Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m coming around on a O’Brien (or similar). Not opposed to Chadwell, but there’s a lot of work to do across the board right now and he has seen how things work at the very top end of successful D1 programs.

Combine that with a ceiling that also appears quite high, and I like it. Deion could similarly be a foundation-builder with quality recruiting, but there’s less track record. Chadwell just seems to have a higher risk of not leaving as much behind for the next guy, and my biggest complaint about hiring Collins is that there seemed to be no long term vision around “what if it doesn’t work” - everything about the contract and then how the first three years of it were handled suggests success was just blindly hoped for.

So who gives you teams good enough to rebuild some enthusiasm AND leaves the next guy good things to work with?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Dan Mullen isn’t as sexy as a hire it would have been a few years ago, but I actually think that could be a sneaky solid hire and he may be a better fit here than some think. There won’t be as much recruiting pressure here as there was at Florida, which was the main reason he was let go. He’s a great offensive mind, still known and considered a “QB whisperer” and respected as a game day coach. I don’t think this hire would necessarily be a “home run”, but I think this would be a pretty safe, solid hire if some of the bigger names aren’t interested.
I think Mullen might qualify as a bigger name for us. I'd be good with him.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm the opposite. I see Chadwell making a difference right away because of his scheme.
It’s not the opposite when we agree on the same thing. My post was saying Chadwell is a long-term solution even if he were to be super successful in year 1,2,3. I believe he will good and good fast at Tech as you do. My post was saying that if Mullen was good fast, he would be more inclined to leave for greener pastures IMHO.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's be honest, we would be lucky to get any good coach who wants to come here with the shape our program is now.

I disagree. There are a lot of good coaches who want to coach here. There is also plenty of bad coaches that want this job as well. The money has made these jobs similar to a lottery ticket - get one and you are set for life. So, unlike your local Krogers or Burger King or gasket factory, there will not be an unfilled position at the end of the year. The real issue is how does anyone separate the pretenders from the contenders? The ugly answer is that NO ONE has figured that out. This is why the people with deep pockets (Nebraska, TN, Auburn, Texas, etc.) change coaches frequently. It comes down to luck as far as I am concerned. Somehow you get a 4 leaf clover in an unproven young guy (Cremins) or fate delivers a no-brainer to your door step (Ross). The rest of the time we (and everyone else) might as well use an Ouija board from what I can tell.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We've talked about JBatt reaching out to coaches who may be interested. But it's also true that coaches will be reaching out to him.

Indirectly and discreetly (through agents even), but feelers and expressions of interest are being extended in both directions.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. There are a lot of good coaches who want to coach here. There is also plenty of bad coaches that want this job as well.
Name one good P5 Head coach that would want to come here. Not sure you could find one good OC or DC would want to come here. Yes there are plenty bad P5 coach that may or a few from small schools that may. But I don't see the good ones like Chadwell od Sanders wanting to come here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He’s out of practice. We need someone who has still been in the grind yearly. Like Ted Roof

I think Chan Gailey could walk in tomorrow and get us back to a bowl game next year. I don't think this program is in as bad of shape as the last 3+ years has looked. It was just the wrong coach who was worried more about the off field product than the on the field product. I think Key could get us to 6 wins next season.

The question is what are the expectations fans have of this program? Are we fine with 6-8 win seasons and regular bowl games, or do we want this program to take the next step? In Cabrera's words, (paraphrasing) "GT sports should be on the same level as GT academics". If GT the school makes a sincere investment into GTAA with more resources, why not shoot higher? Let's go get us a proven coach that can get us in the top 4 of the ACC, and have us knocking on 9-11 win seasons. Let's get us a Dan Mullen/Tom Herman/Jamey Chadwell/etc.

We're probably a couple of weeks from finding out who our next coach is. I think the investment in the new HFC and his staff will tell us if Cabrera was sincere with those words or just paying lip service.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think Chan Gailey could walk in tomorrow and get us back to a bowl game next year. I don't think this program is in as bad of shape as the last 3+ years has looked. It was just the wrong coach who was worried more about the off field product than the on the field product. I think Key could get us to 6 wins next season.

The question is what are the expectations fans have of this program? Are we fine with 6-8 win seasons and regular bowl games, or do we want this program to take the next step? In Cabrera's words, (paraphrasing) "GT sports should be on the same level as GT academics". If GT the school makes a sincere investment into GTAA with more resources, why not shoot higher? Let's go get us a proven coach that can get us in the top 4 of the ACC, and have us knocking on 9-11 win seasons. Let's get us a Dan Mullen/Tom Herman/Jamey Chadwell/etc.

We're probably a couple of weeks from finding out who our next coach is. I think the investment in the new HFC and his staff will tell us if Cabrera was sincere with those words or just paying lip service.
if we hire the 9th highest paid coach in the acc like we did with collins i will be so let down by cabrera. if he really wants to act like what he’s saying we better spend the money to hire a good coach and staff and not settling for below market

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
if we hire the 9th highest paid coach in the acc like we did with collins i will be so let down by cabrera. if he really wants to act like what he’s saying we better spend the money to hire a good coach and staff and not settling for below market.

Hol' on, lemme check ....

lying tv land GIF by #Impastor

Just as i thought. No lies detected.

We either gotta get in the proverbial game or stop pretending like we're in the proverbial game.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
if we hire the 9th highest paid coach in the acc like we did with collins i will be so let down by cabrera. if he really wants to act like what he’s saying we better spend the money to hire a good coach and staff and not settling for below market
Why is how much the head coach gets paid so important to you? That is not a valid measuring stick for anything, and it has been proven so repeatedly.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why is how much the head coach gets paid so important to you? That is not a valid measuring stick for anything, and it has been proven so repeatedly.
Absolutely true, but in his defense, he mentioned the staff as well. The less we pay the HC, the more we can afford to pay his coordinators and assistants. So, unless the GTAA has discovered a money tree, the HC's salary has to be some consideration. It wouldn't be a good idea to blow the budget on a Rolls Royce HC and have only enough left to fill out his staff with used Plymouths.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Jimbo Fisher is probably available for $10M. He might even take a pay cut.