Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
1. Kiffin as a hire would be the biggest hire for us in my lifetime at least. that would be the first time we went home with the belle of the ball in forever. if he would do better than paul, either way is kind of a guess but there is no doubt that his resume at the p5 level is above johnson’s at the time of the hire considering johnson had not been at that level

2. the equal talent argument does not hold any weight whatsoever and in college has nothing to do with you as a coach. a major part of coaching is bringing in talent and kiffin is better at that for some reason. it can’t possibly be the option though as we have had lengthy discussions in other threads about how the option doesn’t effect recruiting. kiffin is just a better recruiter apparently

3. running one of the top offenses in the country at bama (including one winning a championship)to coaching at fau and having the best three year stretch in school history after the school won 3 games for 3 straight years, then earning a job at ole miss where he has been great is the furthest thing from falling upwards.

if you dislike kiffin that is fine because he seems like an ******* occasionally, but the guy is a tremendous football coach. there is no way he’s coming here as we are not fishing in that same pond anyway but if you think he’s a bad coach then you’re kidding yourself
you assume that Kiffin could work his magic here, he might but i doubt he’d beat uga 3 times, or win the Orange bowl and ACC. Most likely with even a modicum of success he’d be gone out the door with the first good offer he got based on his history. Your right I don’t like the guy, I think he has Petrino-esque serious character issues that will rear up again sooner or later. Good coach as of now yes, great offensive mind yes, but he‘ll never come to GT anyway- I don’t think he digs asian coeds.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if you truly understand what a challenging job the HC at GT is. It is truly unique in all of college football. And the name we are discussing here who knows that the best is Key. As a player and a coach. Full disclosure: I voted Chadwell. But I'm rooting for Key. Truly.
I feel the same, pulling hard for Key. His love for Tech is plain to see, and I love his hard-nosed common sense approach to the HC job. Collins showed him everything not to do to succeed. Losing to uva was such a ballbuster.

Deleted member 6494

I don't know if you truly understand what a challenging job the HC at GT is. It is truly unique in all of college football. And the name we are discussing here who knows that the best is Key. As a player and a coach. Full disclosure: I voted Chadwell. But I'm rooting for Key. Truly.
Well, I started following GT football on the radio (No TV) the year before Bobby Dodd became the Head Coach (Alexander was the Head Coach). I became a fan of Dodd and Tech football from that beginning until now. I am 87 years of age; Are you sure you want to tell me about Tech football?

JacketFan137

Banned
you assume that Kiffin could work his magic here, he might but i doubt he’d beat uga 3 times, or win the Orange bowl and ACC. Most likely with even a modicum of success he’d be gone out the door with the first good offer he got based on his history. Your right I don’t like the guy, I think he has Petrino-esque serious character issues that will rear up again sooner or later. Good coach as of now yes, great offensive mind yes, but he‘ll never come to GT anyway- I don’t think he digs asian coeds.
we’ll never know either way but i think kiffin going 3-8 against uga would not be so out of the question if he stayed that long (you are correct he wouldn’t as he would draw interest from bigger schools while paul didn’t). he is a much better coach than you are willing to give credit for

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel the same, pulling hard for Key. His love for Tech is plain to see, and I love his hard-nosed common sense approach to the HC job. Collins showed him everything not to do to succeed. Losing to uva was such a ballbuster.
Isn't it a problem that Key recommended the new hires on the offensive staff to Collins. A staff where both he and the OC have failed and the RB coach has left. Will Key get rid of staff that he helped get hired? If not, then there is no way we can keep Key.

My questions for Key...

Who does he hire to coach the OL, RBs, run the offense?

and

What is he going to do elevate recruiting and elevate our play in three facets of the game?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I started following GT football on the radio (No TV) the year before Bobby Dodd became the Head Coach (Alexander was the Head Coach). I became a fan of Dodd and Tech football from that beginning until now. I am 87 years of age; Are you sure you want to tell me about Tech football?
I can only judge your understanding of what it takes to be a successful HC at GT by your statements here. And your statement that you would have no confidence in the new AD if he "even considered Key" was, to me, pretty clueless.

Deleted member 6494

I can only judge your understanding of what it takes to be a successful HC at GT by your statements here. And your statement that you would have no confidence in the new AD if he "even considered Key" was, to me, pretty clueless.
That is my perceptive opinion; you are free to have your own opinions.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
we’ll never know either way but i think kiffin going 3-8 against uga would not be so out of the question if he stayed that long (you are correct he wouldn’t as he would draw interest from bigger schools while paul didn’t). he is a much better coach than you are willing to give credit for
Maybe so, time will tell i reckon but there’s a lot more to being a great coach than x’s & o’s and recruiting.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Isn't it a problem that Key recommended the new hires on the offensive staff to Collins. A staff where both he and the OC have failed and the RB coach has left. Will Key get rid of staff that he helped get hired? If not, then there is no way we can keep Key.

