Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This is my issue with Key. He SHOULD have quit and then told the GT fanbase why. He sat there for 3 plus years and watched his school get destroyed by 1 man, Whether or not he gets the job he owes us an explanation about what happened, I just don’t understand why it is so hard to simply give your opinion. All Key has to say is “the previous coach didn’t have a clue and he ran ineffective practices which led to losses on game day”. A statement like that would put it to rest. But this code of silence leads me to want a clean break from anyone associated with Collins.
This is my issue with Key. He SHOULD have quit and then told the GT fanbase why. He sat there for 3 plus years and watched his school get destroyed by 1 man, Whether or not he gets the job he owes us an explanation about what happened, I just don’t understand why it is so hard to simply give your opinion. All Key has to say is “the previous coach didn’t have a clue and he ran ineffective practices which led to losses on game day”. A statement like that would put it to rest. But this code of silence leads me to want a clean break from anyone associated with Collins.
You're still dying on that hill I see. We know. You've been complaining in every thread about your personal grudge. Give it a rest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't take offense to anything you said. I just wanted to share a little bit on Zach's exposure, or lack of, during the recruitment process for him. And honestly after going through the process that he did, I am very grateful he wasn't a TL or JF. I cannot even imagine the amount of frustration their parents felt during their process. It's so cut throat and at times, unethical it's sad.

More than anything I just wanted people to see Zach is at GT for a very specific reason. He knew what he was looking for in a school and GT checked a lot of those boxes. He's won a lot of football games in HS and was fortunate to play on some really good teams. I think he's excited, and super motivated, to come in and help GT become become a championship caliber team.
Looking forward to having him back. I could tell from game one he played in that he is super motivated and has the fight in him that’s necessary to win games. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Both my sons are Tech alum. They played football at a small Georgia high school and both had the opportunity to play at the next level but their top priority was an education from Georgia Tech. I think Zach made the best decision for his future and we are blessed to have him.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Any suggestions who you think Key would want to bring in instead?

Here's another issue - wasn't Long a Key recommendation? If we don't like who Key recommended enough to give him a 2nd year and a chance, isn't that somewhat of an indictment on Key? Do we trust Key's decision making on hiring coaches? Stansbury was basically just fired because we couldn't trust him to make the right hiring decision despite being a Tech man and former player.

IIRC, What was rumored at the time was Key's reputation and word was instrumental in getting Long to accept our crappy job. Long was mostly seen as a good hire, given the situation. What established, proven, OC would want to step in to a staff that's on the hottest of hot seats?

Long might not have had the best resume. But it was better than the previous guy. And better than we should have expected. Heck, A lot of people had him pegged as the coach in waiting for when Collins got fired. Nobody* foresaw that the offense would be, arguably, worse this year under Long.

It seems like, as talk of Key as the permanent head coach has heated up, a narrative has developed that the OC hire was somehow Key's choice. And also, by some implication, that we had a whole lot of options of who to hire; not that we were limited by money and offering a warm seat on a smoldering dumpster fire. The second year/buyout was also related to getting him to take the job with the likelihood of being fired with the rest of the staff, not just because Key liked him so much.

I definitely think that questions about staff are important for ADJB to ask of any potential hire. If Key is a believer in Long and wants to keep him, then that's a forward looking issue. But criticizing Key looking backwards because Collins didn't hire a better OC doesn't seem reasonable.

(*There's always at least one smarta** though.)

JacketFan137

Banned
IIRC, What was rumored at the time was Key's reputation and word was instrumental in getting Long to accept our crappy job. Long was mostly seen as a good hire, given the situation. What established, proven, OC would want to step in to a staff that's on the hottest of hot seats?

Long might not have had the best resume. But it was better than the previous guy. And better than we should have expected. Heck, A lot of people had him pegged as the coach in waiting for when Collins got fired. Nobody* foresaw that the offense would be, arguably, worse this year under Long.

It seems like, as talk of Key as the permanent head coach has heated up, a narrative has developed that the OC hire was somehow Key's choice. And also, by some implication, that we had a whole lot of options of who to hire; not that we were limited by money and offering a warm seat on a smoldering dumpster fire. The second year/buyout was also related to getting him to take the job with the likelihood of being fired with the rest of the staff, not just because Key liked him so much.

I definitely think that questions about staff are important for ADJB to ask of any potential hire. If Key is a believer in Long and wants to keep him, then that's a forward looking issue. But criticizing Key looking backwards because Collins didn't hire a better OC doesn't seem reasonable.

(*There's always at least one smarta** though.)
we could fire chip long yesterday and i wouldn’t bat an eye but it has to be an uphill battle when you have a line as porous as ours has been

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Long is making what 850k a year, What’s stopping him in offseason from spending 60 hours a week watching and learning Chadwell’s offense and how to implement for spring practice?

slugboy

Staff member
Long is making what 850k a year, What’s stopping him in offseason from spending 60 hours a week watching and learning Chadwell’s offense and how to implement for spring practice?
blinking jonah hill GIF

There’s such a difference between two OCs with the same playbook, that it’s hard to describe. That’s a little like saying “how hard is it to pick up playing the violin in the off season “?
Plus, he’s already working full time in the off season

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
What are you implying lol are you saying we would keep Key and Long to run Chadwell's offense? Or are you saying we would hire Chadwell but keep Long as OC? Either way this is ludicrous

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I can buy the same paint set as Michelangelo, I can promise you I would not get the same results on canvas.