Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You can make up any worst-case scenario you want. So what? How does that line up with the most-likely scenario (aka reality)?

IHCBK may or may not be our guy long term, but I don't think he's a one-game wonder. For starters, we've heard that he's changed the way the team practices, and it appears he's instilling grit and determination to win. That's showing up on the field.

Here's the thing...no one in this forum took CGC seriously when listening to his press conferences. Do you think the players took him any more seriously in the locker room? Conversely, IHCBK instantly had everyone's attention when he stepped up to the mike. You knew you were listening to a hard-nosed football player-turned-coach.

I think the players get that, too.
it doesn't do any good to answer him his hate for Key is too strong. If he doesn't get his pick at Head Coach, I'm sure we will all know.

slugboy

Staff member
Pittman was hired because he was known as the best OL coach and one of the best recruiters in the SEC. That wasn't a real mystery. He adds significant value in multiple ways. He is also involved in offensive game planning. Dabo is the interesting case that people like to bring up. He was one of the best recruiters in the country and a fine WR coach but was still a major risk. Many within the program didn't want him in that position. Im not sure that chasing the next Dabo is a sound hiring strategy though, nor do I think Key is even at the level Dabo was.

As for the results. I do think the team got a boost from finally getting out from under the Collins black cloud that kept lingering. I also think Key made a good move changing kickers which has played a big part in improvement. But if we are being honest, we have also played mediocre teams since the change happened. Collins was fired after losing to teams ranked 16th, 19th, and 21st in FEI. Since then we have only played one team in the top 50 and that team utterly destroyed us. It's hard for me to gauge our teams improvement comparing games against Ole Miss and Clemson to games against UVA and VT.

That’s one of the reasons I compared how we performed against the point spread and vs SP+ over the season.

Overall, we seem to be playing a lot better. Maybe a touchdown better. There are still huge problems. Let’s see if the offense looks better this week. They looked better last week. But maybe you can’t fix everything mid season.

If we had just a mediocre punt unit all year, I think we would have won at least two more games already this year.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
A challenge to evaluating Key relative to other HC candidates is, unlike the others, he is held accountable (by fans at least) for 2022 wins and losses since he became interim HC. So on one hand you can say he is part of the prior regime and complicit in our previous failures, but on the other hand, he gets to burnish his resume when we unexpectedly win. This is neither fair to Key nor is it a reasonable way to compare him to other candidates who do not have either the burden or opportunity to do the same. That said, I think he has done a few things that indicate he is both minimally competent and able to make important decisions with some urgency – both skills which seemed to have been lacking in the past. But our collective judgment on his performance is probably tainted by the fact that our bar for improvement is set so low.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Thank god most of y’all aren’t the AD.

Sure let’s hire retreads, guys who got fired for being losers, and dudes about to get fired.

Idk who my pick is but it damn sure isn’t most of who y’all want.

Smartest guys in the room, no common sense.
I'm trying to align your highlighted concerns with the current polling favorite, but I'm not seeing it. Can you elaborate?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to align your highlighted concerns with the current polling favorite, but I'm not seeing it. Can you elaborate?
Not stoked on chadwell either. Idk who i would higher but the pool for pickings is looking bleak

Glad it isn’t my job.

Some of these suggestions though are insane

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
With the amount of openings in CFB, how many people on this list do we have a realistic shot at getting outside of Key?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The more I hear key talking pressers, the more I would be OK with him being the next head coach. The dude gets it. He knows football and he knows young men. When he answers a question he answers it. He doesn’t dance around it. He’s more of a straight shooter than even Johnson. Hire Chadwell as OC and we got it.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I am NOT saying we should make IHCBK the HC.

However, dude's had what? 4-6 weeks to turn the ship around? With no influx of new recruits or staff changes?

Anyone else we name in December/January will have nine months to prepare for the next season.

So, I don't think we can compare performance today vs. performance next September.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
The more I hear key talking pressers, the more I would be OK with him being the next head coach. The dude gets it. He knows football and he knows young men. When he answers a question he answers it. He doesn’t dance around it. He’s more of a straight shooter than even Johnson. Hire Chadwell as OC and we got it.
Probably not gonna get Chadwell as OC but Willy Korn might be ready to leave Chadwell's shadow and be the O.C. here...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sat at 3:30 on espn UCF (#22) verses Tulane (#17) .

Are we to elite for to have either of these coaches?
TULANE =#17. Thats amazing.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not an advocate for Key nor am I against him. He is a major part of the worst history in GT football history so he has to account for that. If he’s hired I’ll support him. But I can never understand why folks judge any coach based on words. Why would you or anyone use pressers as any data point on being a head coach? It‘s all just emotions and feelings. All that matters ( our fanbase should know this better than others) is either winning the game or losing the game.

We’ve been through a lot as a fanbase. We spent a decade infighting over an offense. And the past 3 years our football program turned into a marketing gimmick. Looking back all that was just stupid and pointless. We either won or lost. Then we bring in a guy who says everything we wanted to hear but we saw it didn’t mean a thing. Yet, we still have fans using the barometer of “good” or “bad” pressers as if it means a thing. It’s just weird to me after what we‘ve been through. I don’t believe anything anyone says anymore. It’s all just emotional nothingness. Either win the game or lose the game. That’s the only barometer. And for all this so called “straight shooter” stuff regarding Key he still has been straight with us on the past 3.5 years. The next coach will soon have an introductory press conference and we’ll parse every word even though they mean nothing. All that matters will be next September when we either win game 1 or lose game 1.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
the only thing about Fritz would be his age at 62 how much longer would be coach. Malzahn I don't know much about him
There is no upside for Gus to come to Tech. He left Auburn with $30M and apparently, is really enjoying living and coaching in Florida. He is not regarded as a great recruiter, nor as one who could develop talent. And his offensive scheme, while it can work great if you have a Cam Newton, is not taken seriously by folks in the NFL.

If you want an OC who has more of a Tech pedigree, Mike Denbrock is probably a better choice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lane Kiffin is the hero we need.

You all know it. Anybody disagree? No?

Come At Me The Breakfast Club GIF

JacketFan137

Banned
I wouldn't hire Kiffin to walk my barn cat, much less to coach my football team. I think very little of his people skills.

GIF by The .GIFYS
we here to have a cocktail party or here to win games?

he isn’t coming barring just an absolutely absurd windfall of money but he’d be the best coach we’d hired in decades

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
we here to have a cocktail party or here to win games?

he isn’t coming barring just an absolutely absurd windfall of money but he’d be the best coach we’d hired in decades
We'd be hiring him to lead young men and win. I'm a hard pass if he recruited my boy.
But, I will agree, he's not our next coach.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I just wish he knew how to put together a solid OL at Tech from recruiting to through maturation.