Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't see it as throwing in the towel at all. Chadwell wins. He hasn't always won with the current offense. But he does adjust his coaching to match the situation. I'm quite sure that if he could attract top talent like the Cesspool attracts flies, then he'd run an offense similar to UGA's. To me, that's not a 'gimmick.' That's being a good coach that figures out how to win no matter what.

Substance over style. Sign me up. (That being said, I'd prefer Key at this point. Today. Who knows tomorrow? ;)
I think this was true of CPJ too but narratives hurt recruiting, on top of our own money and academic issues that also limited us then. I don’t see any way we avoid that narrative with chadwell

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry to say it, but hiring Chadwell is throwing in the towel.

It is a give-up move made to placate nostalgic old farts who believe that "something special" is the only way to win at Tech. It's a cop out.
Huh? Hiring an up-and-coming young coach with fresh offensive ideas is "throwing in the towel"? I thought the old money guys were eager to go to a more conventional pro-style offense and to get away from the "high school offense" mindset of the past.

Do we even know what we're talking about any more? Or have we argued ourselves in circles to the point that we no longer no what's what?

Look...I think we have two excellent candidates either of whom can improve our team dramatically in short order. It's the possibility that a third candidate gets hired that concerns me - because I don't have enough information about the unknown to feel comfortable.

If it's not Chadwell, it's gotta be Key. If it's Key, I'm totally okay with that. Either way, just win, dammit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think this was true of CPJ too but narratives hurt recruiting, on top of our own money and academic issues that also limited us then. I don’t see any way we avoid that narrative with chadwell

The difference will be Chadwell can point to the statistical standings and show recruits passing rankings. Right now, Coastal Carolina would rank #7 in the SEC in total passing. Ahead of even the vaunted Lane Kiffin offense at Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Florida, Kentucky. In the ACC, the Coastal offense would rank #6 ahead of teams like Clemson, Pitt, NC State, Syracuse...all offenses known for their wide open passing attacks.

CPJ would always be dead last.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Huh? Hiring an up-and-coming young coach with fresh offensive ideas is "throwing in the towel"? I thought the old money guys were eager to go to a more conventional pro-style offense and to get away from the "high school offense" mindset of the past.

Do we even know what we're talking about any more? Or have we argued ourselves in circles to the point that we no longer no what's what?

Look...I think we have two excellent candidates either of whom can improve our team dramatically in short order. It's the possibility that a third candidate gets hired that concerns me - because I don't have enough information about the unknown to feel comfortable.

If it's not Chadwell, it's gotta be Key. If it's Key, I'm totally okay with that. Either way, just win, dammit.

doesn't matter who it is, I'll be in. and, I'll probably get wrapped on the knuckles here for telling folks who hate to lay off, like I've done in the past.

once they're our guys, they're our guys - coaches and players.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The difference will be Chadwell can point to the statistical standings and show recruits passing rankings. Right now, Coastal Carolina would rank #7 in the SEC in total passing. Ahead of even the vaunted Lane Kiffin offense at Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Florida, Kentucky. In the ACC, the Coastal offense would rank #6 ahead of teams like Clemson, Pitt, NC State, Syracuse...all offenses known for their wide open passing attacks. CPJ would always be dead last.
All true.

But you know what? I still like the idea that we could beat other teams without throwing/completing a single pass. Leading the nation in rushing yards. I mean, damn that was something to watch.

Not advocating that for today...but it was impressive. Good times.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
It's throwing in the towel to hire a guy that's had double digit win totals 5 of his last 10 seasons, across 3 different schools, and is about to have a 6th? That makes literally no sense.
I don’t feel like it’s throwing in the towel, but it’s imo high risk to assume Chadwell’s prior success will translate to P5 and at a unique academic school like GT. Chadwell has been recruiting anyone he wants - 800 SAT/2.5 h.s. gpa, no problem. That will end quickly at GT. My kid is friends with a really smart player (solid grades at competitive h.s., good scores) who made like 11 on his first math test.

But if we hire Chadwell, I’ll cheer and support the team, hope for the best. My opinion is that we are one more failed moon shot, another stupid contract, repeat of the GC debacle, from having to rethink football.

Key is a safer choice to stabilize, work on repairing the balance sheet, and I think he could quickly make us relevant in the ACC.

Glad it’s not my decision, tough choice. No point in telling me I’m risk adverse - my career was mostly doing startups which worked out with me retiring at 50, I know all about risk.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CCU is ranked 39th in passing offense. They have a QB who is projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the draft. This is nonsense.