My questions for Key...

and

What is he going to do elevate recruiting and elevate our play in three facets of the game?
I know this is off topic relative to your post, but does it strike anyone else as odd that Key had to recommend these coaches? All my life, I have heard that head coaches keeps lists of possible replacements should they lose one of their assistant coaches...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

My questions for Key...

and

Sounds like J Batt will need to interview him to get some answers to these questions.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
The thing that most people don't understand that most the people we talk about on here don't want to come to Tech and coach. One thing you don't want to do is interview coaches and have them say no. I have NO problem if wel try Key but don't do a 7 year deal , 4 years with no buyout may work. From what I have seen the players are playing hard for him.
Exactly! From my understanding the next head coach will preferably be someone that has HC experience and an offensive mind.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like J Batt will need to interview him to get some answers to these questions.
Yes, but given the lack of success of the persons he recommended, I would have serious doubts that he can assemble a winning staff. The risk is far too great for me. That is why I want either Chadwell, BOB, Dan Mullen of Bill Clark.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Your standards of winning are a lot lower than mine. So far, he had one noteworthy win, Pitt, who by the way, has a 2-3 record in conference. Otherwise, he beat a horrid VPISU team by one point, beat a moderately good Duke team in OT, lost to a really bad UVA team, and got blown out by FSU.

Regardless, Key is not competing against Collins for this job. It does not matter how many more wins he has vs. what Collins did. He is competing against other coaches who have much better track records. Unless we win out, the probability he gets hired is extremely low unless everyone on our list turns us down.
But he's done this while taking on the second most historical transformation in all of college football.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
A poll of everyone's SECOND choice would be interesting.
I'm not sure who my first choice would be (I voted for Chadwell just because), and I'm not sure there is a clear second choice, either.

So, if we whiff on the consensus #1 (or he takes a pass on us!), then I might be okay with giving Key a shot provided there were performance metrics that gave Tech an inexpensive out if he fails to make demonstrable progress in the next couple of years.

I'd also insist that we hire the best damn OC & DC that we can possibly afford.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So who does Batt use to ascertain what are the biggest deficiencies on the team and who is qualified to improve them. GC thought it was all about getting better recruits, it was more than just that. Who can he use to help him with evaluations? How good is the headhunter group we are using? Anyone else with FB knowledge internally that can help with evaluations since Batt was not a FB jock. Even TStan got fooled.
I would hope that Key at least gets the first interview and he is asked what he would change going forward if he got offered the job. I would hope Batt is having one on one interviews with the entire staff to get a sense of the needs of the program. I would also talk with the seniors on the team at the conclusion of the season. Talking with kids that have transferred in might offer a lot of insight on our program versus where they came from. Good and bad--the ole exit interview.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If Batt even considers Key, which I think he won't, then I would personally have no confidence in his ability to analyze situations at Tech or anywhere else. Personally, I don't think Key is even being considered. If he were to win out, he might be extended an interview but only as a "Thank You for your efforts".
You forget the financial constraint. There may be some great coaches who are AVAILABLE but not AFFORDABLE.

We're not in a position to claim money is no object.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think If we could do something nuts like Retain Key then keep long as a TE coach for a year (to not eat his contract for nothing) but hire Jeff Scott to be our OC. That might be a smart choice. Scott will come cheaper as he's still going to be on buyout from USF. He didn't forget how to coach but sometimes people just aren't ready for head coach gigs.

Let Key hire an OL coach so he can focus solely on HC duties. Some of our other coaches are not bad hires in a vaccuum.

I will admit i thought long was going to be better.

JacketFan137

Banned
I honestly think If we could do something nuts like Retain Key then keep long as a TE coach for a year (to not eat his contract for nothing) but hire Jeff Scott to be our OC. That might be a smart choice. Scott will come cheaper as he's still going to be on buyout from USF. He didn't forget how to coach but sometimes people just aren't ready for head coach gigs.

Let Key hire an OL coach so he can focus solely on HC duties. Some of our other coaches are not bad hires in a vaccuum.

I will admit i thought long was going to be better.
it’s just really hard to convince people to take reduced roles unless you are a truly special team. maybe uga or bama off a natty but i think demoting a guy here is just gonna be on to the next.

i’m still not quite out on long cause i think the o line has been too inconsistent for us to find any groove offensively, but i question whether he puts us in positions to succeed because he ignores our deficiencies

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The thing that most people don't understand that most the people we talk about on here don't want to come to Tech and coach. One thing you don't want to do is interview coaches and have them say no. I have NO problem if wel try Key but don't do a 7 year deal , 4 years with no buyout may work. From what I have seen the players are playing hard for him.
Yep. The recruiters will reach out to the agents to get a feel for the coach's interest. The agent will call his client and ask if he's open to taking a phone call.

No interest, no phone call. Neither side wants negative publicity in the press.