Yellow Jackets 2020 Class

LibertyTurns

Banned
We'll need more 4-stars to stay in the top 25. Only one team in the top 40 last year had an average star ranking on 247 that was lower than ours currently is, Baylor at 36th. VT finished at 26th with seven 4-stars. To put it into perspective, Florida had seventeen 4-stars and finished 9th.
Does anyone really think that a team with one 4* and eleven 3* deserves to be ranked over a team with one 5*, six 4* and zero 3* or below? I hate the mutt as much as anyone but that’s a stretch. If anyone wants to bet on GT ends up being ranked higher than the mutt come signing day let me know where I can come get your money.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone really think that a team with one 4* and eleven 3* deserves to be ranked over a team with one 5*, six 4* and zero 3* or below? I hate the mutt as much as anyone but that’s a stretch. If anyone wants to bet on GT ends up being ranked higher than the mutt come signing day let me know where I can come get your money.

Beating the mutts on signing day isn't the point. No one expects to. The point is we are building momentum and showing all the top recruits that GT is a place people WANT to play. We are a hot program on the rise in people's minds right now.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Early commits. That's a good thing, as it shows these players are worried if they don't accept early that they might lose their offered spot to another player...and they want to be here. We need to see three or four 4* to start the rebuild.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The good thing about getting this number of quality 3 stars this early is that we we will not be trying to recruit 15-17 or so players next year. This will allow us to concentrate our efforts on recruiting 6 to 8 four and five star talent to fill our quota which tend to commit later when the competition for these players heats up, assuming we don't lose too many of these early commits.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to be realistic, and until we see a significant number of 4 star guys (at least 4-6) choose us over factories, especially big nasties, I am going to keep it real. I am rooting for this staff - they still have to consider who they offer and whether they will focus on the academic side enough to stay eligible. This is not and has never been easy, but again, rooting for a top 25 class with several 4 star recruits.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody know what kind of net we are casting? Are we focusing too much on the 404? I've always thought in order to find the elite athletic prospect with elite academic chops as well, we needed to cast a larger more national net. Focusing efforts in the NE private schools is a good place to start, but there are highly regarded academic programs with great players all over the country, some in metro Atlanta. We were promised elite players, not just an early fill up of the class. Not to take away from our commits potential to be elite, but that's a different story than elite recruits outright.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody know what kind of net we are casting? Are we focusing too much on the 404? I've always thought in order to find the elite athletic prospect with elite academic chops as well, we needed to cast a larger more national net. Focusing efforts in the NE private schools is a good place to start, but there are highly regarded academic programs with great players all over the country, some in metro Atlanta. We were promised elite players, not just an early fill up of the class. Not to take away from our commits potential to be elite, but that's a different story than elite recruits outright.

I agree about the NE kids being a good all around fit. But the depth of talent isn't anything close to what it is here. A top 10 player up there may not crack the top 50 here. There isn't a path to success for GT that doesn't include a heavy dose of Georgia talent. As for the elites, most of them won't commit til Summer or even Fall, so it is strange to lament our lack of them in April We have one, for sure, and at least 3 that may well reach that status in their senior seasons. We are doing exyremely well right now. Its hard to see how we could be doing much better this early.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Not that I’m not excited about a lot of the guys we have committed but this post probably isn’t going to age well.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Who’s to say we don’t have elite players? These are some very premature analysis

Why no one can understand that there has been 1 Rivals evaluation so far for the 2020 class?

I fully expect Wiggles to be 4*. Williams and Gleason missed the Rivals camp, so they have to wait until for a bump. When Height and Baker commits, that’ll be 4 4* before the season. Now we can focus on guys like Marks, Webb, getting 3 more OLineman and 2 DTs like Jaysen Jones

Our net is very wide
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2020-Football/Offers/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Who’s to say we don’t have elite players? These are some very premature analysis

Why no one can understand that there has been 1 Rivals evaluation so far for the 2020 class?

