You are hired!!!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Congrats! You are now head of the GTAA.

Everyone has a vision for our football program but I want to see what some guys would do if you were the AD for us. Its pretty easy the 1st thing I would do as soon as I sat down on job, Im getting on the phone field calls from Nike, UA, and Adidas. I have to push the brand up to another level. I can't having HS in GA with better uniforms than my team. I also have to control of some the of the market in sporting good stores away from UGA.

Im getting front of GA kids. Im spending money on hosting camps at remote locations like Mercer, Valdosta ST and Savannah St. Im going to make sure I leave a lasting impression on South GA

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'd take a similar approach to you. Gotta get a modern Georgia Institute of Technology brand out there that embraces the academics but doesn't paint us in a corner with perception.

I'd really want Alumni athletes to be the face of a lot of the initiatives and would hire them to help run things like camps.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I've always wanted our football/basketball/baseball program to do was hold scrimmages in fertile recruiting areas around the state. Maybe not every year, but maybe once every 2 years or so. Then hold a fan day event afterwards. Areas like South GA, Cobb County, Gwinnett County, Macon, Savannah Area. It may not pay dividends right away, but it spreads the GT brand to the younger generation, and endears them to the young kids who will one day fill the seats at BDS. There's nothing like a giant football player or basketball spending a few moments with a young man who's impressionable. To the SA, it's a minute or two, to the young fan, it could mean the world that a big time SA took time out to say a few words and take a picture. That's how fans for life are made...exactly why Cam Newton is beloved by Carolina Panther fans.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Everyone has a vision for our football program but I want to see what some guys would do if you were the AD for us. Its pretty easy the 1st thing I would do as soon as I sat down on job, Im getting on the phone field calls from Nike, UA, and Adidas. I have to push the brand up to another level. I can't having HS in GA with better uniforms than my team. I also have to control of some the of the market in sporting good stores away from UGA.

Im getting front of GA kids. Im spending money on hosting camps at remote locations like Mercer, Valdosta ST and Savannah St. Im going to make sure I leave a lasting impression on South GA
I would ask for a raise.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I've always wanted our football/basketball/baseball program to do was hold scrimmages in fertile recruiting areas around the state. Maybe not every year, but maybe once every 2 years or so. Then hold a fan day event afterwards. Areas like South GA, Cobb County, Gwinnett County, Macon, Savannah Area. It may not pay dividends right away, but it spreads the GT brand to the younger generation, and endears them to the young kids who will one day fill the seats at BDS. There's nothing like a giant football player or basketball spending a few moments with a young man who's impressionable. To the SA, it's a minute or two, to the young fan, it could mean the world that a big time SA took time out to say a few words and take a picture. That's how fans for life are made...exactly why Cam Newton is beloved by Carolina Panther fans.
you could ask both my sons. They're about as big a GT fan as anyone on this site. (It hasn't hurt that the color red isn't allowed in the house without a Hawk of Falcon logo)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

Sounds like the second thing you need to do, after kicking Russell to the curb, is sweet talk the big money guys for this money you're spending since the GTAA always seems to be barely holding their head above water financially.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

First...Im going to find that apostrophe key on my keyboard. :)

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think I could come up with a decent plan as AD. I couldn't execute it, but the plan should work if executed somehow. Focusing mostly on football:

1. Pay all the coaches way more money through incentives, and hire more staff for "quality control" and recruiting. Of course, the AA is in serious debt, so where would the money come from?

2. Raise a bunch of money (I'm sure Bobinski would never think of this one). How? Start a campaign with a focus on "becoming a legitimate national title contender" or something to that effect. Lay out the plan to donors about what we would do with the money (more quality control staff, etc) as motivation. Set up an online donation system where you choose how your money is spent, for example, you can choose to divert your funds to an additional offensive quality control staff member, defensive quality control staff member, or recruiting staff member. Show how close we are to raising enough to achieve each goal. Or maybe give donors the ability to donate directly to each staff member's salary. You think Roof is doing a good job? Give him a raise. Literally. Is any of this feasible? I don't know. But if you paid me Bobinski's salary I'd find out for you. Basically, there are a bunch of Tech grads with piles of money laying around. If you want to get them to spend that cash on the AA then make them feel involved.

3. Increase our national recruiting presence. Of course we already recruit nationwide (technically). But too large a fraction of our resources are focused on Georgia. Why are people always so surprised when some high-level recruit from Georgia who says their priority is academics chooses UGA? A large fraction of their teachers are UGA grads. Of course they think UGA is a good academic school. How many of their teachers are GT grads? Probably none. They don't understand the opportunities GT provides. But GT has a fantastic nationwide reputation. We should be scouring the west coast for high-level recruits that value academics. I'm not saying we should slack off on Georgia, but with our (theoretically) expanded recruiting staff we should be able to multiply our efforts outside the southeast. One indicator would be to see how many kids with Stanford offers also have GT offers. Stanford is already offering all the high-level recruits in Georgia who value academics; why don't all the high-level recruits in California who value academics have GT offers?

