Yomanser's Recruiting Roundup - 2/6/19 First Edition Analysis

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Great analysis. Hopefully, your credibility on this site plus your post above will add support to the idea that is definitely OK to be positive and upbeat at the moment, most especially in the absence of any real data or facts to the contrary.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Running Backs Coach: Tashard Choice
Grade: B+
Analysis: While he's still a little young and unproven, Coach Choice was an excellent decision for running backs coach. He connects extremely well with his players, and gets the best out of them. He has had high success when he played himself, and can attest to what it takes to succeed in that regard. He still has to prove himself a little bit on the recruiting trail, but so far, he has also been the single hardest worker outside of Coach Collins in that regard, and I think he will end up a truly dynamic recruiter, especially learning from the head ball coach. I love the hire, and can't wait to see more from him
Pluses: Player Connections & Motivation; Enthusiasm & Passion; Area Connections; High Success as a Player; Alum

Maybe some nostalgia here, but big fan of TC and think he's going to do great things for us here.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I like the mix of coaches.
"gt knowledge from all recent eras".
" big power 5 program experience. "
"smaller school- do it with less staff."
"NFL playing experience "

Add a great marketing graphics staff and a dynamo head coach who is a natural salesmen . This makes us in my opinion perfectly staffed for phase 1. Good job tstan and cgc.

Now on to phase 2

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Choice and Days always reminded me of each other. Both guys very charismatic and driven. I think Choice will be a great recruiter and have to believe he’s very capable coaching backs with all of his experience.

Coleman should likewise be able to coach his guys up. You don’t play as long as he did in the NFL without having great technique. Should be a good position coach. Recruiting? No idea what his personality is honestly. But with all the “high energy juice” guys on staff I’m kind of hoping he may be a more down to earth, calm, straight shooter type to help balance the personalities on staff. Diversity is good.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Finally, I wanted to go over one thing more, this video that was posted by the Georgia Tech Football Twitter account:

I cannot begin to tell you just how much I love this video. Literally everything about it. I love the fact that they are showing the staff getting excited in this capacity. I love how they showed this publicly. I love that Brent Key is just clapping because to him, a 4-star is standard. I love the enthusiasm Tashard Choice shows when he lands him. I love the 'frozen-in-place' posture that Dave Patenaude gets when he realizes just how many weapons he will have offensively next year. I love the little personal handshake thing between co-defensive coordinators Andrew Thacker and Nate Burton. I love that Coach Collins got his staff together to watch this and be excited over it. I love the unity and camaraderie the staff already has, as it will seep down into the team and everyone will be better because of it. This video is the greatest video I have seen Georgia Tech Football put out, and I need so much more of it. It already has me pumped up, and I can't wait for next season to start

That is all for this edition. I wanted to split up the signing day editions because how just how much info and how long they will be, so look for the next installment in a few days. As always, I appreciate any and all feedback, and I am more than happy to welcome comments and thoughts on the above. Let me know if you have any more questions or need clarification on anything

As always you insight is much appreciated and highly regarded. Thanks @Yomanser

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Excellent analysis @Yomanser. As usual, I agree on almost all points. The question I'd like your opinion on is the oversigning. We are currently sitting three (technically four with Braun) scholarships over the limit, and other than Braun, there haven't been any outward indications of transfers. Do you know if CGC is aware of transfers or will this staff "process" current players to make room?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Excellent analysis @Yomanser. As usual, I agree on almost all points. The question I'd like your opinion on is the oversigning. We are currently sitting three (technically four with Braun) scholarships over the limit, and other than Braun, there haven't been any outward indications of transfers. Do you know if CGC is aware of transfers or will this staff "process" current players to make room?
He has alluded to roster management many times. And in the last interview he has said we will have to see where the current roster fits in. Reading between the lines, if you don’t buy in or fit in our plans.........

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I for one hope the have a firm set of metrics for being Above The Line.

With his and key's ( sorry for mentioning his name) knowledge of what was ATL for Ala, MSU (when they were #1) and UF, we should be able to show kids what 100% looks like. Then show players where they rate using ratios for strength and speed and stick to it . We need to reward those guys that win the player devlopment battle . (A 6 ft 300# og w short arms and slow shuttle needs 20% more bench and squat than a 6-5 long arms and quick foot guy. - holding is legal).

We need to be the best conditioned team at the point of attack.

I hope they have a way to measure and develop that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He has alluded to roster management many times. And in the last interview he has said we will have to see where the current roster fits in. Reading between the lines, if you don’t buy in or fit in our plans.........

"IF?" What if every single current player on the current roster buys in? What then? For years we've cried foul at the factories for this kind of nonsense. I don't understand why it's suddenly OK if we start doing it.

Now, if he knew ahead of time of some transfers/departures that is one thing. I pray we never start processing players out of our system, with the exception of behavior/academic failures.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
"IF?" What if every single current player on the current roster buys in? What then? For years we've cried foul at the factories for this kind of nonsense. I don't understand why it's suddenly OK if we start doing it.

Now, if he knew ahead of time of some transfers/departures that is one thing. I pray we never start processing players out of our system, with the exception of behavior/academic failures.

Agree 100%.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Just worth reading again.
That is all.