Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I voted Key because (1) he’s the only candidate I know for sure wants the job and (2) I think he wants it badly enough that we can probably avoid doing a ridiculous-totally-one sided 7 year contract with him (like the last guy) and (3) I’ve seen enough to believe he’s solid and certainly won’t finish killing us. I think we exhausted 8 lives with G…, we can’t burn the last one on another great savior who turns out to be a bust, for reasons that in retrospect were easily predictable (again).

I was an entrepreneur and know all about risk, but imo GTAA needs to be careful in this crazy environment. I wonder if TA&M is getting their money’s worth (for example). Success in one setting often does not translate into another, and GT is a little unique.

I’ll support whoever it is, and since I’m not a big enough AA donor to have any input, just waiting and hoping like everyone else.
The cheapest option is the one that we don’t have to buyout. Key isn’t going to be making pennies and if we have to buy him out after 2 years he’s not the cheapest/best option.

Batt will choose the coach that is the best candidate in our price range. There are plenty such candidates that aren’t expecting a ridiculous 7+ year contract and Key will not be at the top of the list.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think BOB might be the only coach on that list who might make me think about giving up my season tickets.
I have my question marks too (about him and ALL of them) but I am hoping we don't get to the point where we draw lines in the sand now. As others have said, I am willing to let AD Batt and the process make the decision. I imagine they are doing a better job or distancing themselves from the emotions that we fans seem to have.

Secondly, I hope if you do make this decision you do so quietly. Over our last three coaches, I have seen many people continue to grind their axes publicly and repeatedly here long past the point where anyone even listened to them. I am NOT saying you have to like him fwiw.

stigs02jrt

Banned
I like Deion, then Chadwell.

Rumor has it that Jon Gruden is interested in the USF job. Any takers for Gruden at GT?
you know what, I changed my mind. If Deion or Gruden don't get it (yes, I'd take Gruden, he'll recruit well), I'd keep Key and let him bring on an option OC (or hell, keep Long). Key is now a known quantity (to me at least), I like what I see.

Chadwell is somewhat of a gamble. If it's him, I'd jump on the bandwagon immediately though :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

stigs02jrt

Banned
Since coaching for us he was QBs coach and OC under Belichick working with Brady, he then took over at Penn State and won the conference and national coach of the year awards, then went to the NFL and made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years, and then took the role of OC at one of the premier programs in the country. Im sure people are considering those things as well.
And for these reasons, I don't see BOB stepping down to our level, he's looking for bigger jobs. Just keeping it real.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I voted for CBK and would be willing to give him another year or two.
He's a Tech man, the kids like him it seems, and honestly he's done pretty good in my books as an interim . Would love to see what he could do with a full off-season.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
Genuine question. Why is there a need for Key to beat the mutts in order to get the job? What coach in college football could beat them with our roster and situation this year? Should we not hold every candidate to the same standard?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Genuine question. Why is there a need for Key to beat the mutts in order to get the job? What coach in college football could beat them with our roster and situation this year? Should we not hold every candidate to the same standard?
because Key lost at home to a REALLY bad UVA team, but for that, he would be in much better shape. And go ahead and blame QB play, but Key has seen Pyron as much as anyone and a better coach should have started Pyron over Gibson

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Requiring a win over Ugag is a ridiculously high bar. May as well just rule him out. I don't think there's a coach in the country who could pull it off without divine intervention.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It's a made up fan requirement. We have no idea if JBatt is even considering Key.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I voted for CBK and would be willing to give him another year or two.
He's a Tech man, the kids like him it seems, and honestly he's done pretty good in my books as an interim . Would love to see what he could do with a full off-season.
You can’t give someone a year or two or he would be set up portly in recruiting. Contract needs to be 4+ years. If Batt isn’t confident enough in Key to give him 4+ years then he’s not the right guy.

I haven’t seen anything to make me feel confident in giving him that. Defense has played great since Collins left and Pyron looks like a winner. Neither of those things have much to do with Key. The main thing holding us back is the OL which is his main contribution. We still make a lot of mistakes, bad play calling from the OC Key selected, and punt team still horrible.

stigs02jrt

Banned
because Key lost at home to a REALLY bad UVA team, but for that, he would be in much better shape. And go ahead and blame QB play, but Key has seen Pyron as much as anyone and a better coach should have started Pyron over Gibson
Yes, technically Key has seen Pyron as much as anyone, which was basically nothing at all because CGC had him on the scout team. Key didn't make Gibson the backup, that was CGC and Long. Key needed about a half a game of Gibson before replacing him with the scout team QB. And that wasn't quick enough for you? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Because unlike the others Key play a direct role in the state of the program the last 4 years that led to us firing a coach and AD mid year and so he'll need to do something drastic to overcome that.

Also, the reality is since the pitt game we've eeked out a win against a mediocre duke team in OT, lost to a bad bad UVA team, got stomped by FSU, and barely beat a terrible VT team that did everything to give us the game. You would think since the bye week we'd look better and we've looked worse.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Because unlike the others Key play a direct role in the state of the program the last 4 years that led to us firing a coach and AD mid year and so he'll need to do something drastic to overcome that.

Also, the reality is since the pitt game we've eeked out a win against a mediocre duke team in OT, lost to a bad bad UVA team, got stomped by FSU, and barely beat a terrible VT team that did everything to give us the game. You would think since the bye week we'd look better and we've looked worse.
It’s embarrassing seeing how pitiful our fan base is getting excited about mediocre football. I get that Key is doing better than Collins but my local HS coach could probably do that too. Our standards have dropped to Vandy/Kansas level. We should have beat the brakes off VT with our roster especially now that we know Pyron is a baller. They are literally one of the worst P5 teams. Hire a real coach that has actually won as a HC.