Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
We did worse against Clemson under Collins than last year despite Clemson ending up a worse team. We did better against UGA under Key and they don't seem any worse than last year.

At the time I thought the first two and a half quarters against Clemson were a potential sign of improvement, but then... they weren't.

I don't know if Key raises the ceiling to the level we want, but I think he dramatically raises the floor and there aren't a lot of "can't miss" alternative candidates this year. I'd still prefer Chadwell but I'm also fine, if we don't think he's the guy for whatever reason, with giving Key a shot. Worst case I think we'd be in much better shape both financially and roster-wise in a couple of years to roll the dice again. I would be mad at a 7 year deal for Key, but would be ok with a "show me" deal for a few years at a reasonable price and good $$ for assistants to see what he can do with an offseason and recruiting class or two to clean up Collins' mess.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I dropped this into the head coach list thread too... Interested in the feedback from Chadwell supporters. (Note, I will support any head coach that we bring)

With the Coastal Carolina #1QB being out of the game today, and them being toasted by JMU, does that mean the offense is really predicated on the quarterback?
Aren't they all?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not feeling hope against Clemson is more on you than the game itself. We had very little chance of winning either game at any point due to our offenses inability to score points. But against Clemson we came out at the half, held them to three and out, then scored a TD to pull it to within 4. Held them to a FG to give us a drive with a chance to tie. Against UGA we came out of the half, gave up a FG, went 3 out, screwed up the punt giving them a short field for a TD, then fumbled the next play to give them a short field for a FG. Personally I didn't have much hope of winning either game, but I don't really see how you actually thought we'd beat UGA if you thought we had no chance against Clemson when we were just in a pretty clearly better position midway through the third.

Your opinion differs from mine. My opinion is that Key has fundamentally changed the tenor of this team. They play harder for him and his staff makes fewer blunders on the sidelines.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Your opinion differs from mine. My opinion is that Key has fundamentally changed the tenor of this team. They play harder for him and his staff makes fewer blunders on the sidelines.
And I'm attributing that to a fundamental change in the way the team practices during the week (according to knowledgeable sources posting on this board).

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
And I'm attributing that to a fundamental change in the way the team practices during the week (according to knowledgeable sources posting on this board).
This is what gives me the most hope. With a whole offseason of effective practices, imagine how much more we could improve. I just hope we don't waste it by drastically changing schemes (offense, defense, or special teams). Just one offseason of effective grooving of what we do well and getting the kids ready to play tough football.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know if Key raises the ceiling to the level we want, but I think he dramatically raises the floor and there aren't a lot of "can't miss" alternative candidates this year. I'd still prefer Chadwell but I'm also fine, if we don't think he's the guy for whatever reason, with giving Key a shot.

There is no such thing as a "can't miss" prospect. Every school, including the factories, miss on this process. With that being said, we have a guy who was given the job under very difficult circumstances, playing his 3rd and 4th string QB (which the importance of a QB was discussed just a few posts above mine) and we have seen with our own two eyes what he has done with a heretofore unprepared, undisciplined and sloppy FB team. I get that the outside candidates always seem sexier tp some? most? but I think this AD would be foolish to throw out the baby with the bath water.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I dropped this into the head coach list thread too... Interested in the feedback from Chadwell supporters. (Note, I will support any head coach that we bring)

With the Coastal Carolina #1QB being out of the game today, and them being toasted by JMU, does that mean the offense is really predicated on the quarterback?

View attachment 13625

Is the ToP a typo? If not, JMU got almost 3 times the yards in half the time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Must be typo, CBS shows almost even split in ToP. Yardage remaining the same.

Screenshot_20221126-222226.png

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
Fridge was the highest paid assistant in the country when he was our OC. In 2021, both of Clemson's coordinators made over $2 million per year. In 2020, all 10 GT assistant coaches combined made ~$3.2 million.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Fridge was the highest paid assistant in the country when he was our OC. In 2021, both of Clemson's coordinators made over $2 million per year. In 2020, all 10 GT assistant coaches combined made ~$3.2 million.
Maybe that’s the plan. Hire Key for an incentive laden contract and spread the rest to the staff. A $2 to $3 million contract should leave money on the table for some good coordinators.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have been on the fence with this for a while, but I believe Batt almost has to name Key as the head coach. The turnaround has been profound when you compare the state of the program when Key took over and the way the season ended. uGA is the better team and the results demonstrated that, but Key had the team ready to play. A few calls that went their way as opposed to ours and a couple of dropped balls that could have been caught and we are in that game with a chance to win. Back in September no one could have hoped for that.

slugboy

Staff member
I have been on the fence with this for a while, but I believe Batt almost has to name Key as the head coach. The turnaround has been profound when you compare the state of the program when Key took over and the way the season ended. uGA is the better team and the results demonstrated that, but Key had the team ready to play. A few calls that went their way as opposed to ours and a couple of dropped balls that could have been caught and we are in that game with a chance to win. Back in September no one could have hoped for that.

If I were in Batt’s shoes (and Cabrera’s), my first question would be “what do we want our athletic programs to look like in 5 years?” (maybe 7 or 10 for long-haul). Then, I would think backwards through everything that would need to happen to get there—fundraising, apparel sales, attendance, etc. Then, I’d ask what would the football program look like to help us get there. What would it take to get Key there? I’d ask the same for basketball.
Is Key or one of the other candidates there in Plan A? Does Plan A work with them? What about Plan B if Plan A falls through?
He needs to have various pivot points over the next few seasons to change course.

On a different note, Clemson losing two games this season really hurt us and the conference. We need several top-tier teams in conference, and right now we have none. FSU is getting better, and Miami is floundering. Batt’s plans also have to think about our surrounding environment.

TL;DR: Decide where you’re going as a program first. Hire based off of THAT decision.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
In the FWIW Department:

FTRS is all in on JChadwell.

For whatever that's worth. :)
They're dorks who geek out over stats and don't understand what it actually takes to win football games. Every single article I've ever bothered to read from them draws incorrect conclusions from the data that's being analyzed and can easily be undone by anyone who has any sense of skepticism and knowledge of statistics. Absolute waste of time reading anything they post.