I fully expect Wiggles to be 4*. Williams and Gleason missed the Rivals camp, so they have to wait until for a bump. When Height and Baker commits, that’ll be 4 4* before the season. Now we can focus on guys like Marks, Webb, getting 3 more OLineman and 2 DTs like Jaysen Jones

Our net is very wide
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2020-Football/Offers/
Fair enough.

One question, why are all the uncommitted 4*’s listed as “cool” on GT?

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Fair enough.

Nah, they’re saying “GT is cool” ;)

Kidding aside, I don’t think recruiting services cover us well or take us seriously . We’re probably a little underrated, still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can see and understand the strategy being used by the staff. Create a lot of hype by getting the early high rating by having high numbers even if they’re just three stars. But there’s a pitfall waiting ahead. Our rating is going to slowly decline over time. Week after week it’s going to get worse and worse and worse as other programs start to fill up. What does that do to the hype train?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough.

Good point on the uncommitted 4* cool.
I don't know how frequently that could accurately be updated.

I know previouly we had one coach go to area to scout all under consideration talent. Then postion coach visited & or offered (after getting approval). Seems like we have skipped the area step.

I LIKE the ATL first and foremost recruiting. Been kind of surprised by offers high talent at rural schools as the academics could be an issue. Most athletes need to get AP classes and get here early for summer classes . Some very smart ones get way ahead and move on after 3 years. For a kid in "country" school he needs to work hard now to get ready for gt. Previous team was going to better schools and academies for academic athletes. Let's hope the new staff added is filtering diamonds in these smaller schools.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I can see and understand the strategy being used by the staff. Create a lot of hype by getting the early high rating by having high numbers even if they’re just three stars. But there’s a pitfall waiting ahead. Our rating is going to slowly decline over time. Week after week it’s going to get worse and worse and worse as other programs start to fill up. What does that do to the hype train?
Well what do you want them to do if a 3 star player wants to commit tell them before we except your commitment we would like to see if we can get the 4 and 5 star players to commit. I look at it like this if we studied their tapes and made an offer to them we felt like they could help us. Or I guess we could do like Alabama wait till the last week and tell some they will need to gray shirt or we just don't have room for them. In short I don't think we would make an offer to a player we didn't think could help us, so first come .

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
IMO, so far we have gotten a modest bump in recruiting due to the coaches working very hard, and all the hype. But , unless we AT LEAST match last year's W-L record, go to a bowl and win it ( or at least show up- not like last year), the momentum will grind to a halt.
TOP players don't want, or need, to work through a rebuild taking 2-3 years. I am optimistic we can match/ exceed last year's record, but that will be COACHING , not recruiting or hype.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The hype train, mantra is not for u or the fans , it's for the recruits.

When u START into business ( say its engineering consulting where u have to get clients to pay for services , if u can quickly get a good number of quality emengineers to commit to join. You never get the really good engineer first as he has a great job. Once he sees the company is quickly up and running u have a chance for him to come in with a ready made partner position. The top gt recruits watch the film on thier future class mates and look at coach Collins and the players tweets ( hype) .

I hope we get more 4 stars as we round out the class. The fast start is what is vital TODAY.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well what do you want them to do if a 3 star player wants to commit tell them before we except your commitment we would like to see if we can get the 4 and 5 star players to commit. I look at it like this if we studied their tapes and made an offer to them we felt like they could help us. Or I guess we could do like Alabama wait till the last week and tell some they will need to gray shirt or we just don't have room for them. In short I don't think we would make an offer to a player we didn't think could help us, so first come .

Yes, I agree. The “current 2020 recruiting rankings” are currently wayyyyy too early.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
IMO, so far we have gotten a modest bump in recruiting due to the coaches working very hard, and all the hype. But , unless we AT LEAST match last year's W-L record, go to a bowl and win it ( or at least show up- not like last year), the momentum will grind to a halt.
TOP players don't want, or need, to work through a rebuild taking 2-3 years. I am optimistic we can match/ exceed last year's record, but that will be COACHING , not recruiting or hype.
I agree winning helps but sometimes you have to look for top players who want to be part of something special . would it be easy no but it can be done and if anyone can these group of coaches can do it.