Yomanser's Recruiting Roundup - 2/6/19 First Edition Analysis

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Well, on the topic of coaching grades, let's look at Geoff Collins' report card for every coaching grade I could find with a Google search:
CBS (Tom Fornelli): B+
CBS (Dennis Dodd): B
The Athletic (Stewart Mandel): A-
GT Swarm (Yomanser): A+
SB Nation (Jason Kirk): A
Big Red Louie (Ethan Sprowles): B
ChatSports (Tom Downey): B-
Orlando Sentinel (Matt Murschel): A
Sports Illustrated (Joan Nielsen): 4.2/5 (grade A, since the highest given rating was a 4.4)

That's good for a 3.55 GPA, which coincidentally is the cut off for "Highest Honors" at Georgia Tech.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Well, on the topic of coaching grades, let's look at Geoff Collins' report card for every coaching grade I could find with a Google search:
Sports Illustrated (Joan Nielsen): 4.2/5 (grade A, since the highest given rating was a 4.4)

That's good for a 3.55 GPA, which coincidentally is the cut off for "Highest Honors" at Georgia Tech.
Unfortunately ESPN's Gerry Hamilton,Tom Luginbill and Craig Haubert gave Geoff Collins a C

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...des-every-power-5-program&redirected=true#ACC

Cam

Helluva Engineer

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Can you go over the supposed rule that Tom Lugginbill referred to, that new head coaches get one year from the hire date on adjusting the 85 man roster?
I have no clue what rule that is, to be honest. I did a search, and couldn't find anything regarding that rule. I think it is more likely that he was saying that Coach Collins has about one year (or, in other words, he has up until Georgia Tech's first game) to get the number of scholarships on roster down to 85

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Just my opinion, if you're taking risks on staff, RB and DL are the places to do it (a little less mental and more talent and minor technique teaching). I think Tashard is going to tear up in South ATL.

Coleman is a little light on resume, but had a successful NFL career and has also helped in total development (finances primarily). Whether he would've been offered the job if he wasnt a Tech alum probably has some merit.

Caralla seems like a home run hire. At least from the motivation side.

My lingering question is did the whole staff need to be replaced? I think McCollum and Riase could've fit with the new culture, but sometimes you just need to make your mark.

I also kind of would have liked someone with HC experience. From my understanding, CGC does have some game management issues, but he'll learn those with time.
Honestly, I think in the long run it likely was the right call to go with a clean slate in regards to the staff, even though some of the better coaches had to leave in order for that to happen. I hope they all find their right landing spots

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Thanks for the recap! Can you go into specifics for what the job duties are for Suddes? He got a big shout out from CGC in the press conference today so I wonder what all he does to be held in such high regard. Being able to take Malzahn's right hand man sounds like it was HUGE!
Essentially, he is the top guy who oversees recruiting and assists in roster management. He is the one who sets up the recruiting operations at Georgia Tech, and in charge of "consistent day-in, day-out operation to recruiting, so the staff knows what they're doing from the social media side, to the mail-out side, to the film and evaluation side"

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Thanks for the summary!! Any other details on why you think Popovich is so good for ST? I assume you mean ST coverages and returns. Or does that include kicker development?
He was the special teams coordinator at FIU and assisted in that task at Western Carolina, and during that time FIU ranked in the top 20 of all FBS teams for kickoff return yardage. He also assisted with special teams in Indianapolis with the Colts and Chuck Pagano, and helped rank top in categories for most special teams

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Excellent analysis @Yomanser. As usual, I agree on almost all points. The question I'd like your opinion on is the oversigning. We are currently sitting three (technically four with Braun) scholarships over the limit, and other than Braun, there haven't been any outward indications of transfers. Do you know if CGC is aware of transfers or will this staff "process" current players to make room?
I think he has a good idea now as to likely transfers, and after spring ball I expect a lot of guys are going to transfer out on their own. I don't think there will be much "processing", if any at all

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff

Thank you for this. I guess I am the biggest "homer" out of the bunch, haha, but I also think that just because we didn't land the biggest name this cycle, that doesn't mean we may have had the best hire

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
If that was the 2014 Orange Bowl in your avatar, objection sustained.

mississippi_state_vs_georgia_tech_0878.jpg

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately ESPN's Gerry Hamilton,Tom Luginbill and Craig Haubert gave Geoff Collins a C

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...des-every-power-5-program&redirected=true#ACC
I'm not sold on CGC, but that article is for "midterm grades;" I am not sure why ESPN chose to post the article on 2/7. The "C" grade doesn't account for signing Griffin. There is reason to believe that Griffin signed solely to play with his brother, but credit to CGC where due. The grade should be higher than a "C."