Ye Olde Question: What will be the first offensive play on Thursday?

Deleted member 2897

4-wide, trips and 1. Camp is wide on one side, Carter, Brown and Graham trips. Graham lines up off the line, then steps further back after the snap. Quick screen to Graham off the snap. Deep post to Camp from Graham. 7-0 Jackets after 18 seconds. We then fumble 2 times and throw 6 interceptions, ultimately losing 52-13.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to be interesting to see what Patenaude can accomplish with the players he has on the offensive side.

I feel sorry for Patenaude. It’s certainly not a good thing to have the defending national champions as your season-opening opponent. And to top it off, the game is on national television and on their home turf, too.

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
With so many of CPJ's players still on the roster and everyone expecting the new pro offense, they'll line up in the shotgun formation, switch to the option look and pitch the ball for a touchdown on the first play. (I like the idea of throwing in the option every now and then, when no one's expecting it -- especially since we have all the players experienced with it. What surprised me looking back at old films of 1990, we ran the option quite a bit back then. For some reason I always remembered that being a pure pro-style offense.)

Can we run the TO with our O-linemen in a 3-point stance?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Can we run the TO with our O-linemen in a 3-point stance?

Yes. I've mentioned this on here before, but one of my favorite two year periods in GSU football history was 2013 and 2014. Jeff Monken had returned to GSU and redeemed some bad years with the flexbone. Willie Fritz came in after Monken left for Army, installed an option based shotgun and pistol spread, and the offense didn't miss a beat.

Man, I hope Patenaude is smart enough to do something like that...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I've mentioned this on here before, but one of my favorite two year periods in GSU football history was 2013 and 2014. Jeff Monken had returned to GSU and redeemed some bad years with the flexbone. Willie Fritz came in after Monken left for Army, installed an option based shotgun and pistol spread, and the offense didn't miss a beat.

Fritz's offense was fun to watch...and put up some crazy numbers.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Good offensive highlights from that 2014 GSU team (sadly a lot against us). That was a straight up flexbone under center roster built by Monken.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I suspect it will be a quick hitting short pass. If I had to put money on it, I’d decline the bet but that is what I am feeling.

Taking a step further I suspect it will be a dump pass to the TE. Something high percentage to get our QB their first completion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Team is going to be on the road in a very hostile environment against the defending champs, very likely starting a QB who has not played in that environment.

So my bet is on outside zone or a quick little pass depending on how Clemson sets up. Hopefully have a positive play - see how Clemson lines up - and go to work.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Fritz was at Sam Houston during the time Baylor was air raiding o u, texas etc. R griffin 3 was all world qb. Tons of Texas hs coaches flocked to Sam Houston to see Friz s offense.
Coach P seems to be highly cerebral and not connected to any set offense. Hope he can get players to execute.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, on the first play I'd stay conservative and run a dive play just to get the players their first physical contact over with. Build confidence during the first quarter. I don't think it is a good idea to run the no huddle - hurry up offense at the beginning. Run some clock, get some first downs. Clemson has already played teams that run the hurry up offense. Hit them with the hurry up offense in the second quarter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
4 Verts, with TE read to break it off underneath the safety, and QB option to run if he doesn't get the look he wants.

Jmonty71

Banned
Nobody else has brought up this old chestnut yet, so I'll start.

I think it will be a post to Brown. If I was Coach, the first read I'd want from the Tigger D is if they have anybody who can keep pace with Brown. If we spring him or come close, the game gets a lot different right off the bat. It would be like throwing to Waller on the first play in the 2013 Georgia game; all of a sudden we knew we could hit a big play of Ugag and we kept doing it.
A ISO run to the right.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Rocket toss, wide side of the field.
To the short side to take advantage of the man advantage.

Seriously, I'd love for us to line up with 4 wide and then motion into the flexbone and run a triple just to piss off everybody.
Well, I don't know if you heard.... we run a player-based system, not a scheme-based system. And the coaching staff inherited a roster with 13 RB and "zero" tight ends. It's only logical.