You are hired!!!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The very first thing I would do is go to plain, non-descript uniforms like Penn ST, except in white and gold. They should look more dull than most teams practice unis. No names, no stripes, just plain colors and numbers. The pants should have twice as much material as needed for the rear end, leaving a huge baggy pouch below the butt. Then the knee pads should extend about 6 inches past the knee, nearly reaching tube socks halfway up the shin. While we are at it, we should replace our newfangled shoes with old leather cleats that tie about 3 inches past the ankle bones. Once the look is complete, we won't even have to worry about recruiting any more.
I should have left my original post but I thought it would stir up too much stuff. Look at you going for a uni post.:LOL:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Like I

As I said most people on swarm want to not spend any more $. When they do I would suggest hiring a damn good out of state attorney to look at actions against one or 2 individuals on BOR members. No harm in looking.

Based on what cause of action? Not trying to be an arse but simply because the BOR hasn't, doesn't and isn't going to allow Tech to have more majors doesn't mean any law was broken. I've been mulling over what another poster put forth about Tech going private and leaving the BOR/University System all together. That has a certain appeal, logistically it might prove close to impossible. But the more I think about it the more I feel it should be explored.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To the OP...this is a trick question. If I am a serious AD or a young up and comer, I decline the interview. I would only go to a place that has commitment from the top to excel in athletics. Tech is a school that "dabbles" at it a bit and is somewhat vested.This is a job that requires the skill set/genius/experience of a Dr.Homer Rice Guys like that are rarer than hen's teeth as the old saying goes.

Based on what cause of action? Not trying to be an arse but simply because the BOR hasn't, doesn't and isn't going to allow Tech to have more majors doesn't mean any law was broken. I've been mulling over what another poster put forth about Tech going private and leaving the BOR/University System all together. That has a certain appeal, logistically it might prove close to impossible. But the more I think about it the more I feel it should be explored.
Going private would have to be approved by both the BOR and the state legislature, and that will never happen.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The very first thing I would do is go to plain, non-descript uniforms like Penn ST, except in white and gold. They should look more dull than most teams practice unis. No names, no stripes, just plain colors and numbers. The pants should have twice as much material as needed for the rear end, leaving a huge baggy pouch below the butt. Then the knee pads should extend about 6 inches past the knee, nearly reaching tube socks halfway up the shin. While we are at it, we should replace our newfangled shoes with old leather cleats that tie about 3 inches past the ankle bones. Once the look is complete, we won't even have to worry about recruiting any more.
Look at that. Boomer turns loose his sense of humor.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Not all realistic but here goes:

1. Goodbye Russell. Hello Under Armor. Let UA have a hay day like Oregon and have a different uniform color arrangement each week. But style wise keep it within reason / tradition. Stylish, Sexy, but traditional colors.

2. 75% of expenditures/funding/salaries/ etc of the GTAA goes into the Football Program.

3. Increase the size of the football stadium from 55,000 to 85,000.

4. Fire CBG. Hire Mark Price or Craig Neal.

5. Improve Academic options / exceptions for Recruits.

6. Buy CPJ an array of vehicles.... private jet, private hellicopter, hummer, etc... All soaked in white and gold.

7. I would be a horrible head of GTAA but hey this was fun.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If I was the AD, I'd fire Paul Johnson.

Then, in 2019 after a 6-7 season with losses to UGA and the bowl game, I'd fire that guy.

Then in 2022 after a 7-6 season, I'd fire that guy.

Nice interview. Ideas are great.
You are not needed to handle the plan presented. That plan is already on the business calendar.

Again!
Thanks for your ideas . Instead of hiring ad the recruiting budget is doubled.
We will change calendar to double period for firing the coach.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Seconded with the jettisoning of Russell. That matters more now to recruits than it ever has, and I'll be damned if I lose kids over a logo. Nike, UA, show me the dollar signs. We're a world class University in one of the biggest cities in the world.

I'd start immediately looking into forming partnerships with GMC, Georgia Perimeter, and any other 2 yr. school in the state that offers football and calculus. Cultivate a handful of schools where we can send partial qualifiers and guys who can't pass Calc at Tech. Have them there during the summer, getting caught up.

Also, I'd see if the Hill would give me 2 yrs. to get these guys through Calc and Comp. Sci, instead of 1. Make it as easy as possible for kids to get through these academic rigors.

I'd give CPJ all the leeway he thinks he needs to offer top-flight recruits, and put in place the academic support to make sure those kids can get through school.

I'd begin an ad campaign nationwide highlighting the benefit of a GT education, buying ad time on ESPN and it's affiliated networks to run during big time college programming. Emphasize the low likelihood of becoming a professional athlete and the statistics on the average income level for Georgia Tech graduates. Get Calvin Johnson and a famous non-athlete alum to do commercial. John Brock maybe.

