“Branding” and “Marketing” ...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In what ways would GT be branded and marketed?

Suggestions? Please list them here.

This is a very broad question. There are 3 components involved ... a brand strategy, a brand identity, and a visual identity.

A brand strategy is conceptual and deals with how GT would be positioned against other schools.

A brand strategy would deal with how that strategy would be implemented. Colors, phrases, messages, target groups and value propositions.

A visual identity is the physical production of the brand. So far, TStan has simplified the VI, but hasn’t really articulated the brand strategy.

Any of these can take a lot to summarize. Might be a fun project over the winter.

Although I know some here will scoff at this, Tech already has a brand --- The Yellow Jackets, The 'Ramblin 'Reck, and THE WHITE AND GOLD. We don't need to mess with the brand; what we need to do is to learn how to MARKET it, and Tech has done a miserable job of marketing for years. Coming up with different, interesting, and/or unique uniform styles is fine, even if if gets a little bizarre in some peoples' eyes, and we should applaud that. But totally changing the colors of the uniforms is absurd, especially if they're as butt-ugly as the white jerseys and blue pants, or that crap we wore Wendesday.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This is a very broad question. There are 3 components involved ... a brand strategy, a brand identity, and a visual identity.

A brand strategy is conceptual and deals with how GT would be positioned against other schools.

A brand strategy would deal with how that strategy would be implemented. Colors, phrases, messages, target groups and value propositions.

A visual identity is the physical production of the brand. So far, TStan has simplified the VI, but hasn’t really articulated the brand strategy.

Any of these can take a lot to summarize. Might be a fun project over the winter.

As you understand (but another poster above does not) the branding that Collins and Stansbury are talking about is more than words and logos. It's selling what Georgia Tech is--and to some degree--what it isn't. It's selling where we are--Atlanta, and the advantages of Atlanta. It's selling academics in a positive way. It's making the great things about Tech known to the public and getting the relevant consumer to buy in--whether that consumer is an alum, a recruit, or a potential fan. That's branding.

I get SO frustrated with folks on this board who repeat the tired excuses as to why we can't compete and why we should settle for mediocrity. They point out how we are different from other schools, but they only look at the differences from a negative point of view. I am glad they don't work for me, but frankly, they never could or would.

As a parting comment, I haven't seen this kind of enthusiasm since Homer was AD. Homer knew Tech was different, he saw it as an advantage, and he sold it. Stansbury was here when Homer was here, and I believe he learned a thing or two.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
As you understand (but another poster above does not) the branding that Collins and Stansbury are talking about is more than words and logos. It's selling what Georgia Tech is--and to some degree--what it isn't. It's selling where we are--Atlanta, and the advantages of Atlanta. It's selling academics in a positive way. It's making the great things about Tech known to the public and getting the relevant consumer to buy in--whether that consumer is an alum, a recruit, or a potential fan. That's branding.

I get SO frustrated with folks on this board who repeat the tired excuses as to why we can't compete and why we should settle for mediocrity. They point out how we are different from other schools, but they only look at the differences from a negative point of view. I am glad they don't work for me, but frankly, they never could or would.

As a parting comment, I haven't seen this kind of enthusiasm since Homer was AD. Homer knew Tech was different, he saw it as an advantage, and he sold it. Stansbury was here when Homer was here, and I believe he learned a thing or two.

I remember former AD Homer Rice’s “Total Person Concept.”

As far as I know, it’s still in use at GT, isn’t it?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I remember former AD Homer Rice’s “Total Person Concept.”

As far as I know, it’s still in use at GT, isn’t it?
Some version of it is in use at several schools

One of the things that always sticks in my mind was Homer's comment that "Georgia Tech is about quality, not quantity." Translated: we have a small fan base but a high quality fan base. He leveraged that quality in a very effective way. Branding.