“Branding” and “Marketing” ...

LibertyTurns

Banned
@RonJohn I’ve lived 15 different places in my adult life. Outside of FL, GA and to a lesser degree adjoining states we’re the football team you don’t want to play because it’s embarrassing if you do and lose. No upside to beating us in most cases unless it’s 1AA. That’s why no name Div 1 program really wants to schedule us. This was true going back as far as the Dodd years. West of Alabama, north of Va we’re basically irrelevant and have been for 5 decades. Basketball they all remember Cremins and that’s it. That’s pretty much a nationwide theme. some people know we’re good at golf. We’re seen as chokers in baseball.

Yeah people can rattle off Rambling Wreck. Few outside of southeast know we’re the Yellow Jackets unless they’re fairly hardcore sports fans.

I’m sure others have opinions but that’s my experience.

Animal02

Banned
Tech needs to work on establishing our brand both on and off the field at a national level. We all cringe when we hear recruits and announcers referring to us as Georgia Tech University. We are one of four division 1 football programs that is not a university (army, navy, Air Force academies) and we are the only school that is an Institute. I believe we can leverage this into our brand. (Ex: Welcome to THE INSTITUTE ). If we can get recruits and announcers referring to us as The Institute it should help us establish/brand what makes us different.
Tech's own web pages refer to it as a University......scrap that idea. :banghead:

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
I remember ~10 years ago when Tech athletics started publicizing the idea of “building the Tech brand”. Scheduling Big Boi for a halftime show was part of the initiative accordingly to the article in the AJC.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know location the google " ideas to improve gt athletics. ?
I posted my gt students program and build dronesxto fly at bds and now cant find the google site. Thanks.

@RonJohn I’ve lived 15 different places in my adult life. Outside of FL, GA and to a lesser degree adjoining states we’re the football team you don’t want to play because it’s embarrassing if you do and lose. No upside to beating us in most cases unless it’s 1AA. That’s why no name Div 1 program really wants to schedule us. This was true going back as far as the Dodd years. West of Alabama, north of Va we’re basically irrelevant and have been for 5 decades. Basketball they all remember Cremins and that’s it. That’s pretty much a nationwide theme. some people know we’re good at golf. We’re seen as chokers in baseball.

Yeah people can rattle off Rambling Wreck. Few outside of southeast know we’re the Yellow Jackets unless they’re fairly hardcore sports fans.

I’m sure others have opinions but that’s my experience.
When I was on a vacation tour in Turkey several years ago, the NBA playoffs were going on, and several men in our group were talking about them. Our very friendly guide asked me who I was pulling for, and I told him that I was only interested in college basketball, and he asked which school. When I told him I was a Georgia Tech fan, his immediate response was, "oh, the Yellow Jackets." He said he and his dad had been able to view several college (and thus) Tech games when Cremins was coach, and he had become very fond of us. So we are known as the Yellow Jackets outside the SE US.
On a side note, I told him that Tech's number one rival in sports was the University of Georgia. His response to that was, "I've never heard of them." LOL

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I remember ~10 years ago when Tech athletics started publicizing the idea of “building the Tech brand”. Scheduling Big Boi for a halftime show was part of the initiative accordingly to the article in the AJC.

And, here we are. If it were an easy task, I guess it would be accomplished already. Not going to be easy "building the Tech brand" and bringing new people into this brand.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Hello? Anyone interested in Goals, Objectives and Strategies as I described them previously?

I’m not talking about mascots, the car, the colors, the outside perceptions. I’m talking about real goals, objectives, and strategies to accomplish the “brand” we want: a nationally renowned college football power.

The InstAtute

Georgia Tech Fan
In a strictly esoteric sense, Tech IS a "university," but there is more to identification than esoteric thoughts. ALL Tech people know we are THE INSTITUTE !!!
ALL Tech people definitely know that we are THE INSTITUTE. I would love to see this as part of the narrative moving forward as this sets us apart academically from every other school.

☠CaptainBuzz☠

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech needs to work on establishing our brand both on and off the field at a national level. We all cringe when we hear recruits and announcers referring to us as Georgia Tech University. We are one of four division 1 football programs that is not a university (army, navy, Air Force academies) and we are the only school that is an Institute. I believe we can leverage this into our brand. (Ex: Welcome to THE INSTITUTE ). If we can get recruits and announcers referring to us as The Institute it should help us establish/brand what makes us different.
Agreed. I’ve always thought it could be pushed as the schools nickname. We all know “The” Ohio State University and “The U.” There are a lot of schools that are referred to as tech, but there’s isn’t an “Institute.” Maybe this goes against tradition...Idk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

For 4 of those years, GTAA was led by MBob. He scrapped almost everything that DRad had worked on. He spend at least one year working on a mission statement PowerPoint presentation that said pretty much nothing. Apparently employee moral tanked during his tenure. He supposedly turned down some large donation offers. I don't see how any "branding" initiatives can survive such a leader.

BTW: The Atlanta radio guys loved MBob. When I heard him on the radio, they raved about how he handled the interviews and answered questions. I however never learned anything from his answers. It was all circular speech with lots of keywords that didn't actually say anything concrete.

Animal02

Banned
When I was on a vacation tour in Turkey several years ago, the NBA playoffs were going on, and several men in our group were talking about them. Our very friendly guide asked me who I was pulling for, and I told him that I was only interested in college basketball, and he asked which school. When I told him I was a Georgia Tech fan, his immediate response was, "oh, the Yellow Jackets." He said he and his dad had been able to view several college (and thus) Tech games when Cremins was coach, and he had become very fond of us. So we are known as the Yellow Jackets outside the SE US.
On a side note, I told him that Tech's number one rival in sports was the University of Georgia. His response to that was, "I've never heard of them." LOL
My GT logo shirt has been recognized all over the world

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Tech itself notes that navy is among the original colors from the 1890s, so Navy appears to predate Stansbury: https://www.news.gatech.edu/2018/04/23/georgia-tech-athletics-unveils-comprehensive-brand-refinement

I don't understand why people, including TStan, cannot understand what was written about Tech colors in 1891, to wit, "blue is rooted in history, as the first mention of official Georgia Tech class colors came in the Atlanta Constitution in 1891 (white, blue and gold)". It clearly says that blue was a CLASS color; it doesn't say it was a SCHOOL color. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, colleges and universities all over the world had class colors, class songs, class mascots, etc. It would be interesting to see what colors the other classes had in 1891 or other years; I doubt that they were all blue. It also mentions the class ring. When I got out in 1966, my class ring was white gold (not a Tech color) with a blue stone (also at that time not a Tech color, since black was the secondary or tertiary color at that time).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

We are one of five D1 football programs that don't have the word "University" in the name of the school. You forgot Boston College. However, GT is a university going by the Webster Dictionary definition of the word, and by the school itself.

The InstAtute

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed. I’ve always thought it could be pushed as the schools nickname. We all know “The” Ohio State University and “The U.” There are a lot of schools that are referred to as tech, but there’s isn’t an “Institute.” Maybe this goes against tradition...Idk
We have a long-standing tradition of getting pissed off anytime someone refers to us as a University...