I'd partner with a Hollywood studio to begin production on the Clint Castleberry story. Has the potential to be like Rudy, without the disappointing postscript.

Finally, I'd entertain any and all serious opportunities at increased brand expansion. I often think ma Tech is her own worst enemy when it comes to increasing her profile on the collective consciousness on the minds of young people. Push hard for opportunities to host high school tournaments at all major sports. Increase emphasis on current Jackets in the NFL on billboards around the city. Grow our footprint here and abroad. Like the Good Book says, "First to Jerusalem, then to Judea, then to the ends of the earth..."

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess nobody is buying my completely serious uniform strategy?

Well, if you won't go for that, I offer the following: GT will not change the curriculum nor the requirements. I accept that and I embrace that, so, if I were AD, I'd quadruple the current resources that are applied towards the recruiting of football players. It sounds crazy expensive, but as a percentage of total outlays, it isn't that crazy. We would increase staff and the amount of travel to make sure we reach every techinical minded prospect on the entire football playing earth. They are out there. We just need to make contact. A couple years ago the NY times did a study where our TOTAL nationwide fanbase was characterized as being actually larger than UGA's, and not by a small margin I should add. We're a better brand that is respected all over the globe. The myopic state of GA loves UGA and their inbred rednecks, but the rest of the USA respects the he11 out of TECH! If we take this action, we will keep our rep and improve our program. Everybody wins! When there is a competitive, intelligent, and athletic prospect in North Dakota, we will be all over him. We will be willing to make the trips to meet his family and make the convincing sales pitch about all that TECH has to offer.

Next, I would do the unthinkable......add a third deck on top of the east stands and fill the corner gaps in the corners of the current stadium to increase capacity to around 70 or 75 thousand. Concurrently, I would reduce the ticket prices for certain parts of the stadium to get less advantaged potential fans through the door. Sooner or later they will be hooked and prices can slowly rise. If you build it, they will come. Bottom line, national champs come from programs with big stadiums. It is just a fact. In the near term we have a ton of noise. In the long term, we have a lot more cash coming in.

Then I would fire Danny Hall as baseball coach and step into the position myself. Not because Hall is doing a bad job, or because I could do any better, but simply because I CAN (it is my dream job after all).

As far as basketball is concerned, I have no clue. I think Gregory coaches the game well, but does he resonate with players at all? IDK. Has he recruited a single high profile player? Right now we are surviving on transfers ONLY. We simply cannot survive that way. We have a great venue, but there is simply no energy surrounding the program at all. Would Noodles inject some energy? Mark Price maybe? IDK.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I guess nobody is buying my completely serious uniform strategy?

Well, if you won't go for that, I offer the following: GT will not change the curriculum nor the requirements. I accept that and I embrace that, so, if I were AD, I'd quadruple the current resources that are applied towards the recruiting of football players. It sounds crazy expensive, but as a percentage of total outlays, it isn't that crazy. We would increase staff and the amount of travel to make sure we reach every techinical minded prospect on the entire football playing earth. They are out there. We just need to make contact. A couple years ago the NY times did a study where our TOTAL nationwide fanbase was characterized as being actually larger than UGA's, and not by a small margin I should add. We're a better brand that is respected all over the globe. The myopic state of GA loves UGA and their inbred rednecks, but the rest of the USA respects the he11 out of TECH! If we take this action, we will keep our rep and improve our program. Everybody wins! When there is a competitive, intelligent, and atheltic prospect in North Dakota, we will be all over him. We will be willing to make the trips to meet his family and make the convincing sales pitch about all that TECH has to offer.

Next, I would do the unthinkable......add a third deck on top of the east stands and fill the corner gaps in the corners of the current stadium to increase capacity to around 70 or 75 thousand. Concurrently, I would reduce the ticket prices for certain parts of the stadium to get less advantaged potential fans through the door. Sooner or later they will be hooked and prices can slowly rise. If you build it, they will come. Bottom line, national champs come from programs with big stadiums. It is just a fact. In the near term we have a ton of noise. In the long term, we have a lot more cash coming in.

Then I would fire Danny Hall as baseball coach and step into the position myself. Not because Hall is doing a bad job, or because I could do any better, but simply because I CAN (it is my dream job after all).