If McCall gets drafted high, that would be THE best recruiting weapon Chadwell can have. Kids want to play in the NFL, and they want to play for programs that prepare them for the NFL. People who say getting our SAs drafted isn't important miss the big picture: Getting kids drafted helps you a LOT in recruiting.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don’t feel like it’s throwing in the towel, but it’s imo high risk to assume Chadwell’s prior success will translate to P5 and at a unique academic school like GT. Chadwell has been recruiting anyone he wants - 800 SAT/2.5 h.s. gpa, no problem. That will end quickly at GT. My kid is friends with a really smart player (solid grades at competitive h.s., good scores) who made like 11 on his first math test.

But if we hire Chadwell, I’ll cheer and support the team, hope for the best. My opinion is that we are one more failed moon shot, another stupid contract, repeat of the GC debacle, from having to rethink football.

Key is a safer choice to stabilize, work on repairing the balance sheet, and I think he could quickly make us relevant in the ACC.

Glad it’s not my decision, tough choice. No point in telling me I’m risk adverse - my career was mostly doing startups which worked out with me retiring at 50, I know all about risk.
I assume you are talking about at Tech on the bolded? If so, that's not really surprising - the first Calc 2 test I took at Tech I think I got a 19/100, and the class average was a 12/100.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I assume you are talking about at Tech on the bolded? If so, that's not really surprising - the first Calc 2 test I took at Tech I think I got a 19/100, and the class average was a 12/100.
Sorry, but if the class as a whole does THAT badly, that's on the teacher who has failed to do his or her job educating the students.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CCU has a good offense, of that I am certain. But, they are not playing in the big leagues and the talent level of their opponents is not on a par with the P5 programs. Sure, they will occasional beat a P5 team, but they are below that level overall.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I agree with a whole lot of this.
I think Chadwell would be a good hire.... that still doesn't mean he is the right hire.
I think Key would be a safe hire... I don't think that makes him the wrong hire.
There are a few others that get characterized as "unexciting" but they are proven, workmanlike hires that make a lot of sense. There are no guarantees, but I agree that we can't take another moonshot...
I agree that Key probably fits the bill as well as anyone right now. He has been around the game a long time in a lot of successful programs. He hasn't had HC experience, but he is clearly on that trajectory. The small sample size we have seen here seems to be starting well. If you're hiring an "upandcoming" guy, I don't see a better fit anywhere. If we can get a proven successful HC, its hard to argue against that either.
We are essentially a "start up" right now!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Brent Key is a football coach. He should be our football coach next year-too. His game day sideline behavior is steady, calm and pensive. It reminds me some of Bill Belichick. Early on in a press conference, he mentioned closing the gap between practice and game day intensity. A simple fix requiring a change in practice pattern. While simple, I think it was a catalytic event setting the stage for a cultural shift. After the loss to Miami, in a moment of frustration during the post game press conference, he said…………as he raised his hands over his head “this is what culture means”…”and it’s not.“ He stopped there. We all knew what he meant. Finally, the 90 second side line interview after the North Carolina victory gave me goose bumps. That sheepish grin then the response was pure raw emotion and pure gold. Brent Key knows what culture means—simply the way we do business around here. His business is process leading to victory. I’m a sidewalk fan who lacks the analytical prowess of many on this board, so I apologize for my non-analytic take on this. If we pass on this, we may rue the day as the Cleveland Browns did when they fired Belichick. This is what my gut is telling me, anyway.
I agree wholeheartedly. Brent Key knows what it truly means to love your players. It doesn’t mean that you coddle them and kiss their boo-boos. It means that you set them up for success, even if sometimes they don’t appreciate it in the short term. It means that you don’t let them leave practice without knowing what they need to do to improve. It means that you ensure that regardless of the score, your players have put in a performance that they can take pride in, that they have not embarrassed themselves in the way they have played. It means that you develop young men whom their peers are honored to have worked with.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it took us all awhile to rethink our standards of success. Prior to GT, all of us had never experienced a 19 on a test (unless it was a 20 point test). But after awhile, we learned that any score above the mean, no matter the mean, was viewed as success. It was like March Madness, survive and advance!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but if the class as a whole does THAT badly, that's on the teacher who has failed to do his or her job educating the students.
I agree with this completely... and yet it seems like everyone I know has at least one story like this. :unsure:

slugboy

Staff member
CCU has a good offense, of that I am certain. But, they are not playing in the big leagues and the talent level of their opponents is not on a par with the P5 programs. Sure, they will occasional beat a P5 team, but they are below that level overall.

This year, they’re right in the middle. There are a good number of P5 teams below them. Another question is “if you trade our coaching staff for their coaching staff, how do they do HERE?”

I think it took us all awhile to rethink our standards of success. Prior to GT, all of us had never experienced a 19 on a test (unless it was a 20 point test). But after awhile, we learned that any score above the mean, no matter the mean, was viewed as success. It was like March Madness, survive and advance!
Yeah, they don’t do that as much any more. It might happen, but they’re more concerned whether you learn the material these days