WR's Practice this Week?

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
Any word on how the wide receivers have looked in practice this week? With Smelter injured no doubt FSU will key on stopping the run until we make them respect the pass. I hope our big WR's and JT are on the same page.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
Justin Thomas's accuracy is what is really important this week. Smelter made some big catches, but several were due to inaccurate passes. Thomas was inaccurate in the UGA game the first half. He needs to be money with his throws, in order to make his receivers look better. My biggest concern with the receivers are blocking. And I want Waller to play one complete game with high intensity. He always comes off as a loafer, and he needs to step up as the WR leader this week.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
anyone remember how easy Byerly was playing pitch and catch with Waller at the end of the Duke game? It looked unstoppable, he was just putting it up there where nobody else could catch it.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
To be honest it really doesn't matter how our WR's have looked in practice this week, we know what we have as a group...Summers is going to be the one we need to step up this week IMO.

As someone said above JT accuracy will be key this week...FSU is going to be bringing a lot of pressure until we can prove they shouldn't.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
To be honest it really doesn't matter how our WR's have looked in practice this week, we know what we have as a group...Summers is going to be the one we need to step up this week IMO.

As someone said above JT accuracy will be key this week...FSU is going to be bringing a lot of pressure until we can prove they shouldn't.

This!!

Smelter was such a great athlete with an excellent vertical, and he would bring down high passes throughout the year. JT is going to have to get the passes down for the other guys. Even Waller, as tall as he is, does not have the vertical capability or strong hands of Smelt.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder whether Waller can fill in more of the gap than we expect. I think Smelter and Justin have together created a situation where Justin looks first to DeAndre. Since he is great at getting open and catches everything, this has worked just fine. With no Smelter, it could be that if Justin looks onto Waller, he might be open almost as much. And I have a lot of faith in Waller bringing the pass in if thrown his way.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only real fear is that is is a mental block for JT....that he just had confidence in Smelter to go make a play and that he won't have that confidence in anyone else. That might lead him to not even throw the ball.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think Waller can do some damage this week. I also think Summers has the ability to make some plays ... we've seen that in spots - had one circus catch this year and one last year. Smelter has been so dominant though, that it's understandable that the others wouldn't get many opportunities. What Justin and Smelter had going just wasn't even fair sometimes. They had a great chemistry and feel for what the other was going to do. And Smelter was always the best athlete on the field, and that will be missed. But, we have an offense that can minimize that impact and some other guys who can make a different impact. I hope the other guys can immediately fill in for that chemistry and feeling for what the other is going to do.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Waller is more than capable of stepping up and being the #1 guy in Smelter’s absence IMO. I think the bigger problem might actually be not having “Waller” on the other side of the field to stretch the defense out. Summers really doesn’t provide the deep ball threat Waller provided for Smelter.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think all our receivers are helped out by having confidence JT can put the ball where he is supposed to.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
we missed a few to the abacks against uga. we'd have 14 on two of those plays. bostic had one that bounced off his finger tips and we would've found out how fast he is in the open field because he had 80 yards in front of him.

i like us getting our abacks and bbacks involved in the passing game. wheel routes and some screens.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The next two games will give us a glimpse of next years corp. I think we will be fine. Smelter was such a good 3rd and long possession receiver.