4. Expand GT's academic offerings. The AD does not have this power. And even if the AD did have that power, I would never support "watering down" GT's academics to win some football games. That separation is what makes us special in my opinion. However, I do think there are a few common-sense additions that would benefit both academics and athletics that the AD could lobby for. One obvious addition is a teaching certificate program. Lack of a teaching certificate already cost us Jaybo Shaw, and who knows how many recruits. I'm not talking about kindergarten, I'm talking about high school math and science teachers, which would align strongly with GT's mission. There is a shortage of high school physics teachers who have an actual physics degree (many physics classes are taught by people with a chemistry degree). This also relates to #3 above. We are fighting for the hearts and minds of high school kids, and they are almost exclusively taught by our enemies. We need to get in the ring and divert the best students to GT. That includes good students who are also good athletes. Another academic addition might be a certificate and minor in exercise science (we already have a School of Applied Physiology).

5. Uniforms. Unlike Ibeeballin, I'm not totally convinced we should dump Russell. They throw a pile of money at us to wear their uniforms, and we need piles of money. But we at least need a new deal. If they want us to wear uniforms manufactured by Russell then we need control over the design. They can even sell our design to high schools or whatever, but we need to be able to choose our own uniform designs. If we can't get that leeway then let's shop around. If Nike or UA even comes close to the $$$ Russell pays us then we need to switch.

I can't think of much else. Our facilities are already pretty damn nice, but we need to keep them that way. Mostly, we need great coaches with great support. That requires $$$. We also need to be able to attract good recruits, and part of that is being creative about using our academics as a competitive advantage. Has Bobinski looked into all the things on this list? Probably. But he hasn't executed them (yet). If I were AD I would probably fail to put this list into practice as well. But there is probably somebody out there who can get this stuff done. Maybe that person is Bobinski. I hope it is.

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, it is much more fun to pretend you are in charge of the NCAA. Change there is what college athletics needs. I might start a new thread.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Recruit Tech tutors for high school athletes around the state, neighboring states.

A you can do it initiative. They wouldn't do any recruiting except name placement. Even if kids go elsewhere, Tech's image is improved and so are kids' lives.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
1st-Put a neutral site game with a good opponent every year. A must see TV game similar to GA/UF. It could be someone that loves to recruit the south, and play in the new Falcon stadium.
2nd-Hire Bobby Cremins as my assistant and put him overseeing the BB program.
3rd-Have a meeting with the President, Admissions, and Faculty and get a consensus on getting better players admitted, passed, and graduated with more majors.
4th-Have open scrimmages on Saturdays during the spring and preseason at HS campuses across the state, especially in Mid and South Ga.
5th-Fire Danny Hall!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Everyone here is for not spending more money.
Small ideas follow.
Audit gtaa as compared to other programs ( our budget same as Stanford and they recruit nationally.) Find away to recruit more locations. Look at every dollar! Raise money by go fund me gt alums for recruiting.

If no real $ found, recruit on cheap by coordinating w alumni association to provide coaches as speakers @ their major meetings - Houston, Dallas etc. Invite select high school coaches to attend . Also while there do a clinic for coaches on TO at a couple of nearby locations. Raise money to buy a gt "Buzz Bus" to take coaches around. I will drive in Texas as I know best bbq spots. Take coach moore! On buss - big sign 1:6 gt grads r millionaires AND we are looking for DT!

Do study on gtaa football graduates and highlite some positive numbers - surely they are doing much better than uga .

Improve website - they started a year ago - not much progress. Stanford site has roster has degree program of each atltlete - ours has lots of color and is slow. Add more info on championship years, and success stories of past players.

Buy a dozen quad copters and program them to fly in a swarm formation from their hive . Set up hive in south endzone with lots of music , smoke and lights. Have them fly back and forth over the south endzone over and in front of luxury boxes. Kids in endzone and big $ folks will love it ( For extra donation have them do special formation). Auburn has the eagle - we have the bee hive! Kids and wives would come to games to see this and it would get gt on national tv. Gt could have class projects to write better programs.

If we aim at being competitive in coastal, I will not get to go to orange bowl again. If we aim at acc champ we could accidentally go to the show. With our offense clicking we could win it all.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The very first thing I would do is go to plain, non-descript uniforms like Penn ST, except in white and gold. They should look more dull than most teams practice unis. No names, no stripes, just plain colors and numbers. The pants should have twice as much material as needed for the rear end, leaving a huge baggy pouch below the butt. Then the knee pads should extend about 6 inches past the knee, nearly reaching tube socks halfway up the shin. While we are at it, we should replace our newfangled shoes with old leather cleats that tie about 3 inches past the ankle bones. Once the look is complete, we won't even have to worry about recruiting any more.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Like I
All this new and more majors stuff, as good as it sounds, just won't fly with the Georgia BOR. Tech really has no control over that; never has, and sadly probably never will.

As I said most people on swarm want to not spend any more $. When they do I would suggest hiring a damn good out of state attorney to look at actions against one or 2 individuals on BOR members. No harm in looking.