Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t clarify it. I wrote it. Just like wrote it previously. Gruden couldn’t care less about Tech. He’s not a candidate.
That's not what I said. I said it does not follow that because Gruden isn't interested, neither is Tech. That's what I wrote.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell had a magic season during Covid, does that really count? Didn't make the conference title game last year. That's dominant to you?

Deion actually had more 4 stars than tech in 2021. Deion outrecruited Chadwell in 2021 at an HBCU which is nuts. in 2022 Deion got more 5 stars than tech and more 4 stars than Chadwell. His average player rating was also higher than tech's and coastal's in 2021 and 2022 which is nuts.

You keep talking about "regular basis", what is that?
Saying it twice does not make it any more accurate.

slugboy

Staff member
I am O'Leary of Chadwell...haha... I hope J Batt is working the phones to hear what our competitors think of our roster, and schemes.

Their opinion was in Athlon before the season. They thought we should have done what BC did (and it sounded pretty smart). BC is actually in the basement of the ACC right now.

I didn’t hear much positive about Duke’s hire, and he’s having a really good first year.

What other coaches or reporters think doesn’t seem to turn out all that well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gotta be Chadwell.

I hope so, though I fear he's not high on Batt's list for reasons I listed in another thread.

IMO, Chadwell's offense will be FUN to watch. CPJ's offense (minus the steady stream of BB dives), with a modern day passing game. Chadwell is on record saying he will change up his offense to keep ahead of the defense so he's not married to the idea of "my way or the highway" like CPJ was.

I've always said anyone who married CPJ's offense with the Air Raid will rule the football world. This is as close to that as I've seen. That 4 verticals pass concept off the option (play posted in another thread) is absolutely BEAUTIFUL to watch. You know how stressed out a defense would be having to defend that?! GT can have that on the Flats...we just need to have the courage to reach out and get it.

IMO, I'm not sure the bigger programs that have an opening want to be the one to run the Chadwell to P5 experiment.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
look smart one. you seem to think that I'm saying we only need players. We ALSO need competent coaching. That's an obvious given. WTF.

All these guys on the list are at least competent, so we need the guy that will get the best players. Is it that hard to understand?

If you think Chadwell is a good recruiter, he hasn't shown that in the Sun Belt (typically 3rd ranked classes).

If you think Chadwell's offense is good enough to overcome his so-so recruiting, well your guess is as good as mine. We had one of those guys (CPJ) and the results were so-so. Do you really want to hire on a guess?
Tell me you don’t know GT history without telling me you don’t know GT history.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I do like Chadwell's offense. HOWEVER, we've been here before with option offenses. Superior athletes (like UGA, Clemson, etc.) that play just a modicum of assignment football will stop this offense. It might work well in the Sun Belt where talent is somewhat equally distributed.
UGA just held the number one ranked team to six points.

Good defenses can stop all offenses, not just the ones centered around option. Anyone discarding Chadwell for this reason alone is misguided.

Last edited:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA just held the number one ranked team to six points.

Good defenses can stop all offenses, not just the ones centered around option. Anyone discarding Chadwell for this reason alone is misguided.

Stop talking like an educated fan - it ruins narratives.

While we're at it, Alabama shut out the vaunted Mike "Fat Little Girlfriends" Leach's vaunted Air Raid offense until they gave up a garbage TD in the last minute.

Deleted member 6494

I think BOB might be the only coach on that list who might make me think about giving up my season tickets.
I am curious as to your reason for your statement on BOB. Do you have some inside information? My curiosity stems from my own inside information gained by accident from the years of O'Leary's departure and hiring of Chan Gailey.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
With Key, you're probably right. With BOB, that's way off base.

BOB's time at GT is about 99% irrelevant as to why he is qualified as a candidate. Basically everything he has done elsewhere is why he is qualified. There is both a GT familiarity and a Batt familiarity, but neither is the among the top reasons for our interest. Frankly, the only reason the connection to GT may be relevant is because that may be a reason BOB considers us. I think he will have options.
BOB wouldn’t be my choice but I can agree with what you’re saying. You are right that is ties to the school are small, but with that being said a lot of the comments mentioning him, add that to why they are mentioning him. That’s why I added him to it. If he’s the best candidate then yes, offer him the job.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Chadwell, I keep seeing disses about his recruiting.

I thought that particular chestnut had been put to rest by the last 4 years. I think a winning program at Tech could average in the low 30s - high 20s in recruiting "rankings" over, say, a 10 year period; about the same as Wisconsin, iow. And Tech could win steadily and occasionally big with that kind of recruiting. Provided it is coupled with a coach who knows why he recruited the players. Collins's biggest fault, imho, was that he tended to recruit players with high recruiting rankings without a clear idea of how they would be used. His staff had (and has) the same problem. What we need is a coach who a) has a clear idea of what kind of player he wants and why and b) can live within the Tech environment. That probably will not mean top 20 recruiting classes every year. (Shoot, it may be awhile before we see another year like that.) What it would mean is that once we got players on campus we would be sure that a) the coaches knew what to do with them and the players had a clear idea of their role and b) they would be players we could keep in school for their career.

I don't know the coach who can do that will be. I think Chadwell would fit the bill, if he is willing to come to Tech, but so would several others. We'll know soon enough.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It's not always so much luck as it is timing. Sometimes the stars are in alignment for right place at the right time. Guess one could call that luck.
I tend to agree. Opportunity meets preparation or something like that. I don’t believe too much in coincidence either.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
While this hire is huge, I hope J Batt aligns our athletic department more like Alabama top to bottom. Everyone on the same page and not settling for mediocrity.