Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The basics of the option offenses ARE the same. Formations change, but the concepts are the same. Nobody is inventing anything that hasn't been done before.

2014? That's one season. Let me know how the 4 years before and the 4 years after went.

Chadwell is not dominating the Sun Belt. He won one co-championship during the effed up covid year when they cancelled the title game. Meanwhile Deion is ABSOLUTELY dominating his conference because of TALENT and competent coaching.

And yes, Gruden (QB guru) and Deion (got a 5 star at Jackson State) will bring in some 5 stars.
Sigh....

The Fridge ran an option offense. There are plenty of NFL teams that include lots of option plays in their offense. Lumping them all together with CPJs offense makes zero sense regardless if the basics are the same or not. Saying we could not recruit under CPJ has no bearing on whether we can or will recruit with Chadwell.

The point is that when you have the players to run an elite offense ike CPJ or Chadwell, it does not matter that the other team has better athletes or higher recruiting rankings. You do not get to exclude that one year because it disproves your point.

Chadwell is 30-4 over the past two plus years. That is dominating. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Deion got one five star recruit to come to JSU. Could he or Gruden or McGee get a couple? Maybe. But i never said we would never get any. I said there is no chance we will pulling 5 stars on a regular basis regardless of who is coaching here

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Because he is being linked to the USF job and is interested in CFB. And GT is a much better job that USF. Issue is that he has a home in Tampa so USF is a better fit personally. If you don't know he's been a guru for 5 star QB HS prospects, google is your friend.
I think we should aim a bit higher than "whoever USF wants". He hasn't had a good season in well over a decade and is 3 decades removed from a college coaching career that topped off at tight ends coach at the University of the Pacific. There is zero evidence that he is able to recruit, that he has high school contacts, that he can put together a good college coaching staff. It'll be Herm Edwards at Arizona State all over again. This is an atrocious idea that doesn't merit further discussion.

And that's before we get into why he was fired. You think a coach that was fired for racist and homophobic remarks will be a culture fit in Atlanta, of all places?

stigs02jrt

Banned
I think we should aim a bit higher than "whoever USF wants". He hasn't had a good season in well over a decade and is 3 decades removed from a college coaching career that topped off at tight ends coach at the University of the Pacific. There is zero evidence that he is able to recruit, that he has high school contacts, that he can put together a good college coaching staff. It'll be Herm Edwards at Arizona State all over again. This is an atrocious idea that doesn't merit further discussion.

And that's before we get into why he was fired. You think a coach that was fired for racist and homophobic remarks will be a culture fit in Atlanta, of all places?
aim higher? guy won a super bowl. Meanwhile half of these folks are looking at a coastal carolina coach :ROFLMAO:

If you don't like his email from 10 years ago, I get it. But 5 star HS QBs sought him out for training. They'll line up to play for him.

stigs02jrt

Banned
Sigh....

The Fridge ran an option offense. There are plenty of NFL teams that include lots of option plays in their offense. Lumping them all together with CPJs offense makes zero sense regardless if the basics are the same or not. Saying we could not recruit under CPJ has no bearing on whether we can or will recruit with Chadwell.

The point is that when you have the players to run an elite offense ike CPJ or Chadwell, it does not matter that the other team has better athletes or higher recruiting rankings. You do not get to exclude that one year because it disproves your point.

Chadwell is 30-4 over the past two plus years. That is dominating. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Deion got one five star recruit to come to JSU. Could he or Gruden or McGee get a couple? Maybe. But i never said we would never get any. I said there is no chance we will pulling 5 stars on a regular basis regardless of who is coaching here

Chadwell had a magic season during Covid, does that really count? Didn't make the conference title game last year. That's dominant to you?

Deion actually had more 4 stars than tech in 2021. Deion outrecruited Chadwell in 2021 at an HBCU which is nuts. in 2022 Deion got more 5 stars than tech and more 4 stars than Chadwell. His average player rating was also higher than tech's and coastal's in 2021 and 2022 which is nuts.

You keep talking about "regular basis", what is that?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
look smart one. you seem to think that I'm saying we only need players. We ALSO need competent coaching. That's an obvious given. WTF.

All these guys on the list are at least competent, so we need the guy that will get the best players. Is it that hard to understand?

If you think Chadwell is a good recruiter, he hasn't shown that in the Sun Belt (typically 3rd ranked classes).

