Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Are you talking in theory or our current position? Because we won 5 games this year and went 4-4 down the stretch. If the next coach doesn’t go bowling next year, he’s already lost me. Our conference is a joke and Key proved our talent level is not an overwhelming difference in the ACC.
You may be right. I could change that to 7 wins or an ACC Championship every third year.

The bigger points are:
  1. Four or five years guaranteed is too long, and
  2. Team performance earns more time - but not years simply added onto the end of an existing contract.
We need an out that is relatively quick if things go south. I'm tired of paying coaches not to coach.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just saw where Shaw at Stanford stepped down.

That is another opening that could impact the process.

Hope the selection process is well down the path to success / completion where second thoughts are not strong.
Davide Shaw made a ton at Stanford, so they have the money. But, I do not the think we are looking at guys who will be a target for them.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
You know for a fact he wasn't selling drugs before he came to Tech?

Who were the already known criminals that were recruited to UF under Meyer?
You know for a fact he wasn't selling drugs before he came to Tech?

Who were the already known criminals that were recruited to UF under Meyer?
Based on friends from Starrs Mill HS.

I didn’t imply someone recruited a criminal.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If you hire Fritz you’ll just be doing this again in 3-4 years when he retires. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes. But will the program be in better shape than it is now?

G5's lose good coaches to P5's. P5's lose their coaches to the Elite Eight (or Ten or Twelve).

There has to be a reason why a great coach would remain at a lower-tier school. And that's what we are for a number of systemic reasons.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. I could change that to 7 wins or an ACC Championship every third year.

The bigger points are:
  1. Four or five years guaranteed is too long, and
  2. Team performance earns more time - but not years simply added onto the end of an existing contract.
We need an out that is relatively quick if things go south. I'm tired of paying coaches not to coach.

Definitely agree on both accounts

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If you hire Fritz you’ll just be doing this again in 3-4 years when he retires. 🤷🏼‍♂️
There is probably a 70+ percent chance we are doing this again in 4 years no matter who we hire. If we are doing it because the coach retired then we are lucky. No buyout.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nice for Fritz's agent to be doing his job. (tic).

Wonder how many rumors are just that. Advertising by agents.

Wonder if this is being floated to gauge the fan base reaction. AD has someone give a "scoop" to Ken S to see what the reaction will be. Remember this? It killed TStans preferred candidate...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Based on friends from Starrs Mill HS.

I didn’t imply someone recruited a criminal.
Perhaps not intentionally. Following this comment chain back though, there was discussion about Urban Meyer as a possible HC, and someone said they didn't want any coach with questionable morals. The response to that was that GOL lied on his resume, which then received the response that he didn't recruit criminals. I pointed out Reuben Houston, and you said he wasn't a criminal when recruited. To me at least, that sounds like you are implying that Reuben Houston is different from the guys recruited by Urban Meyer, that some of them were already criminals before they came to UF.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I am hearing that Chadwell has dropped out. Not sure if that was his call or ours. Fritz is emerging with O'Brien and Key still in the mix.
If we hire one of these goobers with Deion, urban, Mullen etc. sitting out there available I just might be done forever. I guess I could live with a key budget hire but not the other two.

slugboy

Staff member
If we hire one of these goobers with Deion, urban, Mullen etc. sitting out there available I just might be done forever. I guess I could live with a key budget hire but not the other two.
I haven’t heard Urban Meyer linked to any college or pro job. Deion has been thoroughly discussed here. Mullen seems to be happy flying up to ESPN once a week.