1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Yomanser's Recruiting Roundup - 2/6/19 First Edition Analysis

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Yomanser, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Cam

Cam Helluva Engineer

Well, on the topic of coaching grades, let's look at Geoff Collins' report card for every coaching grade I could find with a Google search:
    CBS (Tom Fornelli): B+
    CBS (Dennis Dodd): B
    The Athletic (Stewart Mandel): A-
    GT Swarm (Yomanser): A+
    SB Nation (Jason Kirk): A
    Big Red Louie (Ethan Sprowles): B
    ChatSports (Tom Downey): B-
    Orlando Sentinel (Matt Murschel): A
    Sports Illustrated (Joan Nielsen): 4.2/5 (grade A, since the highest given rating was a 4.4)

That's good for a 3.55 GPA, which coincidentally is the cut off for "Highest Honors" at Georgia Tech.

augustabuzz, gt02, CuseJacket and 7 others like this.
  2. YellowJacketFan2018

YellowJacketFan2018 Ramblin' Wreck

Unfortunately ESPN's Gerry Hamilton,Tom Luginbill and Craig Haubert gave Geoff Collins a C

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...des-every-power-5-program&redirected=true#ACC

3. Cam

Cam Helluva Engineer

That's a signing day grade, I was just reporting the hiring grades. That being said, that's a pretty pitiful grade for what was a pretty solid class. 247 ranks our class 9th and Rivals ranks it 8th out of the 14 ACC teams, which I trust much more than the ESPN grades.

4. GTpdm

GTpdm Helluva Engineer

If that was the 2014 Orange Bowl in your avatar, objection sustained.

vamosjackets, okiemon and flounder like this.
  5. Yomanser

Yomanser Recruiting Insider Staff Member

I have no clue what rule that is, to be honest. I did a search, and couldn't find anything regarding that rule. I think it is more likely that he was saying that Coach Collins has about one year (or, in other words, he has up until Georgia Tech's first game) to get the number of scholarships on roster down to 85

6. Yomanser

Honestly, I think in the long run it likely was the right call to go with a clean slate in regards to the staff, even though some of the better coaches had to leave in order for that to happen. I hope they all find their right landing spots

CTJacket likes this.
  7. YellowJacketFan2018

Pleasant memories of the 2014 Orange Bowl

8. YellowJacketFan2018

Great points you make,Cam

9. Yomanser

Essentially, he is the top guy who oversees recruiting and assists in roster management. He is the one who sets up the recruiting operations at Georgia Tech, and in charge of "consistent day-in, day-out operation to recruiting, so the staff knows what they're doing from the social media side, to the mail-out side, to the film and evaluation side"

10. Yomanser

He was the special teams coordinator at FIU and assisted in that task at Western Carolina, and during that time FIU ranked in the top 20 of all FBS teams for kickoff return yardage. He also assisted with special teams in Indianapolis with the Colts and Chuck Pagano, and helped rank top in categories for most special teams

COJacket, GTRock, TechBurn and 4 others like this.
  11. Yomanser

I think he has a good idea now as to likely transfers, and after spring ball I expect a lot of guys are going to transfer out on their own. I don't think there will be much "processing", if any at all

COJacket, GTRock, UgaBlows and 3 others like this.
  12. savjacket9

savjacket9 Jolly Good Fellow

So....when are we getting part 2? :)

13. Yomanser

Thank you for this. I guess I am the biggest "homer" out of the bunch, haha, but I also think that just because we didn't land the biggest name this cycle, that doesn't mean we may have had the best hire

14. Yomanser

Hopefully very, very, soon. I am working on touching it up. Real life caught up just after this was posted, and kept me from the site for several days. Thanks to all for your patience!

15. flounder

flounder Helluva Engineer

[​IMG]

augustabuzz, GT14, croberts and 2 others like this.
  16. THWG

THWG Helluva Engineer

The original fingerpoint.

17. FrostedOrange

FrostedOrange Helluva Engineer

Yall think luginbill will show for legends of the flats? ;)

18. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

dang , do you think they copied the new GT gold bb floor color from this ? the similarity is .......

19. TheTechGuy

TheTechGuy Helluva Engineer

I'm not sold on CGC, but that article is for "midterm grades;" I am not sure why ESPN chose to post the article on 2/7. The "C" grade doesn't account for signing Griffin. There is reason to believe that Griffin signed solely to play with his brother, but credit to CGC where due. The grade should be higher than a "C."

20. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Did you order the code red?

vamosjackets and furant like this.