As far as basketball is concerned, I have no clue. I think Gregory coaches the game well, but does he resonate with players at all? IDK. Has he recruited a single high profile player? Right now we are surviving on transfers ONLY. We simply cannot survive that way. We have a great venue, but there is simply no energy surrounding the program at all. Would Noodles inject some energy? Mark Price maybe? IDK.
If we get a women's Lacrosse team I could coach it. May need to buy a book on how to play Lacrosse . :)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If we get a women's Lacrosse team I could coach it. May need to buy a book on how to play Lacrosse . :)
off topic a bit but why in the world is our Men's Lacrosse team not an actual team in the ACC? Highschoolers are ALL ABOUT Lacrosse and Tech has a great club team of it. Move those boys up and increase our presence there and it will do nothing but help Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
off topic a bit but why in the world is our Men's Lacrosse team not an actual team in the ACC? Highschoolers are ALL ABOUT Lacrosse and Tech has a great club team of it. Move those boys up and increase our presence there and it will do nothing but help Tech.

If you add men's lacrosse you have to add women's too. Title IX? More expenses and doesn't generate revenue. I'm not against the idea but those are the reasons it hasn't happened and likely won't.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh Boy. Engineers are cheap. So by default our fanbase is a bunch of tight wads. Its just true. I have observed this a ton...but you can't let that dictate being creative.

1 - Increase recruiting staff from 3 to 6 in football.
2 - Host remote camps in Florida at jesuit in tampa and in S florida.
3 - Host remote camps in GA in the gainesville macon and valdosta areas
4 - Push and work with the school on a more lenient sliding scale with relation to standardized testing, GPA, and allow the AD and HC to be accountable for misses in their contract through pay penalties if they take too many chances and miss. Its a risk reward option for the coach to decide on. Status quo and no penalty. Get an aggressive coach....says hey I want to bring in 5 more exceptions a class....then if those classes are statistically worse than the team avg prior...he has a pay penalty. He doesn't have to do this....but can...its his call. But allow the option and make him accountable.
5 - Change BDS seat rules. First, on premium seats, arrange for a one time PSL option. A big number....but you pay one time and have it for life. Folks who don't want to do that, in the same seat, can pay a license year by year as well, but over the long haul (TBD based on how the numbers work...easy to figure out I just don't have the data) will cost them more than the first. For non-premium seats, keep the current methods but remove required donations in some sections that are continually undersold. In bad sections, have a cheap season ticket only price of $80 a seat. But that same seat non-season ticket game to game is face value. This helps solidify more season ticket purchases....yes less face value money...but concessions and potential for future influx is better. The fact is, if a product isn't selling, and inventory is high, you lower prices...to get some revenue. Its simple commodity approach, which is what seats are at GT.
6 - repurpose space in BDS currently the players lounge, and make it a GT SA therapy center, with full time staff massage tables and spa like atmosphere...call it medical and therapy and make it a perk; compete with the big boys on gimmics. Roll the concept in with the school to make a sports therapy minor as part of a current degree.
7 - sign a contract with a shoe AND apparel company...not Russell...nike, Adidas, reebok etc...whoever...
8 - hire new softball coach.
9 - hire new volleyball coach
10 - Entertain talks with the Big 10 and SEC. To get the ACC to move the needle on its own network. Start throwing around the ATL weight some more.
11 - host semi-annual (twice a year) media open houses....cater it. Make it a perk for the media. Be engaging, make coaches available, offer food, drinks, and free rides. Let GT become a welcoming place for local and national media.
12 - reserve a catered booth just for the media at football games. Take a note from the SEC Schools that do this...its a good idea for positive press.

I am sure I have more..just a start

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that would go into marketting the Tech brand is we need to desperately educate people that Tech has an actual Campus. SO many people who think they know Tech but have never been on campus think it's a standard urban campus. Aka just buildings like Georgia State is.

I have heard at least 4 college students say "Wow you guys have an actual campus? Wow this is really nice. If I'd have known this I would've looked at going here."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that would go into marketting the Tech brand is we need to desperately educate people that Tech has an actual Campus. SO many people who think they know Tech but have never been on campus think it's a standard urban campus. Aka just buildings like Georgia State is.

I have heard at least 4 college students say "Wow you guys have an actual campus? Wow this is really nice. If I'd have known this I would've looked at going here."

Marketing?? What's that for??

Engineers do not Toot their own horn!

Engineers believe that they will get just praise in the end!

Been my experience they do get it in the end.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the posters who have mentioned modernizing the branding of the school and its athletic programs (you saw some of that this year with the endzones painted gold rather than Vegas yellow). I also think, if we could find the budget for it, hiring additional on-campus recruiters would be terrific, as would hiring people who could speak at every single high school in the state about Georgia Tech the school and Georgia Tech the athletic program. Having ambassadors throughout the state is something we need desperately.

After doing all those things, I'd start to hammer every single living alum who doesn't own season tickets to pony up. Ultimately, the AD can only do so much, and we as fans have to assume responsibility for the programs. If we want better players in the revenue sports, the best way to do it is to fill the buildings. Unless or until that happens, very little will ever change.