GT are about equal, with Colorado maybe being a slightly less desirable landing spot.

David Shaw is likely not surviving at Stanford, and it's very possible Texas and Sarkisian part ways. That puts two schools ahead of us in likely pecking order. Satterfield at UL could make it three more.
Wisconsin will go hard for the Kansas coach, Leipold. He coached D-3 in Wisconsin for a long time and knows the lay of the land

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wisconsin will go hard for the Kansas coach, Leipold. He coached D-3 in Wisconsin for a long time and knows the lay of the land

This was my thought as well. Either them or Nebraska. I don't think it really changes the calculus for us though as the Kansas coach is widely seen as a midwestern guy so he was never really in play for us anyways IMO. If Kansas becomes vacant, I think it's still a less desirable job than ours ATM.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This was my thought as well. Either them or Nebraska. I don't think it really changes the calculus for us though as the Kansas coach is widely seen as a midwestern guy so he was never really in play for us anyways IMO. If Kansas becomes vacant, I think it's still a less desirable job than ours ATM.

Leipold to Wisconsin has been going on for a bit. Boosters at Wisconsin have been looking for a reason to get rid of Chryst for a while.

Kansas would be DUMB not to go after someone like Jeff Monken or Brian Bohannon there. Any good coach is going to get poached from them...just so hard to recruit. UNLESS, that coach runs a "pure" option based offense like Monken and Bohannon. Kansas was very astute going after Leipold, but people are looking to move their coach to get him in...and we're starting to see that now.

Kansas could have a Monken and Bohannon type there for years because programs are shying away from "pure" option based offenses. Kansas is such a unique situation that struck lightening with Leipold, but guys like him are few and far between for a program like Kansas.

One thing to look at regarding the Wisconsin situation is their interim Jim Leonhard. Leonhard has a LOT of backing from admins and boosters. He's been looked at as a "coach in waiting" for years. This is essentially an open tryout for him. If he knocks it out of the park, Wisconsin probably keeps him as permanent HC. If he doesn't do enough, there will be pressure to throw a LOT of money at Leipold and get him "home". In a strange twist, Nebraska was also rumored to be interested in Leonhard if Leipold turned them down.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech’s win over Pitt might make us slightly more desirable now. It shows any coach who is confident in their abilities that Tech is not a complete dumpster fire and can be turned around. I think we move ahead of Nebraska in the pecking order now.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Leipold to Wisconsin has been going on for a bit. Boosters at Wisconsin have been looking for a reason to get rid of Chryst for a while.

Kansas would be DUMB not to go after someone like Jeff Monken or Brian Bohannon there. Any good coach is going to get poached from them...just so hard to recruit. UNLESS, that coach runs a "pure" option based offense like Monken and Bohannon. Kansas was very astute going after Leipold, but people are looking to move their coach to get him in...and we're starting to see that now.

Kansas could have a Monken and Bohannon type there for years because programs are shying away from "pure" option based offenses. Kansas is such a unique situation that struck lightening with Leipold, but guys like him are few and far between for a program like Kansas.

One thing to look at regarding the Wisconsin situation is their interim Jim Leonhard. Leonhard has a LOT of backing from admins and boosters. He's been looked at as a "coach in waiting" for years. This is essentially an open tryout for him. If he knocks it out of the park, Wisconsin probably keeps him as permanent HC. If he doesn't do enough, there will be pressure to throw a LOT of money at Leipold and get him "home". In a strange twist, Nebraska was also rumored to be interested in Leonhard if Leipold turned them down.
Do you live in the Midwest? Pretty deep knowledge on other teams if not.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The chopping block hasn’t fallen yet. Still more to come.
Outside of money which is the great equalizer; and
Which is more important?
Pressure? Recruiting base? Competition? Climate? Amenities?
I would say GT and Atlanta could top every job not considering money.