You are blaming collins. Lol. Its todd. End todd. Start there

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The option talk is just dumb. From 2010-2018 we were 54-54 against FBS opponents, many of whom (like Clemson and Georgia) have gotten better. And that includes a 10-3 FBS record in the miracle year of 2014 (and we lost to Duke). If that's the best we can hope for, let's move to FCS and run the FCS offense.

However, even FCS is moving away from the option. Downfield blocking rules have changed, which a lot of folks clearly don't know. The Citadel is running less 3-O this year for exactly that reason. Navy isn't having the success they used to have. Army is 1-2.

So forget the option talk.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The option talk is just dumb. From 2010-2018 we were 54-54 against FBS opponents, many of whom (like Clemson and Georgia) have gotten better. And that includes a 10-3 FBS record in the miracle year of 2014 (and we lost to Duke). If that's the best we can hope for, let's move to FCS and run the FCS offense.

However, even FCS is moving away from the option. Downfield blocking rules have changed, which a lot of folks clearly don't know. The Citadel is running less 3-O this year for exactly that reason. Navy isn't having the success they used to have. Army is 1-2.

Most schools have option concepts in their playbook. "Option" is a general concept. There are MANY option offenses that don't rely on the blocking scheme that CPJ's Flex Option offense does. To rule out a coach because he runs some form of the option is short sighted.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Army's problem this year is the defense, and they are getting killed with depth/conditioning on that side. Close games against CCU and UTSA that dropped 400-500 yards on them and they pulled away in the 4th quarter. The rules haven't killed the flex by any means.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of discussion on this board about a new football coach. We are all aware of the financial challenges of taking action at this point given the economics at GTAA and the buyout clauses of the ridiculous contracts that were given over the years. I contend that whatever we do a this point with the coaching staff is irrelevant, certainly for this year. The person that needs to go is the AD. I don't know what kind of contract TS has, but given his performance over the last few years, why is he still around? He should be walked out immediately and replaced. Let the new person figure all of this out.

I don't sense that there are many people on this board that realize how much our program is on life support right now. CFB is moving ahead at lightning speed with the NIL rules, the SEC and B1G gobbling up teams, the playoff expansion, etc. The rich are getting richer and we are sliding hopelessly into irrelevance. If we do not get a competent AD in place NOW, and either get as serious about athletics as we are about academics, our big games aren't going to be against UGA and Clemson. They're going to be against Western Carolina and Citadel, and even those will be toss-up.

Action needs to occur now.
EXACTLY !! With CFB as it is now, ADs should realize if they take a :poop: on hiring a FB coach, their job will be on the line. It's "kinda a big deal".....(y)

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
The talent disparity has been there every year for the last 40 years.
1990 was only 32 years ago; we beat UGA then and the preceding year because we were bigger and strong and better coached. There’s been a few years since when we were on a par with UGA talent wise, but not many.

But the xfer portal and NIL is making the disparity even bigger today

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Before 2017 COFH, CPJ said stte that it was the best Georgia team he will have faced. We lost 38-7.

The gap has widened since then, with both schools playing a part.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Hmmmmmm. Let's see about Army, shall we?

Well, I hear you say, that's Villanova. True, but they were ranked 5th in the FCS and I doubt Tech could beat them. Oh, and watch and see if the downfield blocking appears to have suffered. I've seen one game - Air Force v. Wyoming - where this might have been the case, but Air Force doesn't have a real running QB. Neither does Navy, apparently. I think the early problems of the academies are largely due to the "when the leaves change, the offense begins to cook" problem we saw at Tech. It always takes a few games to get untracked. Army plays Georgia State in 2 weeks. That game will really tell us something.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I think the exact phrase you were looking for is “When the leaves start turnin’ the option starts churnin’ ”

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmmm. Let's see about Army, shall we?

Well, I hear you say, that's Villanova. True, but they were ranked 5th in the FCS and I doubt Tech could beat them. Oh, and watch and see if the downfield blocking appears to have suffered. I've seen one game - Air Force v. Wyoming - where this might have been the case, but Air Force doesn't have a real running QB. Neither does Navy, apparently. I think the early problems of the academies are largely due to the "when the leaves change, the offense begins to cook" problem we saw at Tech. It always takes a few games to get untracked. Army plays Georgia State in 2 weeks. That game will really tell us something.

