Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We are getting to the point where long coaching contracts seem silly when seemingly half of all high school seniors end up entering the portal at some point anyway. You don’t really need assurance that the coaching staff who recruits you is going to be there in 4 years when you’re more than likely going to change schools halfway through your career.

But you’re also seeing the top programs compete for the best coaches with 9 figure contracts. Just from a market standpoint, I don’t see why Chadwell or BOB would accept a 2 year contract with GT with no buyout when VT would give them 6 years and a huge buyout. It wouldn’t make any sense. You might get a local GA high school coach who dreams of a P5 gig taking that contract but I’d question whether someone like that would have the quality or experience to lead us to ACC championships.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We are getting to the point where long coaching contracts seem silly when seemingly half of all high school seniors end up entering the portal at some point anyway. You don’t really need assurance that the coaching staff who recruits you is going to be there in 4 years when you’re more than likely going to change schools halfway through your career.

But you’re also seeing the top programs compete for the best coaches with 9 figure contracts. Just from a market standpoint, I don’t see why Chadwell or BOB would accept a 2 year contract with GT with no buyout when VT would give them 6 years and a huge buyout. It wouldn’t make any sense. You might get a local GA high school coach who dreams of a P5 gig taking that contract but I’d question whether someone like that would have the quality or experience to lead us to ACC championships.
Nobody is being offered 2 year contracts, where did you get that from?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is being offered 2 year contracts, where did you get that from?
I should have quote-replied the post I was referring to but I’m on mobile and it was on the previous page. People are upset with these 6-7 year contracts and buyouts but there are always claims that it’s a bad sign of faith to let a coach’s contract lapse under 4 years and hurts their ability to recruit.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
I should have quote-replied the post I was referring to but I’m on mobile and it was on the previous page. People are upset with these 6-7 year contracts and buyouts but there are always claims that it’s a bad sign of faith to let a coach’s contract lapse under 4 years and hurts their ability to recruit.
Agreed on this.

I also think 5 is a happy medium. With 5 for TFG GT would only really be on the hook for next year vs the extra years he got with a longer deal. 5 is also not so short the a coach would be shortchanged.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Agreed on this.

I also think 5 is a happy medium. With 5 for TFG GT would only really be on the hook for next year vs the extra years he got with a longer deal. 5 is also not so short the a coach would be shortchanged.
We would have had to fire or extend him after 2019 or 2020 in that case though in order to not hamper his recruiting ability. He may have not accepted a 5 year deal to begin with.

I think 6 years is good - you get a 2 year trial period to see if they are your guy and can extend them another couple seasons at that point or buy out their remaining 4 years on the contract if they don’t have it.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
I changed my vote yesterday after the game. Not that it makes a difference, but I wasn’t keen on keeping Key because I wanted anything tied to TFG out. I have softened on that a bit because I liked the grit the team showed once Key took over. I’d like to see what Key can do with Thacker and a few assistants already on-board (Tillman and others). If we could get Choice back on staff that would be a bonus because those Texas backs were incredible yesterday. Bring in an OC that likes to play rough to match our D. It’s not impossible to see a dramatic difference on the field next year.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Three years is all it should take to get to 6 wins. (as long as we aren't playing Ole Miss every year! :mad:)

So, three years to begin, and the contract automatically resets (not extends!) to a three-year agreement ending on the date of the last regular season game.

If we go three years in a row without a bowl, the contract automatically expires on the date of the last regular season game (in time to ride the carousel).

If we go bowling every year, I'm happy letting Coach run the show for as long as he wants to run it.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Three years is all it should take to get to 6 wins. (as long as we aren't playing Ole Miss every year! :mad:)

So, three years to begin, and the contract automatically resets (not extends!) to a three-year agreement ending on the date of the last regular season game.

If we go three years in a row without a bowl, the contract automatically expires on the date of the last regular season game (in time to ride the carousel).

If we go bowling every year, I'm happy letting Coach run the show for as long as he wants to run it.

Are you talking in theory or our current position? Because we won 5 games this year and went 4-4 down the stretch. If the next coach doesn’t go bowling next year, he’s already lost me. Our conference is a joke and Key proved our talent level is not an overwhelming difference in the ACC.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw where Shaw at Stanford stepped down.

That is another opening that could impact the process.

Hope the selection process is well down the path to success / completion where second thoughts are not strong.