If you think Chadwell's offense is good enough to overcome his so-so recruiting, well your guess is as good as mine. We had one of those guys (CPJ) and the results were so-so. Do you really want to hire on a guess?
If CPJ was so-so, then sign me up for more of that please!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
aim higher? guy won a super bowl. Meanwhile half of these folks are looking at a coastal carolina coach :ROFLMAO:

If you don't like his email from 10 years ago, I get it. But 5 star HS QBs sought him out for training. They'll line up to play for him.
Is there not a racist stigma with Gruden now? How do you think that would play in recruiting?

stigs02jrt

Banned
Is there not a racist stigma with Gruden now? How do you think that would play in recruiting?
People have come back from worse. He's apologized, been punished by losing his job. Maybe some folks will never forgive him... I'm just saying if I was AD, I'd take a look. Is he racist because of an email from 10 years ago? come on.

But from a recruit's perspective, they'd be 100% confident that Gruden will put them in the best position to get to the league, over anyone else on the list, based on his experience, NFL connections and past consulting for HS prospects.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
People have come back from worse. He's apologized, been punished by losing his job. Maybe some folks will never forgive him... I'm just saying if I was AD, I'd take a look. Is he racist because of an email from 10 years ago? come on.

But from a recruit's perspective, they'd be 100% confident that Gruden will put them in the best position to get to the league, over anyone else on the list, based on his experience, NFL connections and past consulting for HS prospects.
I personally would not risk the potential sh!tstorm of negative recruiting that would likely bring down on us. Let him rehab his image elsewhere.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

This is consistent with what I hear from my player students. The ONLY thing they are interested in is ... a path to the League. That's it. A coach that has success in college and connections in the NFL has a big leg up on those who don't.

I've long maintained that the ideal coach for Tech is a major college or NFL coach that is past his due date or has bad news deflating his price and he needs a place to park for a while to rehab. Gruden fits that bill. But if he passed on Tennessee, there's no way he makes a run at Tech. There are 3-4 former NFL coaches doing time as position coaches that might work ... I just hope we don't hold out for a saint. I would rather hold out for a sinner we can live with that wins.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is consistent with what I hear from my player students. The ONLY thing they are interested in is ... a path to the League. That's it. A coach that has success in college and connections in the NFL has a big leg up on those who don't.

I've long maintained that the ideal coach for Tech is a major college or NFL coach that is past his due date or has bad news deflating his price and he needs a place to park for a while to rehab. Gruden fits that bill. But if he passed on Tennessee, there's no way he makes a run at Tech. There are 3-4 former NFL coaches doing time as position coaches that might work ... I just hope we don't hold out for a saint. I would rather hold out for a sinner we can live with that wins.
There is not the slightest chance Jon Gruden will get any consideration as HC at Georgia Tech. None, zero. Some sins can be overlooked, but Gruden is toxic. It isn't happening.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There is not the slightest chance Jon Gruden will get any consideration as HC at Georgia Tech. None, zero. Some sins can be overlooked, but Gruden is toxic. It isn't happening.
What did I say? Please read it. ”No way he makes a run at Tech.”

He’s not coming to Tech, not interested in Tech, so doesn’t it make sense Tech won’t pursue him?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You think a coach that was fired for racist and homophobic remarks will be a culture fit in Atlanta, of all places?
The idea is totally absurd. The odds of winning the Power Ball are better than the odds of Gruden coming here as HC.

JCTNJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am O'Leary of Chadwell...haha... I hope J Batt is working the phones to hear what our competitors think of our roster, and schemes. Work the whole network to get a clear-eyed view of how deep in the stuff we are at this point. If the muck is really deep we need someone like an O'brien who has seen top notch programs and done turnarounds/rescues. I'm hearing that our roster is not the bottom of ACC but miles from the top 3-4. The most success Tech has had in my adulthood were when we had some skilled WR, RB, and QB- not necessarily high draft picks but high D1 players. Everyone hated Gailey, but he left a lot of talent on both sides of the (Reggie) ball...And Johnson won a lot of games with guile and wiliness, which Gailey would never do. But alas, Tech fans got greedy and Johnson hated recruiting. And Johnson didn't cripple Tech with a big payout, unlike Dufus RahRah. So there it is. Good luck J Batt!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What did I say? Please read it. ”No way he makes a run at Tech.”

He’s not coming to Tech, not interested in Tech, so doesn’t it make sense Tech won’t pursue him?
It doesn't necessarily follow, but glad you clarified that. Indeed, Tech is not going to pursue Gruden under any circumstance.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

So BOB