Man, watching all that misdirection leading to big gains brings back happy memories.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Just heard someone on ESPNU radio that could be a good candidate for AD. Her name is Katie Pate, and she is Assistant AD at App State. Very articulate, very smart, great background. Not a “football person” per se, but she’s worked at both Marshall and App State, both with winning FB traditions.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT needs someone from the outside. This is how we avoid the "GT echo chamber", and that echo chamber is a BIG reason why TStan and Collins are currently here. Don't get me wrong, outside of CGC, I think TStan has done a great job, but the CGC situation has almost negated all the good he's done at GT.

Is there value in knowing how GT operates? Sure, but that can be learned over time.

Homer Rice, widely considered our best modern day AD, came from outside the GT bubble. Dan Radakovich, for all of his criticisms, got us into the B1G (it's not his fault GT turned it down), and he hired CPJ. DRad also came from outside of the GT bubble.

GT athletic department needs someone who has a big vision, a different view point, and someone who solves problems by thinking outside of the box. This has been lacking from the our athletic department leadership for a while now.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It goes above the current AD. It goes to 20 years of bad financial decisions.

This is a couple of years ago, but the situation isn't really that different and it is why the 2020 campaign was so important.
We still have over $300MM in debt to deal with - including a big payment in 2023 (likely a note coming due). We are paying roughly $14MM yr in debt payments.

DRad (and others) were fantastic at building pretty buildings but then was horrible at leaving enough money to pay for coaches and others that would work in them.

I could care less whether TStan stays or goes, but really his #1 task, way above everything else, was try to get the AA under control from a spending & expenses standpoint and get it on a more firm financial footing. He has actually been doing that pretty well.
Having a poor FB program doesn't help though.

As others have mentioned - it was time to move on from the option, but CPJ's program was starved to death by the AA and boosters who didn't want him here. Unlike when Collins was hired and they opened their pocketbooks to fund the program more, the boosters specifically refused to make additional funds available to CPJ's program when they were requested.

Where we are now has largely been in the process of coming for over a decade, it has just taken that long to fully manifest itself.

Ultimately when you don't have money your options tend to be pretty limited and GT AA does not have much money.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
As others have mentioned - it was time to move on from the option, but CPJ's program was starved to death by the AA and boosters who didn't want him here. Unlike when Collins was hired and they opened their pocketbooks to fund the program more, the boosters specifically refused to make additional funds available to CPJ's program when they were requested.
You know, that makes me fume. I wish those boosters who took that stance would identify themselves and own up to how they failed GT. I wouldn't share a drink with them at a tailgate if I knew who they were...not that they do that probably and I'm sure they don't care.

But man up. Say "It's My Fault" because my ego convinced me I know football just because I was prepared and happed to be in the right place to get rich. So I moved us from a winning team to the laughing-stock of college football so that I could play big boy booster.

They need to wear a special (Bulldog) Red Letter A on their GT hat. You can fill in the blank on what the A stands for.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You know, that makes me fume. I wish those boosters who took that stance would identify themselves and own up to how they failed GT. I wouldn't share a drink with them at a tailgate if I knew who they were...not that they do that probably and I'm sure they don't care.

But man up. Say "It's My Fault" because my ego convinced me I know football just because I was prepared and happed to be in the right place to get rich. So I moved us from a winning team to the laughing-stock of college football so that I could play big boy booster.

They need to wear a special (Bulldog) Red Letter A on their GT hat. You can fill in the blank on what the A stands for.
It's a little bit of revisionist history as some have described the booster involvement. I think folks are conflating the process of hiring CGC with what happened (or didn't happen) while CPJ was still coach.

Generally speaking, TStan opened up the doors to funding for CPJ. MBob was the issue as he didn't fundraise nor support CPJ in a material way. Funds were largely available. We just didn't have an AD who was effective.

“When Todd got here,” Johnson answered. “And I think he saw the locker room and realized how far behind we were in facilities and those type of things. I appreciate his leadership in it. I think, as I’ve said before, I think he gets it. I think he understands what we need to be able to compete, and he’s working hard to get us back up on that level.”
“I mean, he was, like (here, Johnson made a look of horror) when he walked in and saw what we were dealing with,” Johnson said. “It’s like, you couldn’t say it as a head coach because if you do – ‘Well, he’s making excuses.’ But it’s refreshing to have the AD come in and go, ‘Hey, look, we’ve been playing with our hands tied behind our back.’ So you look forward to that.”
While the competition to improve facilities and add staff does not end, Johnson has not had much to complain about with regard to commitment.

“Dan was a football guy,” Johnson said. “Now we’re back with Todd and (deputy AD Mark Rountree), and those guys, I feel like everybody’s on the same page, and they get it.”