You are blaming collins. Lol. Its todd. End todd. Start there

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No it starts with the money people who didn't like the look of the triple option and didn't like being embarrassed by being different.
Yes. That's it.

I've told this story before. I'm sitting at a Tech game in (I think) 2011. We were doing the typical for those days: 4 yards and a cloud of dust. An old guy (and that tells you something; I was 65) behind me suddenly started grousing, "I want some excitement! Why can't I see some excitement?" We were ahead by 2 TDs at the time and it was the 3rd quarter. Two plays later Smith broke one for about 20 yards.

I wanted to turn around and say, "How's that for excitement?" But I didn't. I figured it was pointless and that as long as Paul kept winning it would continue to be. But I was wrong. And now we are paying for attitudes like his. Too bad, that.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a lot of discussion on this board about a new football coach. We are all aware of the financial challenges of taking action at this point given the economics at GTAA and the buyout clauses of the ridiculous contracts that were given over the years. I contend that whatever we do a this point with the coaching staff is irrelevant, certainly for this year. The person that needs to go is the AD. I don't know what kind of contract TS has, but given his performance over the last few years, why is he still around? He should be walked out immediately and replaced. Let the new person figure all of this out.

I don't sense that there are many people on this board that realize how much our program is on life support right now. CFB is moving ahead at lightning speed with the NIL rules, the SEC and B1G gobbling up teams, the playoff expansion, etc. The rich are getting richer and we are sliding hopelessly into irrelevance. If we do not get a competent AD in place NOW, and either get as serious about athletics as we are about academics, our big games aren't going to be against UGA and Clemson. They're going to be against Western Carolina and Citadel, and even those will be toss-up.

Action needs to occur now.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
The money guys at GT didn't like there UGA buddies making fun of GT's "Highschool Offense". They were embarrassed. How utterly pathetic and weak minded.
JMO
Exactly. That high school offense beat UGA 3 times in Athens. Probably should have won in 2009 but Nesbitt went down in the 3rd quarter and messed up our chances. It was UGA who should have been embarrassed.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. That high school offense beat UGA 3 times in Athens. Probably should have won in 2009 but Nesbitt went down in the 3rd quarter and messed up our chances. It was UGA who should have been embarrassed.
Ugh. That game was hard to sit through. Losing to the worst uga team in recent years with arguably our best team under CPJ. Ouch.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We can not beat UGA or Clemson regardless of offense even with Johnson and 3O. Both have been far better in the last 5 years versus earlier in Johnson's tenure. The talent disparity is too big. But we could certainly be competitive with everyone else and not look so weak.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The fact that CGC wasn't terminated on Saturday or Sunday tells you everything you need to know.

Either ADTS can't admit his mistake, doesn't have the guts to fire a losing HC, or doesn't have enough pull with the money guys to get this done.

Not sure which is worst, but the fish stinks from the head down.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
We can not beat UGA or Clemson regardless of offense even with Johnson and 3O. Both have been far better in the last 5 years versus earlier in Johnson's tenure. The talent disparity is too big. But we could certainly be competitive with everyone else and not look so weak.
The talent disparity has been there every year for the last 40 years.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The seven year contract was dumb, like most Tech coaching contracts for the last 20 years. I wish they would let me negotiate the contracts. I guarantee I could do better.

My take on the rest of the problem is different than most. The staff we had for the last three years did a poor job of talent evaluation. They seemed to be recruiting solely according to star ratings on 247 and Rivals. The result is that we have an offense with 2 skill position players who are playmakers--McCollum and Smith, and Smith isn't 100%. That's it. The WR and TE positions are just sad. My starting QB would be different--not sure who, but someone with a burning desire to win.

We have some OL talent--for the first time in 4 seasons---but experience counts there. They are young, but can Key develop them? I have my doubts.

Otherwise, I don't care who the head coach is, you'd have a hard time putting together a better offensive staff.

My solution would be to replace Key and Thacker and give the new staff a chance. At that point we would have 90% new assistants without a total buyout we can't afford.

However, the torch and pitchfork gang is out, so it's probably too late for alternatives. The FANaticS want blood and won't be satisfied until they get it.